The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 1, 2015, 11:12 PM   #1
rcase1234

Which barrel for 20" build? And other info also appreciated!

Hey everyone. I'm beginning a build shortly (first one). I have had my 16" DPMS for a while now and have become quite knowledgable about the AR15. I'm looking at this barrel assembly from Del-Ton: http://www.del-ton.com/ProductDetail...T1004&CartID=1

Which barrel option would you choose? Government Profile? Heavy w/ Chrome lining? I know I want this assembly just don't know which barrel option to choose? Also if anyone has suggestions for parts (deals, what you recommend,etc.) please feel free to post!
Old February 1, 2015, 11:31 PM   #2
bfoosh006

What is your intended use for the new barrel ? Bench shooting ? Varmint Shooting ? 20" carry rifle ?

Different barrel choices for different uses.

Also.. I am not a fan of the 1n9 twist, 1n7 has never let me down. My 1n7 twist barrels all really like 50gr Fed. Tipped Varmint, for that matter every AR I have tried it in.

Last edited by bfoosh006; February 1, 2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old February 2, 2015, 12:07 AM   #3
rcase1234

Range toy and the occasional coyote hunting.
Old February 2, 2015, 08:21 AM   #4
Mobuck

If you're not concerned with weight, go with the H-Bar profile.
Old February 2, 2015, 12:32 PM   #5
rcase1234

I was thinking HBAR with chrome lining
Old February 2, 2015, 01:42 PM   #6
precision_shooter

Chrome lining is good for sustained rapid fire where the barrel will see extreme heat. Chrome lining is not ideal for a hunting/target rifle as they tend to be less accurate than non-chrome lined barrels. For a chrome lined barrel, they have to start with a bore that is larger than required for the caliber and then "fill it in" with chrome to the proper bore diameter. It's a lot harder to achieve the correct dimensions needed for good accuracy as well as keep the lining the same thickness for the entire length of the barrel.

I would stick with a good Chromoly steel barrel from a reputable mfg like Wilson. RRA uses Wilson barrels in their AR, and they are considered to be some of the most accurate factory built AR's available.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old February 2, 2015, 02:31 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

If it's just a casual use barrel, go straight chromoly or stainless (no plating/coating).

Quote:
I would stick with a good Chromoly steel barrel from a reputable mfg like Wilson. RRA uses Wilson barrels in their AR, and they are considered to be some of the most accurate factory built AR's available.
Wilson builds to contract specifications.

Just because they made "XX" barrel, doesn't mean that any other barrel they make will be good.
They do make some good barrels. But, they've made plenty of turds, as well. Just look into the hatred for Ruger barrels from the '70s and '80s, if you aren't familiar with the situation: The problems all stemmed from Wilson barrels that were made as cheaply as possible, to meet Ruger's (then) ridiculously low standards.

If you buy a Wilson barrel, make sure it is from a reputable company. Not all Wilson barrels are created equal.

To further prove the point (somewhat)....
Some, but not all, Del-Ton barrels are made with Wilson barrel blanks.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; February 2, 2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old February 2, 2015, 02:34 PM   #8
Erno86

Check out the nitride plated bores, which are smoother than chrome lined bores --- Or a White Oak stainless fluted 20" barrel, in a 223 Wylde chamber maybe?

--- George Orwell
Old February 2, 2015, 05:25 PM   #9
rcase1234

This is also a package deal everyone which I think is a good deal! Not out trying to make a precision rifle btw lol
Old February 3, 2015, 12:37 PM   #10
henschman

For coyote hunting, you probably want a slow twist so you can shoot the light, high velocity varmint rounds that have such spectacular ballistic results on small, soft targets like coyotes. 1/9 is pretty good for this. If you are dead set on Del-Ton (not my first choice, but whatever floats your boat), I'd go with the 1/9 chrome moly HBAR.
Old February 3, 2015, 02:50 PM   #11
Erno86

Quote:
I do not think nitriding spells the death knell for crome-lined bores. Companies like Criterion, that can chrome a bore evenly and smoothly, are not likely to stop doing what they excel at. But most chrome linings fall short in this area.

Some companies claiming claiming to nitride their barrels are actually using abbreviated processes like "gas nitriding" or "black nitriding" {not to be confused with Blacknitride, which is an H&M trademark for FNC} that skips steps in the QPQ process.

Unlike FNC, these methods do not leave a black finish on the barrel, so the steel must be further coated with Teflon, paint or some other finish to make them appear nitride. It pays to make sure you are getting the real deal --- SAE standard AMS-2753 --- when considering a nitride barrel.
Quote: Shooting Illustrated, Feb. 2015...Rifles

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; February 3, 2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old February 3, 2015, 09:42 PM   #12
Mobuck

"If you are dead set on Del-Ton (not my first choice, but whatever floats your boat), I'd go with the 1/9 chrome moly HBAR."

I've seen the DelTon 1-9 16" barrels turn in dime sized groups with 50 grain bullets consistently.
Even the M4-gery barrels seem to be super accurate and they're considerably lighter. I prefer the HBar profile 16" for a general purpose carbine. Slightly more weight out front steadies hold while not being obnoxious to carry.
Old February 3, 2015, 10:09 PM   #13
rcase1234

Thanks everyone for the replies. Also I'm regretting putting the "occasional coyote hunting" in there LOL. Mostly due to the fact this really isn't a coyote gun I can just see the possibility for that use. FOR THE MOST PART, this is just a range toy for some rapid Fire, paper targets, reactive targets, etc.
Old February 3, 2015, 10:58 PM   #14
candr44

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-2...410-samr-1.htm

I used this barrel on my rifle. I was just shooting with it today. I didn't shoot groups with it but my rifle easily bounced a tennis ball and soda can around at 100 yards.
Old February 4, 2015, 09:35 AM   #15
rcase1234

As much as I'd love a stainless barrel, $309 for JUST a barrel is a little steep on this build
Old February 4, 2015, 06:52 PM   #16
wachtelhund1

Check out http://www.blackholeweaponry.com/ they custom make all their barrels and have a whole list of wildcat calibers for ARs. I'm waiting on a 6.5X6.8 fluted barrel. If you buy from them, join their forum first make ten post and you'll get a 10% off the barrel price. I ordered my barrel a month before joining their forum then read about the discount. I asked and they gave me a refund.
Old February 4, 2015, 09:50 PM   #17
dusty14u

I built my last AR with the DelTon 20" HBar (DT 1013 ) and I like it quite a bit. I wanted a longer barrel with the F front sight. I am still working up loads for it and tried out any heavier bullets in it yet. It has been accurate so far but I haven't gotten under moa yet.