The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 11, 2012, 11:00 PM   #51
mayosligo

Still do not understand what they think the registry will solve. Do they think criminals will register their guns? If not, what is the point accept to control the law abiding masses.
Old February 11, 2012, 11:41 PM   #52
kilimanjaro

That's exactly the point.
Old February 12, 2012, 12:29 AM   #53
bitttorrrent

Spanishjames... I know someone would object to my agreeing with the registration cause then we will end up like England? I think where they progressively registered and than took all the guns pretty much.

That is the common fear, but I don't think it will happen. Other states are supposed to register guns. Even in MI you are supposed to register every handgun you own. Even if you move in and have 2+ huge gun safes full of them.

I think this is more accurate...
Quote:
Truthfully, there's not a chance that it would pass in the current environment. Rahm, is just, well, being Rahm
Old February 12, 2012, 12:35 AM   #54
MLeake

bitttorrent, only two of the states in which I've resided had registration laws: Hawaii and Rhode Island.

(Edit: I was a teenager in RI, and didn't have guns, so it didn't matter. When the Navy sent me to HI, I left all but two of my guns in storage at my parents' place, because I dislike registration. I won't move back to either state, gun laws being one of several reasons.)

Maine, Florida, Texas, Washington, Georgia, and Missouri do not.

Tell me what the benefit of a registration scheme is?

Or tell me why the states I listed are worse than states that have registration?

Government should always have to prove a real benefit, any time it wants to impose ANY restriction of ANY sort, let alone a restriction on a Constitutionally protected right.
Old February 13, 2012, 07:18 AM   #55
shaunpain

As a Chicagoan, who works in Chicago, lives about 2.5 miles from downtown, I can tell you that this registry business isn't big news here. After the high of getting our handguns back, I think there is little steam sufficient to bring this bill to fruition. I doubt many people would register their firearms given the history of disarmament through registration lists. Gun owners in the know just aren't that stupid. Like everyone else has said, "Sorry, officer, tragic boating accident you see..."
Old February 13, 2012, 06:04 PM   #56
C0untZer0

Part of the issue is that they're not interested in catching criminals, they are interested in rounding up firearms.

These proposals come from some erroneuous foundational beliefs:

1) That it's possible to pass laws which disarm criminals

2) That taking firearms away from criminals is going to cut down on crime, and taking firearms away from the rest of the population A) makes them and those around them safer, and B) restricts the supply of firearms to criminals.

Each one of these points is false, but it doesn't matter.

If the city was interested in catching criminals who use firearms in the commission of crimes they could. The state could increase the sentencing for UUW by a felon from 2 to 4 years to 15 to 30, with no plea bargaining, no reduced sentencing, no early release. Most felons are serving concurrent sentences for whatever crime they committed plus the weapons charge. It's actually not that hard to catch and convict them.

One of the criminals involved with murdering Officer Clifton Lewis in December of 2011 was arrested for UUW that came to light during a traffic stop. He had a weapon in his vehicle. When they do drug busts, they usua;lly have enough evidence to also charge the gang members with UUW charges. They could incarcerate the people who are actually perpatrating gun violence. They choose not to.
Old February 13, 2012, 06:53 PM   #57
C0untZer0

Initial response by some of the other Illinois elected officials:

http://www.bnd.com/2012/02/10/205258...k=omni_popular

Sen. Bill Haine, said:
Quote:
there's "just no damned way we're going to let that happen."
Old February 13, 2012, 07:53 PM   #58
rebs

The politicians cannot get the criminals so they settle for harassing and badgering law abiding citizens, making every attempt to trample on the 2nd amendment rights. It is disgusting and shameful the way they want to regulate people's rights.
Do some of these like minded officials get a kick back for trying to disarm the law abiding citizens, making them an easier target for the criminals ?
Old February 13, 2012, 08:11 PM   #59
C0untZer0

Quote:
Do some of these like minded officials get a kick back for trying to disarm the law abiding citizens, making them an easier target for the criminals ?
No not exactly, but the gangs do have political influence in Chicago which does tend to motivate the politicians there to propose solutions to crime that don't anger the gangs.

Yes it's crazy.

I'm posting this again:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...holy-Alliance/
Old February 14, 2012, 11:43 PM   #60
checkmyswag

It's a red herring issue.

Read about the financial situation in Illinois. If they can talk about anything but the budget and pension funding they'll be happy.
Old February 15, 2012, 12:46 PM   #61
GreySmoke

As a collector of modern handguns, registration fees would cost me in excess of the cost of my most expensive handgun. It may be cheaper to set up residence in another state. I really can wait until my family responsibilities are relieved and I'm able to leave this state permanently.
Old February 15, 2012, 01:37 PM   #62
Onward Allusion

Quote:
GreySmoke
As a collector of modern handguns, registration fees would cost me in excess of the cost of my most expensive handgun. It may be cheaper to set up residence in another state. I really can wait until my family responsibilities are relieved and I'm able to leave this state permanently.
It typically costs around $6,000 to $10,000 to move to another State. So that kinda equates to around 100-something handguns. I can definitely see some people moving out of IL for that, especially the older retired folks.
Old February 15, 2012, 03:45 PM   #63
shaunpain

What checkmyswag said, that is completely true. Anything to distract us is what they're selling. The Chicago Sun Times (my preferred paper) reported today that Chicago is rated the most corrupt city in the US (again).

As an interesting aside pertaining to this thread, one time right in front of my apartment these UCs pulled over a car and put two black individuals in bracelets. While they sat on the curb, the officers emptied the contents of the car and put it all on the trunk. Open beer bottles and bags of drugs. After about 15 minutes, they took the bracelets off, waved goodbye, got in the car, and drove off. "I guess you're not the boys we're lookin' fer!" That's pretty much how things fly here.

It may be interesting to note I live in Humboldt Park, a very high crime neighborhood with lots of gangs. Most of this is business as usual here. Poor 57 year old lady was shot in the neck at the Subway a block and a half away for the $52 in the till. She died at the hospital and the Subway has been closed by the owner until further notice.

You guessed it! No suspects.
Old February 15, 2012, 03:47 PM   #64
shaunpain

Oh, and I forgot a few years ago the 15 year old that was arrested (also in front of my apartment) after shooting up a business a few doors down then running into the business located next door to me. Saw the officer emptying the rather expensive looking 1911 over his trunk, and staring at the gun thinking "where the hell did he get THIS?!?"
Old February 15, 2012, 04:14 PM   #65
C0untZer0

I have a theory that Emanual is conversing more with Washington D.C. than he is with people in Illinois in the Democratic party.

His proposals seemed to take some in his own party by surprise:

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/state...#ixzz1m28joACq

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/Chica...139124114.html

Last edited by C0untZer0; February 15, 2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old February 16, 2012, 06:22 PM   #66
C0untZer0

Mayor's proposal is DOA but it will be interesting to see what is the fallout

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-...b_1273586.html

Quote:
"Why does Chicago think they're smarter than anybody else in the rest of the United States? I don't think they are," said Senator Gary Forby. "I'm sick of Chicago politicians pushing their anti-gun laws on the whole state."

"The city and the area of the country with the toughest gun laws in the country is also the highest crime rates in the country and I don't think that's a simple coincidence," said State Rep. John Bradley.

"I didn't know he was ever going to do something like this. Why is he taking issue with law-abiding citizens? You're just slapping them in the face," said State Rep. Brendon Phelps.

And those are just the Democrats.

Old February 17, 2012, 11:25 PM   #67
motorhead0922

The bill was introduced today by Kelly Cassidy.

Quote:
Two bills assaulting your Second Amendment rights have been filed in Springfield this week. Introduced today by state Representative Kelly Cassidy (D-14), House Bill 5167 seeks to impose a punitive tax on firearm ammunition purchases. House Bill 5631, sponsored by Representative William Davis (D-30), would force law-abiding handgun owners to comply with Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s (D) proposed statewide handgun registry scheme.
Today's story:
http://www.nraila.org/legislation/st...the-house.aspx
Old February 17, 2012, 11:47 PM   #68
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The bill was introduced today by Kelly Cassidy.
From what we're seeing, it has about the same chances the Cubs have of winning the Super Bowl.
Old February 18, 2012, 12:01 AM   #69
jimbob86

Quote:
From what we're seeing, it has about the same chances the Cubs have of winning the Super Bowl.
Au contraire, mon frere'!: The Cubs won't ever play in the Superbowl, and this bill did get introduced. It's in play, so it could happen.
Old February 18, 2012, 12:09 AM   #70
THORN74

Don't listen to rahms polital babble about common sence safety. The bill he proposed is about two things ....

1: taxing law abiding gun owners to further discourage ownership

2: turning law abiding patriotic citizens into criminals for excercizing their rights

This will do nothing to make the streets safer, what criminal is going to register their illeagle handgun?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
Old February 18, 2012, 02:07 AM   #71
C0untZer0

It very well may end up costing Gov. Quinn his re-election, and he understood that, hence his unsupportive comments concerning it.

It may also cost downstate democrats their re-election bids.

Emanual completely lost the support of the people in his own party that he needed at the state level to get beneficial state laws and initiatives passed for Chicago. He won't be able to get anything passed to help Chicago in any way now.

But more importantly, this may have tipped the scales for the next election, that's really the most important issue.

We were very close to having a super majority veto-proof concealed carry law passed last year.

With a pro-gun governor, we don't need to worry about a super-majority but the loss of a few democratic seats downstate could be all that's needed this next go-around to pass carry legislation in such a way that it over-rides home rule, meaning cities like Chicago and Oak Park would have to allow people to carry.
Old February 19, 2012, 04:13 PM   #72
mack59

Re: the super-majority - it was my understanding that the super majority was imposed by the leadership of the house (Madigan - father of the anti-gun States Atty of Illinois Lisa Madigan) and possibly by the senate leadership - as it was a law that would effect home rule cities - (ironically state wide bans and taxes on firearms seem to not require such a super majority).

I would like to think that Rahm's rash proposal to tax and register handguns would cost democrats their seats and tip control of the senate and house - but didn't see that happen in the last midterm election - when you had the Dem. Governor removed from office due to criminal charges and replaced by his Lt. Governor - in fact Quin was elected governor - all that despite a nationwide tide that was running against Dem. candidates.

I believe if there are enough votes to pass CC legislation with a super majority then there would theoretically be enough votes to override the governor's veto.

However the vote counts on close legislation are suspect as often once there are enough votes to defeat passage of a bill - representatives whose votes aren't needed are allowed to vote whatever way will allow them to look good for the next election. Therefore not all those who voted for CC may be solid votes for it.
Old February 19, 2012, 05:01 PM   #73
tnhawk

Why is the state letting a city mayor dictate laws to them?
Old February 19, 2012, 09:32 PM   #74
MTT TL

Quote:
It very well may end up costing Gov. Quinn his re-election, and he understood that, hence his unsupportive comments concerning it.
Given what happens to most Governors in IL I am surprised he would want to keep the job.
Old February 19, 2012, 11:40 PM   #75
Mike38

Quote:
Why is the state letting a city mayor dictate laws to them?
I am 52 years old and have lived in Illinois 51 of them. For as long as I can remember, Chicago pretty much runs Springfield.