The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 17, 2013, 10:02 PM   #26
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Police departments typically don't shoot their weapons nearly as often as do civilian shooters, and if it were a MIM issue, I think it would have raised it's ugly head somewhere else, A LOT!
I run a public range. Glocks in and out all day. I have never seen this issue.

I'm not far from their plant, and I know a few folks. They've never mentioned this issue either.
Old May 18, 2013, 12:09 AM   #27
RBid

More fuel for Glock and MIM haters

I work for a dealer, and I have a G19 Gen 4 that I carry every day. I've never heard of this issue until this particular story.
Old May 18, 2013, 01:54 AM   #28
745SW

I think some issues come up so infrequently that it takes a fanatic or an organization to realize there is an issue. The Phase III issue of the G19 jamming with an empty casing lodging itself lengthwise from the breach face to top entrance of the chamber, case mouth facing the front of the pistol, appears to have only been experienced/reported by the NYPD. Even then it was rare.

Pic is that of my same 19C front part of ejection port. If I recall correctly, to lazy review the issue, the upper part of the chamber working as a locking lug was slightly angled in the front to cause the action to unlock sooner. The “1” after the Glock emblem is indication of the fix. Excuse the lint will try to cleanup better. G19,PhaseIII.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G19,PhaseIII.jpg (67.1 KB, 41 views)
Old May 18, 2013, 04:11 AM   #29
NWCP

Regardless the cause of the failure it took place on pistols that officers would depend on to save their bacon in the event of a real gunfight. That's unsatisfactory bad batch or not. I own 7 HK pistols and have run a lot of rounds through them all. I've yet to have a firing pin failure, or any other failure for that matter. I can understand why Glock would be all over this.
Old May 18, 2013, 06:31 AM   #30
1911Tuner

re:

Quote:
It is my understanding that Glock has been using MIM for the locking block, slide lock, extractor, extractor plunger, and firing pin safety plunger for quite awhile.
Glocks don't have locking blocks.
Old May 18, 2013, 08:01 AM   #31
Nathan

Quote:
It would be nice to hear from a metallurgist, not a police sergeant, about the problems with MIM (or any other metal processing technique).
Nah, they would tell you that MIM, done correctly produces perfect parts. It does too. With a metals expert in a lab or test mold setting perfect MIM parts can be made perfectly.

Then, release that process to a bunch of operators and see what you get. . . .or worse outsource it to the low cost bidder and their $9/hr mold operators.
Old May 18, 2013, 09:13 AM   #32
Silver00LT

Quote:
Glocks don't have locking blocks.
They do. It's located in the receiver.

http://glockparts.com/Content.aspx?P...assembly#lower

Quote:
Nah, they would tell you that MIM, done correctly produces perfect parts. It does too. With a metals expert in a lab or test mold setting perfect MIM parts can be made perfectly.

Then, release that process to a bunch of operators and see what you get. . . .or worse outsource it to the low cost bidder and their $9/hr mold operators.
Could not of been said better. It all comes down to how the operator is feeling when they are working at their station.

Working at BWI making seats for Honda and being in final inspection...you see the laziness and bad days of people a LOT.
Old May 18, 2013, 09:30 AM   #33
tahunua001

unless the strikers have the finished surface of a chaulk board I highly doubt that MIM or even the strikers themselves are the problem if FTFs are the only thing going on. striker springs may be the culprit as those have been glocks achilles heal lately but I don't know that they've ever modified that.
Old May 18, 2013, 12:19 PM   #34
1911Tuner

re:

Quote:
They do. It's located in the receiver.
What does it lock, exactly?

The locked breech function is nothing more than the Colt-Browning tilt barrel arrangement with a single upper lug and corresponding surface in the slide instead of the original three.
Old June 10, 2013, 07:22 PM   #35

It's just Glock's nomenclature, Tuner. They probably named it that since it is responsible for supporting/securing (locking? ) the barrel in the polymer frame- that's my best guess anyway.
Old June 10, 2013, 07:38 PM   #36
Noreaster

The answer is the ammunition. Clean fire primers are hard on the guns and there is on going breech face damage and firing pin damage from green ammo. Speer is now using clean fire primers on their tmj practice rounds. It also happens with Winchester clean fire primers. One fella mentioned his firing range and he hasn't had a problem, well he probably isn't using green ammo. Check with your glock armorer reps and they will tell you the same thing. It's not only Glocks this is happening to.
Old June 11, 2013, 09:15 AM   #37
qwiksdraw

This may be interesting for those who want to learn more about MIM. This is an industry association site, it is not about gun parts specifically, and you won't get any internet urban legend BS here.

http://www.mimaweb.org/MIMA.htm
Old June 11, 2013, 11:32 AM   #38
Madcap_Magician

Bad parts are bad parts, doesn't matter if they're forged, milled, or MIM.