The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: xl 650 or lnl ap
xl650 18 60.00%
lnlap 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 6, 2012, 01:51 PM   #1
south.texas.dead.I

final days xl650 vs lnlap

ive been researching back and fourth between the two presses. I currently have a lee loadmaster an just gave up on it. Every couple days I decide I like the other one better and switch. I plan on using a case feeder with this and will start off loading .40S&W I like how hornadys priming system does spit out a primer every time the press cycles whether there's a case there or not. But lots of people say dillons are the best. I like how the dillon doesnt have to occupy two stations with flaring and powder dropping. I've already read the long article between the lnlap xl650 and loadmaster and it seems that he's undecided between hornady and dillon so what do y'all advise?

Last edited by south.texas.dead.I; June 6, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old June 6, 2012, 05:42 PM   #2
jmorris

Well you started off cheap, how did that turn out? I have both 650's and LNL's, if someone wanted to trade me a used 650 or even a 550 for a new LNL I would do it.

Dillons hold their value better than any other and there is a reason for that.
Old June 6, 2012, 06:13 PM   #3
noylj

If you really want a case collator and feeder, get the 650.
If you don't need a case collator and feeder, get the LNL.
Dillon is the NAME. Sort of like Kleenex and Vaseline. Doesn't mean they are better, but they are known. They opened the affordable progressive market. In a market where it is hard to get hands-on experience and where the magazines do not give "real" reviews, one goes with the NAME. You KNOW the NAME will work.
I have used the 550, 650, L-N-L, and 1050.
IF I need a case feeder, I want a 1050 (and I have them). If I don't need a case feeder, the L-N-L is my only choice.
Old June 6, 2012, 07:24 PM   #4
south.texas.dead.I

I jumped onto grafs and started laying out the purchase and after adding a couple things (7) the price is at 856 dollars either I did some stuff wrong or I'm gonna have to look for a used one but I got:
Hrn546533 (dies) 43
Hrn044171(taper crimp die) 20
Hrn095300 (case feeder) 300
Hrn095310( small pistol plate) 30
Hrn290032( ptx die) 10
Hrn095100 (lnlap press) 415
Hrn392610( shellplate) 33
This got expensive quick

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old June 6, 2012, 08:29 PM   #5
Powderman

I have used Hornady products, and I like them. I have a Hornady powder measure that has been reliable through the years.

I have handled the Hornady progressive press, and it is one solid piece of machinery.

That being said--get the Dillon 650. Go ahead, drop the coin; get the case feeder too. Cry a little bit more, and get the case feeder plates, and a small spare parts kit.

If you are a volume reloader, it will be the best purchase you have ever made.
Old June 6, 2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Vance

Quote:
south.texas.dead.I I jumped onto grafs and started laying out the purchase and after adding a couple things (7) the price is at 856 dollars either I did some stuff wrong or I'm gonna have to look for a used one but I got:
Hrn546533 (dies) 43
Hrn044171(taper crimp die) 20
Hrn095300 (case feeder) 300
Hrn095310( small pistol plate) 30
Hrn290032( ptx die) 10
Hrn095100 (lnlap press) 415
Hrn392610( shellplate) 33
This got expensive quick
This is about the same you will spend on the Dillon XL650. Mine was $810 for the press and case feeder minus dies shipped to my door. The XL650 press will come with the caliber specific shell plate, powder die and the powder measure.
Old June 7, 2012, 09:43 AM   #7
jmorris

With the 650 the casefeeder itself is setup at the factory on the base machine, what they call casefeed is actually just a collator. This is one reason why the base machine costs more but Hornadys "case feed" cost more. Also why more than a few people done like the Hornady case feed.
Old June 7, 2012, 11:52 AM   #8
south.texas.dead.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
With the 650 the casefeeder itself is setup at the factory on the base machine, what they call casefeed is actually just a collator. This is one reason why the base machine costs more but Hornadys "case feed" cost more. Also why more than a few people done like the Hornady case feed.
Si you're saying that with the 650 I just have to set the case in front of the case feed slide and it will mechanically insert the case? Or does it come with the pivoting system as well and i just have to drop it into the little "cup thing"

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old June 7, 2012, 02:49 PM   #9
jmorris

You just fill the tube up, it already auto feeds the cases.

The above photo shows a 650 with all of the options; however, only the blue collator up top is what they call the case feeder. All of the mechanical parts that do the actual feeding are part of the base machine, even the post and tube are part of the base machine. If you get a "case feeder" for a Dillon down the road all you do is drop it on the post, tighen one bolt, snap the tube into the bracket, plug it in and flip the switch.

On an LNL you have to install all of the parts that actually feed the cases from the tube into the shell plate and tweek them to work.
Old June 7, 2012, 07:25 PM   #10
noylj

How many rounds do you NEED to load and how much does factory ammo cost to allow you to shoot as much?
The fact that the 650 already comes with the "case feeder" and tube was the reason I made above to ONLY get the 650 if you want a case collator and feeder.
Without the collator, when I used my friend's 650, it was to total pain to use. I had to either put a case in the "feeder" with my right hand, thus, being extraordinarily awkward, or I had to manually fill the tube--which is also a pain.
When I load, I want to get into a smooth rhythm and that is impossible with a 650 without the collator. It is like every station is in the WRONG spot.
I REALLY appreciated my Hornady after using that 650 and told my friend to immediately get the collator.
I have never seen much improvement in loading speed with a case feeder versus manually putting a case in the shell plate and a bullet on the charger case--on the Hornady where all stations are where they need to be for manual operation and the charged case is right under your nose so you have no excuse NOT to inspect every case.
However, as I said, if you are getting the collator to begin with, get the 650. It is a great production press--it just not a great press to me compared to the Hornady. Just note that the caliber conversions are still more than the Hornady.
Old June 8, 2012, 11:34 PM   #11
grubbylabs

I can't say any thing against the Dillon as I have never seen one let alone used one. I do however have an older Hornady press that I bought used off another forum. I had to order a few parts from Hornady and they sent them free of charge. My press has been great to use and I am very happy with it so far. I was under 300 getting it set up and running. Mine is a Projector, so I don't think I have the option of adding a case or bullet feeder. But I think the used option might have some viability for you if, your patient and know what your looking for, and what to pay for it. I am not sure about Dillon but I would guess that they would take care of a used press just as well as Hornady would and did for me.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)

Last edited by grubbylabs; June 9, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old June 9, 2012, 03:55 AM   #12
mumbo719

Progressive with a case feeder get the Dillon.
Old June 11, 2012, 12:15 AM   #13
RWNielsen

?

I, personally, have never used a LnL but would like to try one out. I've had a 650 (with all the doo-dads) for over 10 years. What I do know is that a caliber change on a 650 gets a little pricey. I have separate tool heads, powder hoppers and powder alarms for each caliber and without a case feed plate it's still around $275 or so. I understand that the Hornady is a little more reasonable.
Old June 11, 2012, 12:26 AM   #14
south.texas.dead.I

I think I've decided on getting the hornady

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old June 11, 2012, 01:06 AM   #15
lll Otto lll

The 650 was designed to be used with a case feeder.
In contrast, the case feeder on the LNL was more or less an after-thought.
IMO, Dillon's case feeder is superior to Hornady's.

I'm also a LNL owner but I would recommend the 650 instead.
Old June 11, 2012, 03:14 PM   #16
BigJimP

They're both good presses....but personally I prefer the Dillon 650 ( and for what its worth - I'd buy it again ).

I've had mine for about 5 yrs ..with a case feeder ...and I've probably loaded ... 125,000 handgun rounds on it ...in 9mm, .40S&W, .45 acp, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44 mag....
Old June 11, 2012, 04:35 PM   #17
GTOne

Quote:
I plan on using a case feeder with this....
XL650, it isn't really even that close of a race.
Old June 11, 2012, 05:22 PM   #18
thealex

+1 LNL

I went through the same thing and went with the lnl. I like the priming system and the lock and load bushings make caliber changes easy and compatible with my rock chucker.
I can also get most accessories within an hr drive if I dont want to wait for shipping.
The case feeder and boolit feeder are on the long list but I crank out an easy 400 rnds of 45 acp an hr without them.
They are also giving rebates on 500 boolits this year. -$100 savings.
You can get a case flare insert that goes inside of the powder drop for $10
Just my 3 cents. Alex

Last edited by thealex; June 11, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old June 11, 2012, 05:53 PM   #19
rodfac

I can't say enough about Dillon's products and especially their customer service. I've loaded for over 50 years now on everything from a $13 Herter's #3 in the early 60's, to Herrett's precision machined turret. About 10 years ago, I bought my first Dillon, a 550B...it replaced a Lee Loadmaster that was constantly breaking primer feed parts, an absolute frustration to use...I could have loaded the same ammunition in the same amt of time on my old Herters with zero frustration. The Dillon set up easily, a call to their people squared me away on the primer change out and I was off to the races with my hand gun loading.

The 550B worked so well, zero parts breakage in all these years, that I bought a 2nd one to keep set up for small primers, the first being in large primer size. Caliber changes take 5 minutes and are dead on when I start loading. I load most of the handgun rounds: .32 short and long, .32 H&R, .32-20, .30 Carbine, .30 Luger, .38 S&W, .38 Special/.357 Magnum, .38-40, .40 S&W, .41 Mag, .44 Mag., .45 ACP, and .45 LC. These two presses do it all and accurately. With the big .44's and .45's, I get one inch groups at 25 yds sitting with iron sights with selected loads...any out are my fault and not the presses'. I have complete faith in them.

As to speed, I load roughly four boxes of 50 per hour. And for my shooting that's plenty fast enough and the 550B's manual turret operation let's me inspect each phase of the load process. If you need the 650's higher production capabilities so be it, but the 550B will save you a few bucks and may be easier to work up loads on...with it's manual operation.

It's a marvelous press, and a great company to do business with.

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old June 11, 2012, 09:30 PM   #20
Luciano

Had them both. I wouldn't another the LNL for half of what they re asking.
Old June 11, 2012, 11:05 PM   #21
south.texas.dead.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
Had them both. I wouldn't another the LNL for half of what they re asking.
Why is this?

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old June 12, 2012, 08:09 AM   #22
WESHOOT2

perhaps?

Perhaps because the L-N-L demands blueprinting to run smoothly?
Perhaps because its charging system can deviate?
Perhaps because?
Old June 12, 2012, 10:58 PM   #23
south.texas.dead.I

Well like I said I changed my mind again after thinking about how many people said to get the dillon bite the bullet and add the case feeder too. I just hate the 250 bucs to change calibers is what I've been hearing. I'll probably just get does and caliber conversions then just spend 10 more minutes doing caliber conversion.

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old June 13, 2012, 12:59 AM   #24
codefour

Pro 2000

I was in the same boat and researched it for hours. I eventually got a RCBS PRO 2000. I had loaded on friends Dillons n LNLAP. I like the PRO 2000 so much better.. It is made of steel not aluminum. I have seen Dillon linkages break. The APS striPs are sooo nice to buy preloaded!! No damn tubes to Peck.. It comes with a Uniflow with a mIcrometer insert. The caliber conversions are about $50 plus dies and the RCBS dust service is TOP notch. The primer punch swap out is thirty seconds. The Pro does nOT require the unit ro be disassembled.

It is an auto advance, five station press. The case feeding is easier than Dillon and Hornady's. You can add a bullet feeder but no case feeder.

Jus my 0.02$ worth
Old June 13, 2012, 01:56 AM   #25
pastortim

i have both dillon and hornady and for my money get the hornady, the auto index is much smoother as it half steps on the up and down stroke, so there is no powder spilling like you can get sometimes on the dillon

however dillon makes a very good press, you will like either one