The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 27, 2006, 11:18 AM   #1
zamboxl

hunting in FL

Hey guys i am new to this hunting thing, and hell new to fire arms also so i was wondering if u guys knew how i could go about hunting in FL in public lands. I know i need a hunting permit, and i was born after 1975 so i need to take some kind of special class. Well after that is out of the way, how do i go about hunting in public game lands or whatever, and where is a good place to go for hogs, and latter on in the year to go hunt deer. thanks in advance
Old April 27, 2006, 12:26 PM   #2
Superhornet

Where do you live in Florida?? When you say public hunting I take it to mean Game Management areas. In the North East (Jacksonville) there is Osceola, Camp Blanding, Guano River and Nassua. Hunting license required, game management stamp required and turkey stamp if hunting turkey....
Old April 27, 2006, 01:36 PM   #3
zamboxl

i live in south FL this guys told me that i had to get a quota or something like that once i got my hunting lisence, but before i went hunting?
Old April 27, 2006, 01:44 PM   #4
Superhornet

Yes, the first nine days of the season you must have a quota permit to hunt the management areas. The quota data is sent into game and fish for a drawing. After the first nine days, most areas are open to all, first come first serve...Check with your local game and fish or get the hunting data folders and maps from your county administration office...On the net just type in Florida Fish and Game Commision and it will give you all the data you need....I hunt mostly squirrel and turkey.....
Old April 27, 2006, 01:46 PM   #5
Superhornet

And I forgot to say(Ihunt for free) because I am really old..ho ho ho...
Old April 27, 2006, 05:54 PM   #6
zamboxl

how old do u have to be to hunt for free? my father is 63 is that old enough( i was going to go with him) o and i dont know if it makes a diff but he is a legal resident alien. So from looking at this site it looks like i need a hunting permit, and a Wildlife Management Area Permit?? http://www.floridaconservation.org/license/
Old April 27, 2006, 06:05 PM   #7
zamboxl

ooo nm i just read the sportsman lisence my father is actually 64 so he could get that one for like 13 bucks and everything is cover me on the other hand i gotta take that stuped course, and pay alot more damn
Old April 28, 2006, 06:36 AM   #8
Superhornet

I never hunt the first nine days in a management area. I will wait until all the quota hunters are out of the woods and then go. I do apply for the spring gobbler hunt in Camp Blanding...got drawn twice in the last ten years...Got a nice 18 pounder....
Old April 28, 2006, 07:21 AM   #9
zamboxl

lol nice. thanks for the help man

wel actually iam sorry i should probably say sir, gotta respect my elders lol
Old April 30, 2006, 09:10 PM   #10
whiskey

Where in S. FL? There are some good public hunting lands in the south end, but I need to know if you are near Fort Meyers or Fort Lauderdale or ...

Babcock Webb for anything other than small game is by quota permit only. Hogs and deer permits are always filled up. I have small game hunted there and had some fun. Green swamp up near Orlando is really good hunting, but can be crowded. There are some others in various areas. http://www.myfwc.com has maps and lots of info.