The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2006, 11:05 PM   #1
[email protected]

Reload or buy mfg 9mm.

Still trying to make up my mind if I should reload or buy 9mm. I shoot about 4000 rds per year, at my local Walmart the price of 9mm 100rd white box is 11.98. How much would it cost if i started reloading, which progressive reloader should I purchase, and where can I buy the components for bulk.
Old March 30, 2006, 11:15 PM   #2
Rivers

I reload quality 9mm (124gr. fmj) for about $.08 each, not including the brass, which I get free, or the cost of the equipment. I occasionally buy White Box, but with my Dillon 650, it's pretty easy/quick to run off 1000 rounds.

Of course, I also load a bunch of .45 and .223, as well as a moderate number of other rounds.

What kind of equipment I'd recommend would largely depend on your budget. It'd be hard to beat a Dillon 550 or a Hornady LNL. Some people like the RCBS 2000. I personally prefer a self-indexing press, ergo, the 650. You can get a Hornady progressive with casefeeder for substantially less than you'd have to pay for a Dillon 650, though.
Old March 30, 2006, 11:19 PM   #3
308SORRELS

You can probably buy the 9mm buy the bulk thru a lot of sites cheaper then reloading especially if you consider the cost to start reloading. Myself I will tell you that it is a addiction and I relax more when reloading then at any other time. After you become addicted you will always be trying different loads or looking at a different type of equipment. So I will warn you if you are doing it for cost you will probably never break even but if you are doing it for a good quality load and fun then get a Dillon 550 or 650.

GOOD LUCK AND TELL ME IN SIX MONTHS IF YOU ARE ADDICTED
Old March 30, 2006, 11:21 PM   #4
Leftoverdj

The math does not work for me. If you were already reloading and just needed a set of dies and/or a conversion kit, I'd tell you to go for it. Since you have to start from scratch, you can buy a year's supply of ammo for what it would cost you to get setup. Cheap as the prices you cite are, it would take you years to recover your investment.

Just picking up your brass and putting it back in the box to sell will bring you shooting costs down by maybe $3 a hundred.
Old March 30, 2006, 11:29 PM   #5
roy reali

A Comparison

Money or savings is really not part of the real reason anyone handloads. Having better ammo is one reason. But I think that most people just like to craft their own ammo. There is a satisfaction in that no matter the cost.

It is sort of like comparing the cost of hunted meat to store bought stuff. One factor that makes game more appreciated is the fact the person went through the entire process of getting food to the table. If cost or convience was considered, hunting would not make sense.
Old March 31, 2006, 12:55 AM   #6
hoghunting

eeg,
I don't know where you live, but here in TX we have Academy Sports that sells CCI Blazer 9mm for $3.99 a box. This is jacketed ammo and most people can't reload for that.
Old March 31, 2006, 06:08 AM   #7
caz223

Just keep buying it and saving your brass.
If you start loading another caliber, you'll have more incentive to load.
Old March 31, 2006, 12:33 PM   #8
Rivers

If you think you'll only be reloading handgun ammo, it'd be hard to beat a Dillon SDB. They're not too expensive and do offer auto-indexing.

I certainly wouldn't start reloading, if all I shot was 9mm. When I started loading 9mm, I'd already been reloading for several years. All I had to buy were the dies (I chose Lee w/FCD), shellplate and a few casefeed parts.

As others have posted, I find reloading to be therapeutic. Hate to admit that I'm addicted, but I will admit that it's therapeutic.
Old April 12, 2006, 03:12 PM   #9
xjz

I actually started reloading for the 9mm because I wanted to save money but in reality it was so i could shoot more for the same monthly dollar amount. I figure i can reload 9mm for 60-75% of what it would cost me to buy WWB at walmart. which isn't a lot of savings but I figure any savings is better than none. My wife now wants me to buy her a pistol as she cant shoot mine as well and she wants a .40 cal so i will only need to buy some dies for the press and will be able to reload for her also which will be more of a significant savings over time than the 9mm I'm currently reloading. You may not save muche right now but in the future you may want to get or reload for another caliber and you will be that much further ahead.
Old April 13, 2006, 08:23 PM   #10
kart racer

I started off reloading for 45 and then bought 9mm dies.You can load premium jhp for less than wwb from walmart.It is fun and rewarding when you get good groups from your ammo.
Old April 15, 2006, 06:33 PM   #11
JDG

Since I all ready reload, buying 9mm dies and an extra turret was a no brainer. If all you shoot is a 9mm, it will take awhile to recoup your equipment cost, so buy a 45 acp, and really start saving But as the others said, its not all about saving money. You can down load for indoor range shooting, or build super accurate rifle loads, that factory ammo cant touch. Did I mention that it's a fun hobby?
Old April 16, 2006, 08:29 PM   #12
Clayfish

Quote:
Money or savings is really not part of the real reason anyone handloads. Having better ammo is one reason. But I think that most people just like to craft their own ammo. There is a satisfaction in that no matter the cost.

+2

I also reload because I have had a factory round rupture in my rifle. I now know exactly what every round is consists of and that I have safely made each one.
Old April 17, 2006, 01:22 AM   #13
Hook686

Today I bought 100 round boxes of 9mm Winchester WB for $7.83 per box of 100 rounds. At 8 cents per round, I cannot match that reloading it .... bullets cost me more than that.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old April 17, 2006, 01:25 AM   #14
caz223

Where did you find that deal, praytell?
Old April 17, 2006, 04:03 AM   #15
Hook686

Wal-Mart .... the WWB valu Box. I could not resist.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old April 17, 2006, 11:38 AM   #16
caz223

Walmarts in my neck of the woods sell it for $11.00 a box, which is stil a pretty good deal, however, I can still load premium 147 grain JHPs for the same price if I don't count my time.