The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 8, 1999, 02:06 PM   #1
John Foley
Retired Screen Name

Anyone out there own one of these critters? I just bought one and do not know if I am reading it right. The figures I am getting don't make much sense to me. Oh well, I'm over 60 and a lot of things don't make sense anymore! Any help will be appreciated.

PS: I am the guy that loaded up the 85gr pistol bullets for my .30 M1 carbine. But thats another story...
Old July 9, 1999, 12:06 AM   #2
flatlander

I use my Precision Mic for 223 to compare the headspace dimension of cases fired in several 223 rifles so that I can set my FL die to set the shoulder back about .001" from the fired dimension. This insures that I'm not over-working the brass, and at the same time, am sizing it enough to give reliable chambering in each rifle.
Old July 9, 1999, 11:21 PM   #3
swifter...

I own a couple-three of 'em. I find the stoney Point stuff gives more accurate and much more readily understood data.

I'm told its important to keep in mind that the numbers are RELATIVE, and not exact measurements.

If you can afford it, a good dial caliper and the Stoney Point gages are really nice, for about the cost of 2 of the RCBS dinguses you can measure any cartridge around...

------------------
Shoot carefully... swifter...