The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 30, 2012, 02:59 AM   #26
bamaranger

What made the dfference for me, accuracy wise, was to finally gain an understanding of the correct sight picture ........ie focus on the front sight and the target and rear sight blur.

I was an OK shot, understood trigger and sight alignment, did not flinch, but what allowed me to become some better was the focus issue. To get that, I had to be taught, at the LE academy. Nobody had explained it prior, rifle or handgun, despite shooting alot as a kid in a shooting/hunting family.

As I age, my inability to focus up front (old eyes) has begun to effect my shooting with certain barrel lengths and iron sights.
Old December 31, 2012, 03:29 AM   #27
warnerwh

Learn proper fundamentals and practice practice practice. Professional training can be useful but you can also read and learn. Proper and consistent grip, sight alignment and trigger squeeze. Trigger control is very important.

If your fundamentals are good you will get better faster. Just shooting at things without the right fundamentals will never allow you to be as good as you can be and will make it harder to improve. The percentage of people at the range that are competent with a handgun is quite small. Better to learn proper form just like golf, baseball or many other sports. There was a pro golfer who said he only practiced his fundamentals.
Old December 31, 2012, 09:52 PM   #28
Crankgrinder

i know that after i began to shoot primarily with a double action revolver my shooting got much better across the board. you really have to learn to master that trigger shooting in double action and any mistakes will sure show. the techniques developed in da shooting seemed to work even better for my semis.
Old January 1, 2013, 09:08 PM   #29
Super Sneaky Steve

I agree with crankgrinder. My experiance is the same. After mastering a light weight DAO J-frame everything else is cake.
Old January 1, 2013, 10:42 PM   #30
ClydeFrog

marksmanship training....

There are a few tips & training methods that can assist you;

Learn proper methods & train using them during practice. As a cadre told our MP school class, don't just shoot, use the proper training. It will become second nature.
If you can, train or shoot w/o distractions or other shooters around. If you can shoot on a gun range or rental place, go during the off hours(weekdays AM or early afternoons). Noise or people talking may cause you to lose focus. Learn to concentrate and build your marksmanship. If you are in a remote area or have a large property, you can train without hassles or safety issues from strangers.
Learn to fire after you exhale. Take a deep breath, slowly let it out, then fire.
Finally, I'd read up on a few books or guides from top shooters or LE sources; No Second Place Winner, Hit The White Part, etc; www.paladin-press.com .

Clyde