The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 14, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Moloch

Odd Mauser 98 bolt stop

So, I just bought a Mauser 98, no matching numbers, which has this strange looking bolt stop installed.
I never saw this type of bolt stop block on a Mauser rifle before, the odd thing about it is the little ''pedestal '' under the screw, all the 98's I own have the normal flat bolt stop block; the screw is also a little smaller.

Does anybody know which Mauser rifles extractor block that is?

Last edited by Moloch; September 14, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old September 14, 2012, 08:47 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

You mean ejector, not extractor, which is on the bolt. But to answer your question, I have never seen a bolt stop like that. Perhaps it was made by someone to replace a missing or defective one.

Jim
Old September 14, 2012, 08:55 PM   #3
tahunua001

looks like the ejector screw for an enfield to me but I have been wrong in the past... if you have a no parts matching 98 then it's already a given that it was assembled from a stack of parts. more than likely it was missing the proper screw and the guy that put it together just put in the first one he found that fit.
Old September 14, 2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Moloch

Quote:
Perhaps it was made by someone to replace a missing or defective one.
Thats very possible, the bolt stop looks like new; on the other hand, its a readily available fairly inexpensive part, so why make your own if you can just buy one for 5 bucks?
Old September 14, 2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Scorch

Commercial Mauser bolt stop. Nothing unusual. You are probably used to the military Mauser bolt stops that are flat across and have a little round pedestal under the screw.
Old September 14, 2012, 09:35 PM   #6
RJay

My 43 bcd ( all original ) has the same set up.
Old September 15, 2012, 07:48 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

OK, guys, why was the commercial bolt stop different? Before I answered, I checked Olson and some catalogs and didn't see any that looked like that. Any idea when and why it was used, or on what model(s)?

Jim
Old September 16, 2012, 12:39 PM   #8
RJay

Don't know about the commercial part, but as I posted my 43 bcd Gustraff Werke has the identical set up.
Old September 16, 2012, 01:07 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Ron, I have never seen one like that, and am just wondering how I missed it if it is so common. Also, I don't see the purpose, It looks like it would require a special forging and extra machining to make it with that cutout in the middle and then even more work if the rear boss is as high as it looks, not to mention that a special screw might be required. All in all, not to K.98k specs and something I think would not be done in wartime. I just wonder what the advantage could have been.

I am of course assuming that those bolt stops are original and not something made up by an importer or a parts place as replacements, also a possibility.

JIm
Old September 16, 2012, 01:43 PM   #10
RJay

To be honest I never even noticed it before nor would I if the subject hadn't come up
Old September 16, 2012, 01:54 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Different maker....

Just checked the 4 mausers on my closest rack. The Swede, the Kar 98k, and the Vz24 all have the flat style. The Yugo 48 has the pedastal style, just like in your picture. And the Yugo is stock (new) condition, with matching #s, so I expect the pedastal type is original to it.

Hope this helps...
Old September 16, 2012, 10:46 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

My M 48 has a bit higher pad under the screw head than normal, but it is still round, not rectangular like the one illustrated, and there is no "step" at the front.

Jim