The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2008, 09:34 AM   #1
ShootingNut

Fail To Fire Problem

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas on this problem.
Brand new S&W 1911 .45 with approximately 200 rounds through it.
Shooting own reloads, gun will feed and chamber the round, but with the
lead SWC's trigger does not release the fully cocked hammer. It may only on occasion. But, gun loves the 200 gr. lead RNFP with OAL of 1.210".
Same problem even with 225 gr. lead TCFP with OAL of 1.200".
Dropped cartridges into my barrel, and the headspace appears flush to slightly below, with a few just a "hair" above but close.
My bullet maker friend, suggested I try running some factory 230 gr. FMJ
through it, to see if my gun will eat them right up. Have yet to do that.
Sent a message to Smith, waiting to hear their thoughts.
So, like I say if anyone has experienced this themselves, maybe you can head me in the right direction? As a side note, my Son has a Colt 1911 manufactured in 1966, that just eats any of our reloads described without any problem! I thought a new Smith should do the same, maybe I was wrong.
Regards,
SN
Old February 12, 2008, 09:40 AM   #2
Gbro

My guess is S&W will put you on a list. "Reloads".
Don't know of any manufactures that condone reloading.
I do not reload anything but RN bullets for my 1911's. Used to do the simi-W/C but to many failure to feed.
As for failure to fire, My guess is your are not in full battery.
Old February 12, 2008, 09:44 AM   #3
SDC

If it fires factory ammo fine, I'd have to say that your reloads are either too long or not resized to the proper diameter, thereby not allowing the round to fully chamber; this means that the disconnector is still activated, which won't allow the hammer to drop. You could add a Lee Factory Crimp die to make sure everything is under spec, or get a Dillon gauge to check each round.
Old February 12, 2008, 09:54 AM   #4
ShootingNut

I hear ya about Smith liking reloads, I didn't mention that to them. Although, being lead bullets they can guess that one.
I am loading with a Lee 4 die set, and paid attention to getting a good crimp.
Length wise, the semi WC's are at 1.250" (200 gr. #68) down to 1.165" on a
185 gr. SWC #30. So I may be wrong, but it would surprise me if length is the culpirt. Might have to just feed it with RN, which shoot just fine for my use.
Thanks guys!
SN
Old February 12, 2008, 11:30 AM   #5
Grandpa Shooter

I can shoot anything in my Colt including 175g SWC, but it does not like 200g moly SWC. I tried changing bullet length, increased the crimp, etc and still couldn't get them to feed. Mine is a 1991A1.

Never had any real problems with FTF before that.
Old February 12, 2008, 03:11 PM   #6
Hawg

Sounds like it's not going into battery which has already been mentioned. Maybe the SWC's are getting a small amount of lead shaved off and getting between the chamber and brass preventing the cartridge from seating fully.
Old February 12, 2008, 04:04 PM   #7
ShootingNut

Hawg

Always a possibility, although I really watch out for any shaving due to not enough flare. Plus, I can load up a mag of the RN, and they fire off without any problem right after the failures with the TC or SWC bullets.
Some of my range brass that I've loaded, does have a crease on the edge of the head. I thought maybe that was a battery problem, but doesn't affect the RN's so don't think that's it.
So, I keep playing with it, is this what makes the 1911 interesting?
My poly M&P40 chews up anything, and I suspect the MP45 would do likewise.
Thanks!
SN
Old February 12, 2008, 04:43 PM   #8
W. C. Quantrill

The .45 ACP seats on the mouth of the case. Like ol Reb sez, sounds like you have something down in the chamber that is keeping the cartridge from fully seating. Pull the barrel and give it a real good cleaning with a brush then try it again. My .45 loads SWC, and hollowpoints, even empty cases, yours should too. A man should not be limited to RN or FMJ's. Never can tell, ya might want to take it to a social engagement.
Old February 12, 2008, 04:50 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Like ol Reb sez,
OK, give.

I shudda known. Wassup Bill?

Last edited by Hawg; February 12, 2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: felt like it
Old February 12, 2008, 05:19 PM   #10
ShootingNut

WC

O.K., Sruba Dub Dub, it's shiny clean now but what the heck.
I just might get my ol' 3/8's twist drill out, and give her a real good ream job!
SN
Old February 12, 2008, 07:21 PM   #11
Hawg

I kinda had in mind it the shoulder of the bullet might be getting scraped as it chambered letting a thin piece of lead get trapped between the chamber wall and the brass.
Old February 13, 2008, 04:18 PM   #12
ShootingNut

I'm The Problem

I now believe, after my trip to the range today.
Found out when a round did not fire, first off my slide wasn't forward enough to engage the saftey as I first thought.
Then after removing the round from the chamber, I noticed a slight amount of lead buildup at the mouth of the casing. The casing had pushed a ridge, not a sliver, but enough to create a problem when chambered.
So, I have the red face, for not flaring the cases enough. It ain't much lead, but the new Smith doesn't like anything besides the casing in the chamber.
Thanks one and all, I have to get my act together and make sure that I wear my specs!
Best regards,
SN