The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 16, 2014, 07:55 PM   #1
chrisintexas

Ballistol video - any truth in it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O-cpOgvbfw
Is ballistol harmful to guns?
Would it ruin stainless steel revolvers? Would it ruin polymer guns?
Old July 16, 2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Jimbo-Indy

I use Ballistol all the time. It's a good product. No problems with stainless steel or blued finishes. No problem with finishes on wood stocks or rubber grips. Especially good on black powder, as both a cleaner and a patch lube. It does leave a slippery oil film. I usually leave a heavy coating on all surfaces during storage and wipe dry prior to use.
Always have a couple of cans on hand.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Old July 17, 2014, 01:17 AM   #3
Bill DeShivs

The guy that did that video is an idiot. Hoppe's won't remove nickel plating.
The gun he shows doesn't have "gold leaf" on it. Gold leaf is commonly used for lettering-like on fire trucks or fancy office doors. And the only thing that will dissolve gold is a very powerful acid concoction called "aqua regia." His gun either has gold plating (probably) or gold inlay.
His Colt revolver doesn't have a copper undercoat under the nickel plating. I know of no gun factory that underplates nickel with copper-that is done in car bumper-chroming shops.
He is a foul-mouthed, opinionated azzhat who lets his mouth overload his backside.
And I do have a vault!And, quite possibly, an arsenal.

Last edited by Bill DeShivs; July 17, 2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old July 17, 2014, 05:09 AM   #4
Tuzo

Hoppes indirectly removes nickel plating by creeping beneath any break, nick, flake of nickel and dissolving copper coating beneath the nickel plate. Nickel plating then has nothing to adhere to (does not plate directly on steel) and it is seemingly dissolved by Hoppes.
Old July 17, 2014, 06:27 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

I don't think anyone has laid an undercoat of copper on firearms in the US since before World War II.

Nickel plated guns are now almost always electroless nickel plated, and as far as I know that coating will not come off from action by Hoppes.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 17, 2014, 09:17 AM   #6
chrisintexas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdYWQfbC5Og
minute 33 in video He is saying don't slather your gun in Ballistol
In http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVIVF0WAoQE
minute 18 he says same
Old July 17, 2014, 09:40 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone who posts "informational" videos and can't keep from dropping the F-bomb, losses me at it's first utterance.

This guy is a good example of someone who fancies himself an expert, while being clueless enough to believe it.

I don't even care if they know what they're talking about (this guy clearly doesn't), there are plenty of knowledgeable folks who don't talk like uneducated street punks. I'll listen to them if I need information.
Old July 17, 2014, 10:10 AM   #8
chrisintexas

In http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVIVF0WAoQE
at minute 8:25 he starts with ballistol and says he gives it thumbs down and does not recommend it at all
Old July 17, 2014, 04:11 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Tuzo- Don't bother to educate yourself. Just keep on perpetuating myths.
Old July 17, 2014, 05:06 PM   #10
chrisintexas

His name is Mike and not tuzo. I got only snide remarks after posting video of this person Mike from New York.
Old July 17, 2014, 05:23 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

READ the thread, Chris!
Old July 17, 2014, 05:28 PM   #12
chrisintexas

You commented about Hoppe's This you tube man Mike from New york is instead talking about Ballistol and how it harms certain metals.
Old July 17, 2014, 09:57 PM   #13
Bill DeShivs

Chris-
I'll lay it out for you-
Tuzo responded in a post. I wasn't referring to the video there.
In his video, "Mike" did say that Hoppe's would remove nickel plating. Tuzo parroted that myth.
Understand now?
Old July 18, 2014, 02:45 AM   #14
Tuzo

Mr. DeShivs

I own three nickel plated S&W revolvers. The oldest is pre-1950 and youngest is circa 1972. Oldest has a bit of the nickel plating worn away revealing copper under-plating. Would you apply Hoppe's No. 9 to this surface? Of course you would but you wipe it off as soon as possible to avoid removing copper.

Hoppe's No. 9 stays in the bore for a few minutes of my nickel plated handguns but does not long remain on the plating. Why take a chance if unsure of the plating technique - copper or no copper under-plating.

True that there are numerous inaccurate internet references that Hoppe's No. 9 removes nickel.
Old July 18, 2014, 10:20 AM   #15
Jim Watson

Quote:
I don't think anyone has laid an undercoat of copper on firearms in the US since before World War II.
Yes they have.
I got a Colt Mk IV S70 cheaply because some nitwit had laid it on a buffer and burned through an area of nickel plating and exposed the copper strike.

Old Barnum and Bailey style advertising for Ballistol claimed it would remove tombac fouling but it does not contain ammonia or other agent to attack copper. It's oil, people.
Old July 18, 2014, 10:56 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

Interesting.

I had always thought that Colt was the first American gun maker to go to electroless nickel, and had done so right before World War II.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 18, 2014, 04:17 PM   #17
Bill DeShivs

Regardless of underplating, properly using ammoniated cleaners like Hoppe's will not damage plating.
Old July 18, 2014, 08:23 PM   #18
Mosin-Marauder

I laughed so hard at this video. If I didn't hear him cussing and raging one minute, I'd hear his breathing right next to the microphone. How does someone get this mad over a video? Geez.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 18, 2014, 08:42 PM   #19
Bill DeShivs

BTW- you CAN plate electrolytic nickel directly to steel. I do it all the time.
Old July 19, 2014, 01:39 AM   #20
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Is ballistol harmful to guns?
Would it ruin stainless steel revolvers? Would it ruin polymer guns?
Ballistol will not harm guns, not stainless steel guns or polymer guns and not revolvers.

I wouldn't apply it directly to wooden grips/stocks, but other than that I wouldn't have any problem soaking any of my guns (including the ones that are nickel-plated) in Ballistol.

1. The fact that Ballistol claims to dissolve "traces of copper, lead, zinc and tombac" does NOT mean it dissolves "all soft metals", as the video maker claims. It certainly does not mean it dissolves gold.

2. The fact that Ballistol claims to dissolve TRACES of some types of metals does NOT mean it's going to consume those metals wholesale if it makes incidental contact with them.

3. As mentioned, the video maker's assumption that all nickel plating is plated on top of a strike coat of copper is incorrect. It is possible that some nickel-plated guns have a copper strike coat, but it's the exception rather than the rule these days.

4. Merriam Webster gives one meaning of "vault" as "a room or compartment for the safekeeping of valuables". It is quite a stretch to say that a safe isn't a compartment for the safekeeping of valuables.

The video is a 7:09 waste of time for anyone who watches it, unless they can get some entertainment value from it. It's certainly not useful as an informative source.
Old July 19, 2014, 03:08 PM   #21
chrisintexas

can one use ballistol with boresnake? like sprinkling your barrel and cylinders with ballistol and running boresnake afterwards through them?
Old July 19, 2014, 05:04 PM   #22
Model12Win

Ballistol is most good for black powder guns, it's great because it mixes with water and the ballistol/water solution cap be used to spray down and wash out the black powder residue. When the water dries, it leaves a light coat of protective Ballistol on the metal.

It's almost indespensible!
Old July 19, 2014, 10:23 PM   #23
Venom1956

I got to hand it to the guy tho. hes got like 5 more videos trying to prove his point.

I didnt have time to watch them all. Nor the interest.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old July 19, 2014, 11:03 PM   #24
Bill DeShivs

Strangely, I never found the video that actually DID prove his point!
Interesting, isn't it?
Old July 21, 2014, 12:28 AM   #25
Slopemeno

I can assure you that Colt's electroless nickel has a copper layer under it. We built three raceguns at the same time from stock electroless nickel Colts- and there's copper under there...no fun to get out of all the corners.