The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 27, 2013, 03:21 PM   #1
erhodes

Help identifying a remington 700

Hey guys. This is my first post here so I hope that I am doing everything correctly.

I just got a remington 700 at the gun show this weekend and need some help identifying which one it is. I have been looking at getting one for some time now and usually pride myself on knowing exactly what a gun in and its pros and cons before I buy it but this was just too good of a deal to pass up.

The gun in a 308 with a bull barrel. I believe that the barrel is 26 inches long. What is confusing me as to which model it is, is that someone put Boyds stock on it and the dealer I got it from didn't know what it originally was. Here are a couple pics of it as well.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old January 27, 2013, 06:43 PM   #2
lefteye

^^^ Yes
Old January 27, 2013, 09:07 PM   #3
erhodes

Awesome. Thanks guys. Do you have any experience with boyds stocks? This one looks alright but I am thinking about replacing it with a h.s. precision pro series police. Any thoughts?
Old January 27, 2013, 09:47 PM   #4
lefteye

Stock choices are very personal for the shooter - butt stock length and width, over-all length, weight, comb, fore end width, grip, Monte Carlo, cheek piece, color, material, etc. For example, I really like the beauty of a fine walnut stock, especially feathered crotch. Google feathered crotch walnut. However, I prefer a synthetic stock for hunting if there is risk of damage to an expensive wood stock. Synthetic stocks aren't necessarily cheap but they are less vulnerable to damage from hunting conditions (weather, terrain, horses, back packs, etc.). H.S. Precision has a nice variety of rifle stocks.
Old January 28, 2013, 12:18 PM   #5
Scorch

HS Precision Pro Police stocks have a very fat grip area (with palm swells on both sides of the grip area ). Also, they have a very square comb and a fat buttstock area. All this combines to make it very difficult to get a proper grip on the rifle. When I spoke to the folks HS Precision about this they basically said "yeah, we know that". Until they address the issue, I would recommend you look elsewhere.
Old January 28, 2013, 07:22 PM   #6
cw308

The 700 308 Cal. 26" Heavy barrel is the same as the 700P , 700 Varmint, only differance is the stock it's in. The 700P in a HS precision Stock your looking at a $ 1000. + price tag, Your 700 Rifle is no different, Take good care of it, it's a tack driver. I have a 700 LTR 20" heavy brl. I love it. Good luck with your new friend, Be safe Chris. PS The barrel should be free floating, see if the barrel is hitting the stock by sliding a doller bill between the barrel & stock down to the barrel lug. The the torque on your action screws should be 65" lbs.

Last edited by cw308; January 28, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old January 28, 2013, 07:36 PM   #7
erhodes

I have already checked and the barrel is not free floating on this stock. (I am not too displeased though since I only paid $500 for it.) It is touching the stock for about the last 3 inches. If someone could point me in the right direction on how to properly float it I would greatly appreciate it.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:14 PM   #8
steveNChunter

There may be a more "proper" way but this is how I do it. Take the barreled action out of the stock, then get a dremel tool if you have one and evenly take material out of the barrel channel until you can easily slide a dollar bill all the way down the barrel without any resistance. Thats the easiest way. If you dont have a dremel tool you can get a wooden dowel rod and wrap sandpaper around it, but it takes longer
Old January 28, 2013, 09:28 PM   #9
lefteye

Free floating the barrel is simply a matter of sanding that 3 inches of contact to provide clearance. Sandpaper wrapped around a deep socket of sufficient diameter is what I have always used. But, you should be sure you want to free float the barrel before you do it. In my experience free floating the barrel has improved the accuracy of the few rifles I've done this to, but I don't believe free floating is guaranteed to improve the accuracy of a factory hunting or varmint rifle. If the rifle was mine I would not free float the barrel until I had developed loads for the rifle, shot them extensively, and became convinced free floating was the next necessary step to achieve acceptable accuracy for the rifle. On the other hand, free floating can be reversed by glass bedding at the foreend.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:57 AM   #10
cw308

If the last 3" you have contact that may be fine, 26" brl. may need the support at the taper of the barrel 2.5" see how it shoots first. Great Deal.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:09 AM   #11
erhodes

Thank you for the replies. I am really excited about it. I have been doing long range competitions with ar's for a while but this is my first remington 700 so I am looking forward to developing loads for it and shooting it.