The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 23, 2000, 04:48 PM   #1
Gremlin

For the last 18 years, my family has gone out on Thanksgiving morning and shot clay pigeons from dawn til noon. During that time I've owned or shot Remingtons, Winchesters, Savages, Brownings, and the odd brand here and there. I bought a Baikal IZH27 earlier this year and finally got to try it out on clay pigeons today.

Holy Cow!

If there's a better bargain out there than this little Russian sweetheart, I don't know what it is. The balance is excellent, acquiring the target was a dream, the mechanics worked flawlessly, and the wood looked great in the bright sun. The pistol grip stock felt as good as it worked and the recoil was minimal compared to my Wingmaster or my 1100.

If you're looking for an Over and Under and, like me, don't have a grand to spend on a gun, don't overlook this one...
Old November 23, 2000, 10:59 PM   #2
PJR

If money is an "object" then the Baikal will get you through in the short term. The problem is with the steady use of the average clays gun whether it will stand up in the long term. The Browning Citori has nothing to prove on the durability scale and given its combination of ruggedness, reasonable price and handling is the one of the best choices for someone who wants to shoot clays seriously.

Baikal guns have a wide range of quality control. The good ones are very good but some are not so good. Sounds like you got a good one. Enjoy.
Old November 24, 2000, 06:59 PM   #3
Gremlin

My problem with your analysis, PJR, is as follows:

Browning Citori = $1,050

Baikal = $365

In my case, the advantage comes down squarely in favor of the gun that is roughly one third the price of the other one. I'm not stupid. I know the Browning is better than the Baikal. No argument whatsoever. To quote what I said, "If you're looking for an Over and Under and, like me, don't have a grand to spend on a gun, don't overlook this one".

I'd rather own a Citori. I don't have the wherewithal to do so.
Old November 25, 2000, 08:46 AM   #4
PJR

Gremlin:

My point was that if you were expecting the durability of a Browning or Beretta you might be disappointed. Clay shooting can be a high volume proposition and I'd rather spend $1050 once in a lifetime than spend $365 only to have to spend it again in a few years. It just depends on how much shooting you intend to do.

I've found the best bargains in the used gun market They are cheaper than a new gun and retain their resale value.

Old November 25, 2000, 09:40 AM   #5
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Must be turkey day

Seems like the Smithy forum and this one are havin a "Bad Hair" day. Attention to detail.

HJN
Old November 26, 2000, 06:03 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Gremlin, enjoy your new toy. As was said, the difference between high and low dollar O/Us is oft longevity. If you're using it occasionally for some clay busting, it'll last way longer than it would going the 10,000 rounds a year route.

And even if use is heavy, it may not break. My guess is, the things kicks so little because it's heavy, and heavy oft means stronger than heck.
Old November 27, 2000, 06:33 PM   #7
BigG

Gremlin, congratulations on your new shotgun! I think, judging from your initial post you are a casual once in a while shooter and that Baikal sounds like just the ticket. I too shoot once in a while and I have a 1915 vintage Springfield SXS riot gun that does just fine against the Berettas, 1100s, and Brownings. Remember, its the man behind the gun!

Enjoy your new toy!
Old November 27, 2000, 09:16 PM   #8
Gremlin

DaveMcC--
Right you are about the weight/kick ratio. My left arm got pretty tired after an hour of shooting--holding that forend was a struggle after a while. But it's amazing how much extra strength you can find when you're hot and turning clays into fine, black powder. The Baikal's listed at 7 pounds, but I think that figure could be like checking the drivers license weight of a debutante...

I am a casual shotgun shooter, I don't get out and break clays more than 4 or 5 times a year. It sure was nice to pick up a new gun for comparatively little money and then go have it work out so well. It's the kind of thing that keeps me buying guns...

Now if I can hit the lotto and upgrade to the Citori...
Old November 28, 2000, 07:32 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

7 lbs is almost certainly wishful thinking,Gremlin. And, I know about the strength that flows when black puffs of clay smoke fill the air. A little more practice will make that left arm look like Popeye's(G)...

Brand X shotguns are fun, too, not just the name ones...