The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2010, 07:43 PM   #1
DarkRayz

Removing media from brass

I bought Dillon gear, including a tumbler and media separating basket. I pour the polished brass and media into the basket, then spin them around and the vast majority of the media drops away. But a fair amount 'sticks' to the inside of the plastic container, almost as though its stuck by static. Whether I pour the brass out or scoop it out by hand, some of this 'stuck' media clings to the brass. Mostly the outside, admittedly. Is this an issue? Is there some trick here to getting all this media off? I have used a capful of that Dillon polish to help clean the brass. Is that the problem? Or is there another issue?

thx

DR
Old August 17, 2010, 07:51 PM   #2
noylj

Media

Did you pour liquid on the media? Were your cases covered in grease and oil? Is it very dry where you are?
Never had that problem.
Just from the sounds of things, it is almost like your media and cases are too clean.
The brass is conductive, so it should slough off a charge as soon it contacts any sort of ground. I could see media sticking the plastic basket or the bin the media drops into, but not the brass unless there is something on the surface of the brass.
One thing you can try is put the cases and media back in the tumbler and add a little mineral spirits or naphtha to the media. Then tumble for 15 minutes and see what happens.
Old August 17, 2010, 09:04 PM   #3
LOUD

Try putting a used dryer antistatic sheet in there just to see what happens.....LOUD
Old August 17, 2010, 09:47 PM   #4
DarkRayz

Thx for replies

I put a small capful of the dillon polish in the tumbler no more.

I'll play with it some more.... So far haven't but 1-2 cases with a fleck of media in the case....
Old August 17, 2010, 09:51 PM   #5
Nomadicone

I'd try what LOUD suggested. I doubt it is the Dillon brass cleaner. In fact if it was me I'd add another cap and let it run for 10 minutes before I added brass.
Old August 17, 2010, 10:17 PM   #6
Real Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRayz
I bought Dillon gear, including a tumbler and media separating basket. I pour the polished brass and media into the basket, then spin them around and the vast majority of the media drops away. But a fair amount 'sticks' to the inside of the plastic container, almost as though its stuck by static. Whether I pour the brass out or scoop it out by hand, some of this 'stuck' media clings to the brass. Mostly the outside, admittedly. Is this an issue? Is there some trick here to getting all this media off? I have used a capful of that Dillon polish to help clean the brass. Is that the problem? Or is there another issue?
I recently experienced a completely coated bowl for the first time. It was the only time I ran cases that had been lubed with Hornady One Shot case lube. They were some .40 S&W run through a bulge buster, and I wanted to buff out some die scuff marks. I like shiny ammo.

I cleaned up the bowl by wiping it down with a dryer sheet. We'll see how that goes. I did not take note of any media clinging to the brass.
Old August 18, 2010, 12:37 AM   #7
medalguy

I'm near Albuquerque and have seen the same problem, especially when humidity is very low. I bought a small spray can of stuff women use to keep their dresses from sticking to their legs, Static Cling or something like that. I sprayed the inside of the basket and let it dry a little while, voila, no more sticking. I sprayed the inside of my powder funnel and powder measure cylinder too, let it dry, no more powder sticking.
Old August 19, 2010, 03:48 PM   #8
eviltravis

I just dump mine into a five gallon bucket after tumbling it and then blow the excess media off with my air compressor.
Old August 20, 2010, 10:48 AM   #9
gregjc9

I've had a few times where the NuFinish polish and media seems to have collected inside a case or two. I've started putting the cases back into the vibratory tumber after seperating, for a few minutes sans any media, just to try and dislodge any media. So far it seems be working.
Old August 20, 2010, 10:58 AM   #10
Xfire68

That little bit of media left on your separator is not a issue. I would not even bother worrying about it.

Wait til you are cleaning as much brass as I am and you have media in your socks! LOL
Old August 20, 2010, 11:53 AM   #11
totaldla

I bought a Dillon media separator years ago and ended up having to enlarge the slots to accommodate the various sizes of corn cob media available. I took a drill bit & drill and used it like a router. Now media cleans out pretty fast.

One thing to mention, I add a couple tablespoons of denatured alcohol to the mix when I start it cleaning. It seems to collect the dust to the sides of the bowl and the alcohol evaporates off the brass very quickly.