The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 5, 2015, 10:24 AM   #76
JMC

Quote:
I went ahead and just bought a police trade in Glock 22. After reading all these posts I think I would rather take a chance on a Taurus made gun.
IMO, you made a wise choice.
Old February 5, 2015, 11:19 AM   #77
Armybrat

The Glock is a good choice, but Taurus gets trashed more as "junk" on the Internet gun boards than Kahr does.

Neither brand is junk, IMO.
Old February 5, 2015, 05:05 PM   #78
Darker Loaf

I have to say that I really think it's the poly-Kahr's that have problems. I've never heard of a steel Kahr having problems, which is really too bad. The poly Kahrs have such a nice form factor. At least Glock is stepping up these days with some single-stacks.

Maybe Kahr's new premium poly guns will run better? I'm pretty tempted by those, too.
Old February 5, 2015, 07:42 PM   #79
AustinTX

Quote:
I have to say that I really think it's the poly-Kahr's that have problems. I've never heard of a steel Kahr having problems, which is really too bad. The poly Kahrs have such a nice form factor. At least Glock is stepping up these days with some single-stacks.

Maybe Kahr's new premium poly guns will run better? I'm pretty tempted by those, too.
You see a few complaints about problems with steel Kahrs (at least one earlier in this thread), but not nearly as often as with the poly Kahrs.

And I agree that it really is a shame. My P380 would be a great pocket pistol if it only worked. Feels great in the hand, nice trigger, nice sights, easy to shoot well. I personally wouldn't be interested in the rest of their poly lineup, because I prefer everything about my PPS and because there are too many other good ultra-slim single-stacks out there in the service calibers (not so much in .45, I guess) for me to worry about what Kahr ever does there. But, man, a working P380 would be great.

I don't really view Glock as stepping up to the single-stack plate, though. I guess the G36 is nice for .45, but it's not super-slim. The G42 only makes sense to me as a gun for recoil-averse women; it's basically the same size as all the ultra-slim 9mm pistols.
Old February 7, 2015, 08:55 AM   #80
BadgerOne

I have had mixed luck with them. Bought a used P9 that runs flawlessly and is as accurate as any semi-auto I own.

Bought a new P45 that was an absolute disaster. The chamber depth or rifling leade depth or both was off...WAY off. Failures every 2-3 rounds, would not go into battery without a stiff smack to the back of the slide (which in retrospect probably affected bullet set-back and was stupid thing to do). To top it off the second mag they included was for a PM45 and couldn't be used. Crap QC, there is no way they test fired it without having the same problems. Sent it back and they made it right, but not what I expected for a $700 plastic gun.

Then picked up a new CW45 for the car, found one for $280 and decided to take a chance. It has been perfect from round one.

So, I have no idea how to feel about them. Got three that run now. I love the simplicity and genius of the design, and the triggers which IMO are great SD triggers. There are lot of other good single stacks out there now where you're probably not gambling with getting a bad one.