The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 17, 2013, 09:35 PM   #1
jake99

No Go Fail on Moss Chuckster .22WMR

I bought this rifle used, many moons ago. Probably shot a hundred rounds with it. It looks nice, worth fixing it? It shot nice before it blew up on me. I just got a NG gauge for it, and it's like it's not even in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chuckster1.jpg (176.0 KB, 50 views)
Old January 17, 2013, 09:45 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

What happened that you say it "blew up"? Better pictures of the receiver with the bolt closed and also of the bolt itself might help.

Jim
Old January 17, 2013, 09:57 PM   #3
jake99

The casing back of the cartridge split, along the rim. Powder burn, and ears ringing. I'll add a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bolt.jpg (195.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by jake99; January 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:06 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

It sounds like the rifle had excess headspace before, and that was the cause of the blowup, not the result of it. Since diagnosis long distance is not really feasible, I recommend you take it to a gunsmith and see if there is something seriously wrong and if so whether it can be fixed, or call Mossberg and ask about returning it to the factory for a checkup.

I can only say that AFAIK, those rifles are pretty good and not prone to giving trouble.

Jim
Old January 17, 2013, 10:14 PM   #5
jake99

Thanks Jim. It happened right after a buddy gave me an old box of shells, so I had it in the back of my mind that maybe it was them. But I just bought the gauge to check it, and it was nowhere near good.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:37 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I had the thought that you might be using .22 LR in it, but the picture definitely shows .22 WMR, so that possibility is out.

Jim
Old January 18, 2013, 12:29 AM   #7
jake99

I can't see even slight wear on the bolt handle, or the boss. The back of the bolt has a little flair out, where it rotates on the handle, but I can't imagine that that would make for even a thousandth, I don't know.. Kind of wondering if it ever passed a no-go when it was new. I'll put feeler gauges on it tomorrow, with and without the no-go, and see what it is. Maybe tig a little blob on the handle.
Old January 18, 2013, 01:39 PM   #8
mark clausen

If you go to Rimfire Central, the Mossberg forum, search for this thread
Mossberg 640K 22 Mag Loose Bolt? I tried to link it for you but failed but it is a thread that might help.Sorry about not linking it for you.
Mark
Old January 28, 2013, 09:43 PM   #9
Cowilke

nearly same thing here

Bought a 640kd used, put about 7 rounds through it and something seemed "off". Got to checking and noticed a couple of the brass were split/cracked down the side, all of the backs of the cases(closest to boltface) were bulged out a bit. Also found that after bolt was closed, with a round in the chamber, I could still push the bolt handle forward .029 in. Going to mill a set of go-nogo gauges and check this further. Just on quick inspection bolt appears to be ok, but the boss seems to maybe show some signs of wear. Gauges will tell the tale, will try to update after findings.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:45 PM   #10
Cowilke

Little more info.

Pulled the Bolt and removed firing pin and extractors, put bolt handle back and put bolt back in. Stuck a round in and closed the bolt, the round would slide back and forth between the bolt face and chamber. Pushing the bolt forward removed most of the "free" space. Bolt handle shows little or no wear, but the boss where the handle seats the bolt forward looks terrible, almost as if someone had ground away at it. I believe it to be fixable, will give it a go. Also the hammer spring has had 3 washers added in, I assume they were attempting to make the hammer throw harder to get the shells to fire. Which I assume was caused by the huge headspace present. Regardless it seems to be salvageable, More to come...