The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 19, 2011, 02:20 AM   #1
robellington

need a new stock for Winchester rifle

I just bought a 1973 Winchester M70 Featherweight .270 for my son for Christmas. It has two cracks in the stock. I want to replace the stock. It is a long action with a two piece bottom hinge plate (3 screws). It is of course a post 64 model. I want to know if the standard models will fit the featherweight barrel from a site like boyds or midwayusa. I'm interested in any personal information anyone can give me to help me make a good decision on what to do. One crack is near the back of the trigger which becomes a safety issue in my mind. It goes all the way from the outside of the stock to the inside of where the barrel sits in the stock behind the trigger on one side. I don't know if that can be repaired... doesn't seem like it just from guessing. To have the stock duplicated from a custom guy in AR would be about $5oo total. Ordering from Boyds or Midway... 1-200$. Would love to spend less if possible. Thanks for any good knowledge. This will be a nice little project into the Winchester World.
Old November 19, 2011, 11:33 AM   #2
jmr40

www.cdnnsports.com has several that will work at reasonble prices. Here is an example. http://www.cdnninvestments.com/wifeloacwast.html If you want to go really cheap this would also work
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/wisploacblsy2.html

If you go with a Featherweight stock you will have to open up the barrel channel for the thicker standard barrel. It is a simple job, just wrab sandpaper around a deep well socket of the correct size and sand the inside of the barrel chanel. Move up to larger socket sizes until you get it big enough to fit the barrel. I've done this several times with synthetic stocks. On a wood stock you will need to finish the inside of the barrel channel

The CDNN stocks fit the newer 1 piece bottom metal guns but can easily be modified 2 ways. You can buy an adaptor http://www.cdnninvestments.com/wistcosploac.html when you buy the stock.

Or you could simply place 2 flat washers between the stock and front of the floorplate. I've done this with 2 guns and they work just fine. There will be a very small gap between the floorplate (1/8") where the floorplate doesn't completely cover the opening in the stock. It is purely cosmetic and does not effect fuction. Here is a description of how to do it. I didn't feel I needed to use the larger washer since the floorplate holds the mag box in place. I simply used the 2 smaller washers.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...7775_7776/Page

This is the exact stock I'm using on one of my older Winchesters. Works great and would be my recomendation @ a little over $200 if you wanted to upgrade to a quality synthetic. If you zoom in on the bottom photo you can see the tiny gap at the back of the floorplate. Not an issue for me and I actually never notice it anymore.
Old November 19, 2011, 10:52 PM   #3
robellington

I'm impressed

The feedback given here is above and beyond anything I expected. I gaurantee that I will be more than willing to help someone else down the road when I get the oppertunity. What comes around, goes around, and many thanks. I am now excited to seriously look at upgrading to a composite stock for my son's rifle to follow in the footsteps of a more experienced gun enthusiast. I was actually pretty frustrated when I posted this last night, and now I am excited again to give my 13 year old son his first deer riffle this Christmas that is as old as the man giving it to him. Happy Thanksgiving folks... looks like this will be a good one.
Old November 19, 2011, 11:04 PM   #4
robellington

To JMR40... one more question

I really like the m70 sporter long action grade II/III walnut. Will it work for my m70 featherweight with the same adaptor and instructions? It's on the same site. I'm trying to get the nicest wood stock I can find just for that nastalgic feel coming from "Dad". If I can't do that, I'll defineately go up to a Bell and C composite. I did see one before in Midway that was a real tree edition and it was a mixture of fiberglass, composite, and cavlar. What are your thoughts on that. It is also a Bell and C
Old November 19, 2011, 11:15 PM   #5
mrawesome22

I browsed the stockys stocks website a while back and was quite impressed. I have heard a lot of good things about them.