The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 7, 2011, 09:59 PM   #26
603Country

AMT, I apologize for poking fun at the "Idot" spelling. I have made a couple of goofy spellings and posts in the past and nobody took potshots at me - which I appreciate - so I shouldn't take potshots at you.
Old June 8, 2011, 12:47 PM   #27
johnbt

iDot, it's the new Apple electronic sighting system. No, I'm still working on it. There's a joke there somewhere.
Old June 8, 2011, 02:38 PM   #28
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
You have to appriciate the Irony of calling someone else an Idiot and spelling it wrong !
Old June 8, 2011, 03:54 PM   #29
603Country

I know, oneoldsap, that's what got me going in the first place. But...truth is that I wasn't contributing anything. Too many people just step into a forum conversation with absolutely nothing worthwhile to add, and then I catch myself doing exactly the same thing.
Old June 8, 2011, 06:30 PM   #30
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Yes I suppose so , but lets not take ourselves too seriously . After all guns are just toys to most of us , a dangerous toy for sure but a toy none the less !
Old June 8, 2011, 07:42 PM   #31
GURU1911

As the former president of a 400 + members 100% nra shooting club in sw louisiana, i did my share of blunders, faux pax, & assorted other funny stuff at meetings, gun shows, & at the clubs 17 acre shooting facility.

Shooters generally have a great sense of humor & like to poke non-serious fun at each other, when the occasion arises. I had to learn very quickly to laugh at my "doo-fus" behavior & my corny jokes, but i ran unopposed for 5 years as president---the guys loved me for who i was and my commitment to the club, the nra, & to the us constitution.

Laugh hard & often, but keep them in the 10-ring !!!!!!

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old June 8, 2011, 09:22 PM   #32
603Country

I'll blame my frisky smart alec action of the other day on the intoxicating glow I had from just having shot my 220 Swift on my 100 yard range, with great results. The gun shot great already, but I just got around to turning the necks a trifle and loading up a fresh batch. Man, it shot even better with the turned necks. I took 4 rounds with me from the shop to the bench and they all went in 1 ragged hole. I was floating on air....which gets me into the smart alec phase. I wasn't my normal self....
Old June 9, 2011, 09:46 AM   #33
GURU1911

MR. 603

WE CAN ALL UNDERSTAND THAT "BUZZ" YOU WERE EXPERIENCING FROM SHOOTING THAT ONE-HOLER @ 100 YARDS. MANY YEARS AGO, I "HOT-RODDED" A REM 700 .270 WINCHESTER FOR A FELLOW IN LAKE CHARLES. DID EVERYTHING I COULD TO ACCURIZE THE RIFLE EXCEPT TO REPLACE THE FACTORY BARREL.

SET HIM UP ON A CONCRETE BENCH & MOUNTED THE RIFLE IN MY STEEL FRAME SHOOTING JIG. HE CALMLY PROCEEDED TO FIRE A 3-SHOT GROUP WITH SOME WINCHESTER WHITE BOX AMMO HE BOUGHT ON SALE AT MART-MART. AFTER MEASURING THE GROUP & SUBTRACTING THE BULLET DIAMETER, THE FINAL MEASUREMENT WAS .092" CTC---WE BOTH NEARLY FAINTED !!!!!! HE GAVE ME A BIG HUG & A $50 TIP. TWELVE PEOPLE IN HIS FAMILY HARVESTED 18 DEER THAT SEASON WITH ONE SHOT EACH----WOW !!!!!!

SO I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND THE BUZZ FACTOR AS YOU DESCRIBE. BY THE CONFESSION OF YOUR MOUTH, YOUR SHOOTING SINS HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN BY THE READERS OF THIS FORUM. CONTINUE TO SHOOT, BUT SIN NO MORE. (ha-ha-lol-giggle-giggle)

GURU1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old June 9, 2011, 02:33 PM   #34
PetahW

[I wonder how much they would charge him if he sent the slide in? Less than the cost of a tool perhaps?]

Depends.

Consider:

$300 (+/-) special tool needed.

"X" number of expected jobs requiring above tool, which will help defray the tool cost (amortization)

Do the math as if it was YOUR only bread & butter - Would YOU accept ONE job requiring a $300 tool you don't have (and most like can't get), and do it for peanuts ?