The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old March 1, 2011, 11:07 AM   #1
taylorce1

Want to rant!

Recently there has been a rash of 'text' style posting on the forums. In the past I've tried to send PM to the culprits to get them to clean up their post. This has usually fallen on deaf ears by the posters.

So I've tried posting on their topics and asking/telling them to clean it up, and I'm not the only one that has done this. Then we get responses like this:
Quote:
yes yes yes ive heard it before and dont have time for it so i would lay off because my grammar and or spelling is not the worst in this forum
Then there are the other members whose posts are even far worse than the 'texters':
Quote:
Today i had boughten powder cleaner for my mosin nagant and i was finally able to find the rifling Thats sad that shows how well the person before me had taken care of it
I'm sure these are young members and while I don't want to get them kicked off the site, I just want to read coherent posts. I find myself not wanting to offer any advice to these members except that they pay English tutoring. Plus I catch quite a bit of negativity from other members for pointing out the bad posting especially if I quote rule #4 from the FAQ.

I'm not saying that I'm any expert on English or Grammar as most of my education after high school has taken place in the Army. The Army really isn't known for employing English Professors that is for sure. And most military writing is done in bullet style comments. If I find problems in my posts I'll edit them if the option is available, as I want to practice what I'm preaching.

Without sounding like a forum Nazi how do we stear these members to clean up their posts?
Old March 1, 2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Evan Thomas

From Rule 4:
Quote:
Mangling of the English language whether through ignorance, age, sloth or intent...
Hit the "report post" button, say I, when a post is clearly in violation of forum rules. Rule 4 is pretty clear, I think. I admit, I get a bit lazy about this, and I too try not to be a "grammar Nazi" -- but I was also annoyed by both of the posts you're referring to, as I've been, Heaven knows, by plenty of others.

I fret a little about bugging the moderators with this stuff, as well, but then again, if enough of us report these posts, it will help to show that plenty of members do care, and -- who knows -- might encourage the Mods to remove "recidivists," as Rule 4 also says they should...
Old March 1, 2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Jake Balam

I post 99% of my replies and threads from my cellphone. Some people just really suck at sentence structure...
Old March 1, 2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Vanya has it right.... I always feel bad reporting those posts, especially because "crappy grammar and incoherent sentence structure" is not in the list of reasons for reporting a post and all the reasons that ARE listed seem "serious"....

PM the offenders has never netted any positive results for me... I am either ignored or attacked.
Old March 1, 2011, 01:10 PM   #5
taylorce1

Just got this video from my Wife, who knows I've been on this rant lately.
Old March 1, 2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK.

First off, generally it's considered to be fairly bad form to go after someone in public about their grammar, spelling, etc.

Granted, some posts demand it simply because you can't figure out what the poster is trying to say. In those cases, you should ask for clarification of content, but should not start wantonly slamming the OP's lack of various skills...

BUT...

Please remember if you think something is a problem, it's NEVER the wrong course of action to click the report post button and let staff deal with it.

Trust me, stuff like this does NOT go unnoticed by staff. When necessary, we deal with it.

I'm going to close this now.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread