The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 22, 2009, 10:23 PM   #26
ActivShootr

Sounds like they knew they guy and knew he had a stash of guns and ammo.
Old April 23, 2009, 02:31 AM   #27
Housezealot

Quote:
As cool as it would be, you're setting yourself up for a lawsuit. Booby trapping your home in most places im aware of...
and isn't that sad? a guy has to worry about the well being of a thief. for some reason I have let a lot of threads get my blood pressure up today. I don't tend to agree with the things our middle eastern neighbors do (wife abuse/honor killings) but the idea of cutting a thiefs hand off seems smart to me, and if its not a deterent it will sure as heck make it harder to steal next time. Some day i will win the lottery and move to texas were a man can defend his family and property the way god (and sam colt) intended
Old April 23, 2009, 04:03 AM   #28
freakintoguns

thats agood thing about NM if some jerk off is in your home you can let em have it from both barrels. but then again if said watse of flesh trips and falls in my empty pool and breaks himself( hopefully hsi neck and he expries and no one has to deal with his stupidity anymore) he or his family can sue us.

stuff like this is also why i wouldnt like living ina apartment, happent o knowa girl who was raped and her neighbors assumed that the noise was the TV. i know that if i hear screams in my neighborhood its not someones TV. its somethign bad and i need to0 call the cops ASAP, and arm myself incase the attacker wants to come into my house and defile my mother.
Old April 23, 2009, 10:16 AM   #29
ZeSpectre

Just a thought I've mentioned before (and you can laugh all you want) but since it's a loooooong wood-floored hallway to my bedroom I also keep a big bag of marbles on the nightstand near the door. If I ever think someone is coming down the hallway one of the first things I'm doing is rolling all those marbles down the hall!
Old April 23, 2009, 10:29 AM   #30
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Quote:
As cool as it would be, you're setting yourself up for a lawsuit. Booby trapping your home in most places im aware of...
The real irony here is that castle doctrine in a lot of states (mine included) allows a homeowner to legally kill an intruder just for breaking in. The law assumes they were there to harm you just by the act of B&E.

In Rhode Island, you are also immune from any injuries someone may incur while illegally entering your home. I won't try it, but I assume booby traps are legal?

Quote:
§ 11-8-8 Injury or death – Defense. – In the event that any person shall die or shall sustain a personal injury in any way or for any cause while in the commission of any criminal offense enumerated in §§ 11-8-2 – 11-8-6, it shall be rebuttably presumed as a matter of law in any civil or criminal proceeding that the owner, tenant, or occupier of the place where the offense was committed acted by reasonable means in self-defense and in the reasonable belief that the person engaged in the criminal offense was about to inflict great bodily harm or death upon that person or any other individual lawfully in the place where the criminal offense was committed. There shall be no duty on the part of an owner, tenant, or occupier to retreat from any person engaged in the commission of any criminal offense enumerated in §§ 11-8-2 – 11-8-6.
Old April 23, 2009, 06:26 PM   #31
freakintoguns

espectre! i liek the way you think!
Old April 23, 2009, 06:40 PM   #32
beasley

I have a special button I push that drops a bunch of poisonous cobras from a special compartment on to the people breaking in. While they're fighting the cobras I release my electric eels...
Old April 23, 2009, 07:03 PM   #33
KLRANGL

Quote:
I won't try it, but I assume booby traps are legal?
I doubt it...

Quote:
§ 11-8-8 Injury or death – Defense. – In the event that any person shall die or shall sustain a personal injury in any way or for any cause while in the commission of any criminal offense enumerated in §§ 11-8-2 – 11-8-6, it shall be rebuttably presumed as a matter of law in any civil or criminal proceeding that the owner, tenant, or occupier of the place where the offense was committed acted by reasonable means in self-defense and in the reasonable belief that the person engaged in the criminal offense was about to inflict great bodily harm or death upon that person or any other individual lawfully in the place where the criminal offense was committed. There shall be no duty on the part of an owner, tenant, or occupier to retreat from any person engaged in the commission of any criminal offense enumerated in §§ 11-8-2 – 11-8-6.
Just guessing on it here, but if you can find a law or legal precedent where booby trapping your home is okay, I'd like to know. Everything Ive heard before leads to the contrary though...

Quote:
god (and sam colt)
Theres a difference?
Old April 23, 2009, 10:41 PM   #34
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
If I am awake I have a sidearm on my person at all times (except the rare occasion I have a beer or two)
Why should that change? I had a beer with pizza for dinner tonight and my firearm remained on my side. My right of self-defense doesn't change when I decide to have a beer in my own home. If anybody thinks I should have first went to my safe and locked up the firearm, I'll tell them to their face they're nuts. A simple drink and getting drunk are two different things.
Old April 23, 2009, 11:15 PM   #35
KLRANGL

Quote:
My right of self-defense doesn't change when I decide to have a beer in my own home.
I agree... its all about personal responsibility...
Old April 24, 2009, 12:53 AM   #36
blkft1

Home invasions are getting a little bad around here [outside of Dallas] and especially across the Hwy from us [The Grove area especially].Last coupl'a times I've been to the G store I talked to a few gents [one was a first time buyer] that had next door neighbors or themselves victimized.Doesnt matter if its day or night seems once the BG's decide to go shopping they just do it regardless.The only pre-warning system I have currently is a 150lb BloodHound who doesnt like no one except us [the Fam] and LOUDLY tells us when somebody/something is lurkin around or by the property.Used to be a decent area and still is but things are starting to change of course and always for the worst.Atleast our Police [Mesquite] keep a pretty good presence and do a very good job.
Old April 24, 2009, 04:25 AM   #37
Piper Cub

I lock the apartment door, set the alarm, then lock my bedroom door and finaly my bathroom door. Sleeping in the tub(metal) I feel so much safer.
Old April 24, 2009, 09:13 AM   #38
Housezealot

Quote:
Why should that change? I had a beer with pizza for dinner tonight and my firearm remained on my side. My right of self-defense doesn't change when I decide to have a beer in my own home. If anybody thinks I should have first went to my safe and locked up the firearm, I'll tell them to their face they're nuts. A simple drink and getting drunk are two different things.
Alright, I generally don't drink often, but on the ocasion I do (buddy visiting or what have you) I general have 4 or 5 and then I DO NOT handle firearms, personal rule of mine, there is no such thing as small mistake with a firearm, but if i was to only drink a beer I suppose I wouldn't feel it neccassary to lock upo my piece either.
Old April 24, 2009, 11:52 AM   #39
KingEdward

thanks all for the replies. I have ordered a club like device for the door. It acts as both a jam and sounds alarm. This will eliminate the dresser being used.