The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 23, 2012, 11:29 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Bio Targets compared to Clay

For the past couple of weeks the range I shoot has been using biodegradable targets. It had been unsing white flyer clay targets. Some have said they are harder to break and it seems to be the case, but I am wondering how much is the targets and how much is me.

With clays, I think I would more often get a chip off of one or two targets per 25 and it seems with these that I either break them into 3 pieces or better or nothing.

Any idea what, if any, number of targets one is likely to miss from the 16 yard trap line?
Old May 24, 2012, 12:17 AM   #2
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
For the past couple of weeks the range I shoot has been using biodegradable targets. It had been unsing white flyer clay targets. Some have said they are harder to break and it seems to be the case, but I am wondering how much is the targets and how much is me.

With clays, I think I would more often get a chip off of one or two targets per 25 and it seems with these that I either break them into 3 pieces or better or nothing.

Any idea what, if any, number of targets one is likely to miss from the 16 yard trap line?
KlawMan,

The new targets are harder to break than the older style targets... They also behave differently in the breeze.. I've found this to be the case on both the trap and skeet field...

One thing I don't like about the new targets that even when hit well they tend to break into larger pieces that are hazards to people and wood stocks..

The new targets have not been detrimental to my skeet and trap scores... The 1oz loads at 1235 fps break them well although now you seem to get more chips with the loads at 1145...
Old May 24, 2012, 12:37 AM   #3
zippy13

Quote:
Are you asking, how many more misses if using bio targets over conventional clays? At 16-yards your score shouldn't change, but your breaks might not be as pretty with the bios. I think we've all experienced hitting a target (standard or bio) hard enough to significantly alter its path without getting a visible chip.

I've mentioned this before:
One year the NSSA complained to the target maker that there was too much shrinkage (targets broken before the shooter sees them) at the annual World Shoot. So, the target manufacturer strengthened the mix significantly for the next year. That year, the shrinkage was way down and Al Clark won the World Shoot HOA with a 547x550. The previous and subsequent years the winning HOA was 550x550.

If you run the numbers, a 547x550 equals 99.4545…%, or 24.86363… in a round of 25, or roughly half a target in 100.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:25 AM   #4
oneounceload

Zero more misses - I shot my state sporting championship where they used bios - no difference at all - except for the barren waste land these "environmentally friendly" targets create.

I would discourage any club from using them as the sulfur in them destroys ALL vegetation leaving the land useless and subject to serious erosion.

If you put the pellets where they need to be, they break easily - even at sporting clay distances which far exceed trap and skeet
Old May 24, 2012, 10:36 AM   #5
TheKlawMan

Damn. I thought I had another excuse.
Old May 24, 2012, 02:30 PM   #6
BigJimP

I would probably say if you track your averages...if they fall off 1 target or maybe 2 at the most ....don't worry about it too much ....having to shoot these things is aggravating...because you'll get more breakage on the machine ( which will mess with your concentration ) ...and their flight path is more erratic.

Sporting clays shooters don't worry - as much - about irregular flight paths...but even there, the targets need to be consistent for each shooter at the same station - to be fair.

the erratic flight of these targets is magnified ...over traditional White Flyers - and in some wind conditions it will be a little more challenging / but in Trap singles ...you have to take them while they're still under power and climbing ....if you're late on these Bio's ...they will helicopter or fall like a rock ...or even slide sideways a little ....so you have to be consistent with your hold points and stay aggressive ( under control ) but aggressive ( not that you shouldn't anyway ) !

So I'll give you 1 target ...against your averages / on a windy day ...I'll give you 2....in 16 yd Trap.

Last edited by BigJimP; May 24, 2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old May 25, 2012, 01:02 AM   #7
TheKlawMan

Thanks Jim. I shot today and it was very windy at Prado. My score sucked but was a target better than yesterday, which was one better than the week before. Before then I got into shooting half decently and then everything fell apart.

I did notice that I was breaking the birds a lot better; some were pretty well powdered. The only change I made was I changed from a 29 to a 30 MEC bushing. Next week I am going to try the same powder drop but go from a 1 ounce load to 7/8.

You are right about the wind. Some shot low and some climbed like the spaceship Enterprise. I still shoot late but am starting to speed it up as I seem to be getting better at igoring the bead.

There was one that I know I hit pretty well since I saw it take an abrupt change direction instead of breaking. Still, I didn't see a piece and didn't score a kill.
Old May 25, 2012, 01:19 AM   #8
.300 Weatherby Mag

Klawman,

I need to bring some of my 1 1/8oz loads at 1350... Even the bio targets are crushed!!!
Old May 25, 2012, 01:39 AM   #9
TheKlawMan

I looked for you the last couple of days (actually for you orange truck). One reason I am going back to 7/8 is I had 2 flinches out of the last 7 boxes and a stiff neck.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:53 PM   #10
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
I looked for you the last couple of days (actually for you orange truck). One reason I am going back to 7/8 is I had 2 flinches out of the last 7 boxes and a stiff neck.
Had to work to buy more shells...
Old May 27, 2012, 04:12 AM   #11
TheKlawMan

Don't mention shooting costs. I am doing the budget for next year and yikes! You crush the bios with 1350 fps 1-1/8 loads. This one old boy I see often does it pretty well with his .410.
Old May 28, 2012, 07:28 PM   #12
jrothWA

Really, want to have FUN???

Find any old "pitch" birds and SOAK in used motor oil and launch them,

Your partners will shoot and "MISS" but they aren't as the pitch clays are NOT going to break until hitting the ground.

A interesting to mess up a fellow trapper/skeeter day!
Old May 28, 2012, 10:49 PM   #13
TheKlawMan

jrothWA, I know someone in your neck of the woods that is ripe for that kind of treament; soaking the pitch birds.