The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2006, 08:16 PM   #1
JDG

9mm Powder Results

Using WWB 115gr ammo for comparison, I loaded up some 115gr fmj bullets with some powders I had. Using start load data, I loaded 50 each with 6.5gr HS6, 4.5gr Universal, 3.6gr Clays. I liked the HS6 the best, but I gotta tell ya, clays might be my choice for indoor range shooting. Everything I shot grouped very well out of my CZ, but clays was by far the softest of the three powders. HS6 was about equal to the WWM in recoil, and I think the Universal hit a little sharper. All three powders worked great.
Old February 20, 2006, 06:37 AM   #2
Joe D

You will find that the faster powders will shoot the softest. I happen to like Titegroup for 9mm, .40 and .45ACP. It is a bit slower than Clays, but safer when you are trying to make Major with a .40.
Old February 20, 2006, 08:42 AM   #3
Jim Watson

In the absence of a chronograph, it is likely the Clays load simply had the lowest velocity and power factor and actually DID recoil less.
I think you have to have the sensitivity of The Princess And The Pea to tell a difference in recoil by powder burn rate, all other things being truly equal. Of course Joe is a pro and knows these things.
Old February 20, 2006, 09:18 AM   #4
HSMITH

I can feel the difference between powders, and in some cases see the difference on the timer in match situations and practice drills.
Old February 20, 2006, 10:29 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

ooh ooh I wanna share

I could feel the difference when changing guide rods in oneamy 1911's.

I no longer use anything faster than AA5 in 9x19.
Old February 20, 2006, 12:49 PM   #6
918v

I can hear the difference between powders. Some are piercing, some pop, others boom.
Old February 20, 2006, 01:51 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Now that I can distinguish. Power Pistol is loud. Titegroup has a sharp pop of a report, some of the cowpersons are annoyed by that.
I am working on some new loads, I will see if I can get to the same velocity with two different powders and tell a difference in the feel of the recoil.
Old February 20, 2006, 03:31 PM   #8
caz223

The softest shooting ammo will be using the heaviest bullet and the fastest powder.
The problem is once you get there, you got pressure spikes that are hard on the gun.
Not to mention the risk of making a hand grenade.
I don't use reloads for self defense anyway, so I can play it safe and practice with power pistol loads and 147 grain bullets, and if I have to use the 9mm in self defense, I can be pleasantly surprised on how little recoil the factory loads have.
Old February 20, 2006, 08:25 PM   #9
Joe D

Jim I am more of an x-spurt. I sure do hate getting old. One of these matches my wife will beat me.