The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

View Poll Results: What's your preference in B/P rifles
Traditional 43 93.48%
In-Line 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 16, 2012, 02:35 PM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Why? Here we go again.

I'll admit right from the get go I'm a traditional shooter at heart when it comes to B/P rifles. We traditionalist all know there are many different twist rate barrels available from some manufactures and aftermarket suppliers for our preferred style of rifle. My questions:

I haven't seen replacement drop in barrels offered in different twist rates for the owners of inline rifles. Why is that?

If your a inline rifle owner and if there were replacement barrels available. What other twist rate would you purchase?~~ why?

I've always wondered if we Traditional shooters had a distinct advantage over our fellow Brother'n. You know. Those others who believe in-lines are the cats meow in B/P rifles. After all is said and done. I'm curious as to what you personally think?
Old July 16, 2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Hawg

I'm a traditionalist through and through. You don't wanna know what I think about inlines. My guess is inline shooters for the most part don't care anything for tradition or history but just want an extended deer season. They want something as close to their normal deer rifle as possible.
Old July 17, 2012, 06:47 AM   #3
bedbugbilly

"In line"??? My wife tells me that I'd better keep my behavior "in line".

My thoughts pretty much parallel Hawg's . . . . but, to be fair, to each their own. To me, traditional and in-lines are worlds apart.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 17, 2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Didn't vote because I like them both, I chose in-line for my hunting rifle because of the weather conditions I face up here in the north woods and wanted to ensure a shot. It's still a muzzle loader and it still has iron sights and in-lines were patented way back in 1808 by Jean Samuel Pauly. He was also instrumental in helping to create the first self contained cartridge. Hawg is gonna hurt me but the in-line does have a long and honorable history.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 17, 2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Hawg

Grump, there were inlines in use waaay before that. The first ones were flintlocks but none of them caught on or ever gained any popularity because they were fraught with problems. Modern inlines are what I really have a problem with but it's just easier to lump them all together to avoid confusion.
Old July 17, 2012, 05:09 PM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Everything new has problems that's why it took that little Swiss guy some time to iron out the kinks and from there he went to developing cartridges, natural progression.

Heck our first family car was an old Ford. If you wanted to go up the hill you had to turn around and go up in reverse or the carburetor would dry up and you are now at a dead stop halfway up the hill. Daddy learned me some new words that day but they fixed the problem.

Now I will admit to drawing the line at loading up a large rifle cartridge and trying to take it deer hunting during muzzle loader season just because it's black powder. Muzzle loaders is muzzle loaders. I'm also a bit aghast at shooters with high power scopes and sabot shells used in a muzzle loader during deer season, taint right. However my gun loads from the front, shoots a round ball .490" in diameter and has iron sights, it just uses a shotgun primer instead of flint. It can't shoot any further than your flintlock....unless you are still using a smooth bore musket?
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 17, 2012, 05:27 PM   #7
Hawg

Well here inlines are obsolete. Our primitive weapons season is beyond a joke. All you need is a single shot breech loader with an external hammer over 35 caliber. Smokeless powder and scopes are allowed.
Old July 17, 2012, 11:40 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Traditional. For range and striking power, inlines don't compare to a Minie rifle. For looks, the graceful lines of a flintlock exceed anything an inline can try.
Old July 18, 2012, 01:28 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Traditional. For range and striking power, inlines don't compare to a Minie rifle.
Shhhhhhh
Old July 18, 2012, 10:03 AM   #10
Pahoo

I'll pass

Quote:
Why? Here we go again.
No, I won't as I never tell a man what to do with his money or his wife. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 18, 2012, 10:49 AM   #11
Wild Bill Bucks

My grandfather started me hunting & Fishing when I was about 5 years old. My arsenal consisted of a home-made bow and 2 arrows made from hickory shafts,
and an old .22 rifle that was worn out when it was given to me. Although these were pretty simple beginnings, I thought they would harvest an elephant if need be. I got into powder rifles about age 16, and started with an old kit gun, that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't.

As I grew up I got into long bows and factory bought arrows, and a .30-.30 rifle, and my powder rifle was a new percussion cap Thompson that I still own. This worked a lot better until I got to be in my 40's, and started to develop some elbow and shoulder problems. I had to get a crossbow in order to enjoy the archery season, and got an inline powder rifle so I could take advantage of the 1 week season, whether in rained or not. This kept me from sitting all day in the rain, waiting on that one good shot, and having the gun putter out because of moisture in my rifle.

Around the age of 50, I started to need glasses to see my sights, and before to long, even my glasses did not help much, so I looked to put a scope on my powder rifle. I quickly found out that there were not any traditional rifles that would hold a scope very well, so I had to up-grade my rifles so I could mount a scope on them, which meant going to an inline rifle that was made for a scope.

I've lived with all the critics about my going from traditional to modern through the years, and I take it all pretty much in stride, as I see all the points from both sides, and I have enjoyed the time I had with traditional weapons, as well as the modern rifles and equipment.

BUT... My first love is the hunt, and I must do whatever it takes for me to enjoy the sport as long as I possibly can. If I can't make an ethical kill with the weapon I have, then I'm going to up-grade until I can.
Not to step on anyones feelings, as I enjoyed all the weapons I have had, but sometimes you make choices, not out of preference, but from necessity.
Old July 18, 2012, 12:24 PM   #12
Rachen

Traditional all the way.

While I support any and all kind of firearms development and new experimentation, in-lines are not my taste and never will be.

If I want to use an old style rifle but easier and faster to load and shoot, I'll just take out my Mauser K-98 or Krag-Jorgensen
Old July 18, 2012, 12:38 PM   #13
BigG

Just fired patched ball rifles. Didn't know they came in any twist other than 1:66 or so. Must be something new...
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 18, 2012, 12:44 PM   #14
mykeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill Bucks
got an inline powder rifle so I could take advantage of the 1 week season, whether in rained or not. This kept me from sitting all day in the rain, waiting on that one good shot, and having the gun putter out because of moisture in my rifle.
There are many simple, easy precautions you can take to prevent moisture from entering a traditional sidelock rifle. People have been doing it for years. You don't NEED an inline for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill Bucks
I quickly found out that there were not any traditional rifles that would hold a scope very well, so I had to up-grade my rifles so I could mount a scope on them, which meant going to an inline rifle that was made for a scope.
I have no idea why you would say that there are no traditional rifles that will hold a scope well. What's wrong with the T/C New Englander?

I think you're just making up excuses. If you just prefer an inline, say so.
Old July 18, 2012, 12:56 PM   #15
Hawg

I've been hunting with sidelocks for over 35 years. I had some ignition problems in wet weather early on but none in the last 30 years or so.....Knock on wood.
Old July 18, 2012, 06:26 PM   #16
North East Redneck

I prefer traditional black powder guns. I own a .50 inline, a 12gauge inline and an ROA. Love em. They do what I ask em to do, most of the time. But I do prefer sidelocks. Also, I really enjoy the 1858 and 1851. My percussion .54 is my baby. She aint pretty and she is not super accurate past 50 or so yards. I've yet to buy a flint lock. But its on the short list. I just love traditional style weapons. Shooting black powder guns is a passion. Cartridge guns are tons of fun, but I find myself using traditional black powder guns more. Nothing can compare to building a load, testing it, and seeing the results through a cloud of smoke made by a gun that's been in use for over 150 years.
Old July 19, 2012, 11:28 AM   #17
Wild Bill Bucks

Excuse me Mykeal, I posted wrong. It should have read a more modern rifle instead of an in-line. The first rifle I scoped WAS a Thompson New Englander.

I tried everything from saran wrapping nipples to putting rubbers over the barrel, and had pretty good luck keeping moisture out of the Thompson, but after 4 or 5 years of rainy deer seasons, I finally just got tired of playing with it
and switched over to an inline. I liked my Thompson, but I'm more into the hunt than I am into what I'm using, and the inline is just a lot less hassle for me.

I don't need to make excuses for owning one, anymore than any one else would have to explain to me why they hunt the way they do. I have never looked down or ridiculed anyone for their preference in hunting, unless they prefer to do it out of season.
Old July 19, 2012, 01:20 PM   #18
Hawg

I have to agree with Mykeal. Muzzle loaders of one type or another have been successfully taking deer in all kinds of weather for at least 500 years.
Old July 19, 2012, 08:12 PM   #19
Shotput79

I voted Traditional because I love the older guns and always will. As a shooter collecter of these guns I also have one in-line and shoot it cause I can. I don't see or have a problem with a man or women that has or uses a inline rifle. As one member has already said his eyes give him trouble to see the target with open sights so he has to use a scope on his rifle. I don't have a problem with a person wanting to have fun with what works for him or her. If you want to split hairs than I would ask why are we using the flint locks, and cap locks rifles instead of match lock rifles for this kind of shooting and hunting. I would hope we wouldn't kick someone out of the camp just because they are different than we are. OK I'll get off my soap box now. Hope you don't hate me to much now.
Old August 28, 2012, 12:29 AM   #20
Ben Towe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotput79 View Post
I voted Traditional because I love the older guns and always will. As a shooter collecter of these guns I also have one in-line and shoot it cause I can. I don't see or have a problem with a man or women that has or uses a inline rifle. As one member has already said his eyes give him trouble to see the target with open sights so he has to use a scope on his rifle. I don't have a problem with a person wanting to have fun with what works for him or her. If you want to split hairs than I would ask why are we using the flint locks, and cap locks rifles instead of match lock rifles for this kind of shooting and hunting. I would hope we wouldn't kick someone out of the camp just because they are different than we are. OK I'll get off my soap box now. Hope you don't hate me to much now.
^This:thumbup:. I don't see too much enthusiasm for using match locks or wheel locks. I'm not an inline fan personally, but whatever floats your boat is good with me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old August 28, 2012, 02:21 AM   #21
shortwave

Can remember as a kid, the 'ole flinters' not liking us young whipper snappers new- fangled caplocks very well either.

I like shootin all of them.