The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2011, 05:24 PM   #26
Doodlebugger45

Ballistic Coefficient, Sectional Density
Old October 6, 2011, 07:31 PM   #27
DoubleB

I bought a Lee Classic Turret setup last month to load both .45 and 9mm. I considered both a Dillon 550b and the Hornaday LNL, but went with the Lee due to my budget. I have more time than money at the moment. I was a complete newbe to reloading and honestly just looking to either save some money or shoot more. Before buying anything, I checked out the ABC's of reloading from my local library and read it twice. I then purchased the Lee and Lyman reloading manuals and read them a couple of times. I used some Youtube videos to help with setting up my press and dies. I can now say that I have loaded and shot about 600 rounds of my own ammo. I now believe that I won't be saving any money but I will be shooting much more!
Old October 7, 2011, 04:25 PM   #28
Old 454

Guys you have been most helpfull and have helped me go in the right direction.

Thank you all for taking the time and being patient with me,and answering alot of questions.

I think this one of the best forums for shooting I have seen, thanks again!
Old October 11, 2011, 07:12 AM   #29
Don P

Maybe its me but to date I have not had any problems with the Lee scale. All I do is make sure it zeros every time I use it and for me it holds the adjustment for the duration of my reloading sessions. Yesterday I loaded 505 rounds of 9 mm and not once did I have to fiddle with the scale while reloading. I'm just curious as to what the complaints are with the Lee scale?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 11, 2011, 07:56 AM   #30
Sevens

The Lee Safety scale is a highly accurate device. To be able to build a unit and sell it for around $20-$25 that is that accurate and reliable is quite a feat, IMO. With it's price tag, I won't ever accept anyone saying that they can't afford an accurate scale.

It's got problems, however, and those problems limit it's popularity.

It's capped at 110 grain capacity, which is a definite limiting factor if you want to weigh anything other that powder charges. (bullets, brass, etc)

And the vernier scale for tenth-grain adjustments is very difficult for some folks to understand and also quite difficult for most folks to easily read.

If you can learn to use it and accept it's limitations, it's a quality device for seriously low dollars. In that regard, it should always have it's place in the market and anyone that calls it junk is likely too ignorant to figure out how to use it.
Old October 11, 2011, 09:14 PM   #31
Lost Sheep

Sevens (post #30)

Sevens is right on target.

I got one in trade (even though I had another scale already) and tried it out. I did not like it at all. I didn't think it was junk, but I dismissed it as unusable for normal humans.

Then, I happened upon the instruction sheet, and read it.

I still prefer my other scale, but have become a fan of the Lee Scale.

No one has an excuse for not having a scale. It is affordable, and seriously accurate.

Lost Sheep
Old October 11, 2011, 09:55 PM   #32
Orochimaru

The more research you can do in advance the better off you'll be. YouTube has some great videos, too.

I was in your shoes a few short months ago. Lots of questions and research later, I'm quite happy with my setup (Lee Classic Turret Press).

On mine, I removed the indexing rod (I want to run it more like a single stage). The press is solid and smooth, and it has consistently produced flawless ammo with shooting results that I'm quite happy with. I've purchased a number of spare 4-hole quick-change turrets which are amazingly convenient. Changing calibers is merely a matter of a turret and shellholder swap.