The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 24, 2009, 02:41 PM   #1
azredhawk44

Sigh... my turret setup sucks.

Lyman T-mag turret.

Can't recommend it at all.

The priming system was obviously never tested by the people that designed it, and they had no beta quality checking of the design.

A spring-actuated priming arm at the bottom of the press engages a primer feed tube held by the turret head. A spring loaded detent stops the primers from falling out of the primer feed tube (supposedly).

The priming arm comes back and catches a single primer and relieves pressure on the detent. You then manually push the priming arm under the ram to prime your case, the detent (is supposed to) come back forward and stop the rest of the primers from falling out, and life is supposed to be wonderful.

Yeah, right. Let me tell you how it actually works.

First off: Your "turret" press is no longer a turret once you install the priming system. If you have a loaded primer tube inserted in the press and you rotate the head... primers fall out the bottom. So, it's essentially a single stage with multiple heads rather than a turret. My intended use was to take a case from fired to re-loaded without removing it from the ram, eliminating case handling time and rotating the head for each stage (decap/resize/prime, flare/powder charge, seat/crimp). However, my perfectly good primers fall from the priming tube and mix with the spent primers in the primer catch tray. I don't like wasting 4 primers for each produced cartridge.

Secondly: this feed system does not stop primers from flipping sideways in the tube, and they have wound up sideways when they find their way into the priming arm cup. I think this has to do with the detent in the primer tube assembly.

Thirdly: There's a detent spring tension adjustment... that does nothing. I've run it all the way in, I've backed it all the way out, I've tried various places in between... no change in primer reliability.

Lyman: Your turret press priming system is the most gawd awful thing I've ever been cursed to use that I've actually paid for with the intent to use. Yeah, single stage presses come with a priming arm and are supposedly a feature that you pay for when you buy a press... but no one in their right mind uses it.

Primers I used were CCI small pistol primers, for .38 special.

Anyone want to try and convince me that I need to make "X" adjustment, or that the lyman system works really good if I use it for large primers and just give up on small primers with it?

Aside from the Lyman priming design... I've gotta give a big thumbs down to the Lee Pro Auto Disk. I've got the thumbscrews all tightened down, but I get loose powder all over my bench surface as the thing operates. The powder involved in this case is Titegroup.

Does the Lee PAD leak when using disks for anyone else? How about the adjustable charge bar? Does it leak?

Very glad I bought a Dillon Square Deal B for my handgun loading recently. I was going nuts from trying to keep up with my handgun shooting while using a single stage (~150rds a week since I've taken up some shooting competitions). The turret was going to help... but evidently it's a failed solution.
Old November 24, 2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Sam06

AZred,

I don't prime on the machine at all(Except progressive). I use a hand priming tool and have most of the 32 years I have been Reloading.

For handgun Loading I use a 550B. For Rifle cartridges i want to get maximum accuracy out of I use a Co-ax with one exception. I have a 6mmBR that i use an arbor press for.

I have a Redding T7 that has worked great for a long time. Its a good press but they are getting spendy now. I really don't use it as a true "turret" Press anymore. I changed the way i do stuff.

I think you might have better luck doing your Priming as a separate task. For single stage and turret reloading this is the way I do it;

De-prime, Tumble, Size(Trim if needed),Case prep........... Hand Prime, load.....................I do the 1st step when I come back from the range. When I get ready to load I use either a Hornaday Powder measure or my RCBS 1500 which works great. I hand Prime with a Lee tool but If I was to do it again I would go with the RCBS tool. I am married to the lee as I have a boatload of the shell holders and 2 of the tools now. The Lee was the only game in town back then. I have a Sinclare tool also and they are very nice but not very fast.

I know I will get flamed for saying this but Lee Reloading stuff is not all that great IMHO. The dies are ok but all the other stuff they have is kind of cheesy to me. I like their crimp dies and the universal de-capping die is very good. But the presses and powder dispensers are all kind of cheesy. I know there are guys who would fight to the death for their Lee Classic turret Press but I think a Good Single Stage and a good progressive is the way to go. Pistol and shotgun on the progressives and Rifle on the Single stage. That is just me though.

I am sorry I cannot help you fix the Lyman T-Mag But I will say scrap the Priming on the press stuff and go to hand priming. Its not that time consuming and you get a better feel for the primer set.

Good luck with it....................Flame on
Old November 24, 2009, 04:25 PM   #3
azredhawk44

I've been hand-priming ever since I started reloading 8 years ago.

What drew me to try the Lyman turret was the temptation to get to 150 rounds per hour reloading speed.

With the single stage, I was lucky to get 50-60 rounds an hour. Doing it single stage, I tumble-clean the brass after firing, full length size and decap, then sit with my Lee Auto Prime and prime cases by hand. Then I come back to the press and flare the mouths, then throw powder with the Uniflow on my bench, then finally seat and crimp. Lots of steps with different tools and lots of mounting/unmounting the same case from the ram.

If I could have left the case in the ram and just rotated a tool head twice through the whole progression, I would have been happy.

I can handle single-stage loading for my rifle stuff. I'm okay with that. But the rate I'm using handgun ammo won't hold up to my production rate. Something's gotta give.

ETA: I think I'll try one more thing. I like how I have 6 holes in the press to retain die settings. That will at least save me some time. I'll forgo the priming capacity of this press entirely, simply using it as a fast way to get a die into play for each of the single stage steps. I'll still prime by hand, but when it comes to powder throw/mouth flaring, I'll progress immediately to the seat and crimp die. That should cut down on a little bit of time, at least. Get me up to ~100 rounds per hour with it for the calibers that aren't covered by my Dillon SDB and its rate of 300-400 rounds per hour.

Last edited by azredhawk44; November 24, 2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old November 24, 2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Sam06

For Pistol Re-loading a SBD is a good set up. The only down side is the dies are Proprietary to it. I was going to get one but got a real good deal on the 550 I have now. Its fast but the change from SP to LP sucks. I have been looking for a SBD to set up for just 9MM and leave it alone. I can load the 45ACP, 41 and 44 Mag on the 550. Everything else is on the T7, Co-ax or Arbor.

Have you seen the RCBS Hand Primer? It is VERY nice and makes our old Lees look like doodoo.

I think you have the right attitude with the T-mag. Just adapt and overcome I have heard guys say their Turret is as fast as a progressive; I say "show Me" I can get fast with it but I also get sloppy.

For a nice small Powder dispenser you can put on a turret look around for an old Hollywood Model. that is what I used on my turret when I was doing my loading that way. Like this one, I cannot believe I found one for sale:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=147544558

The old Herters ones work good also. You can screw then into the Turret and away you go........

Good luck with and I am surprised I have not had a Car bomb go off for knocking Lee stuff I am on DEFCON 1 waiting for it

Sam..
Old November 24, 2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Caboclo

Try the Lee turret; the priming system is the best part. Very basic and simple, but works great.
Old November 24, 2009, 06:14 PM   #6
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam06
Have you seen the RCBS Hand Primer? It is VERY nice and makes our old Lees look like doodoo.
I bought the RCBS Universal hand primer, and it was like going from a Chevy to a Cadillac! It's great!
Old November 24, 2009, 06:28 PM   #7
Christchild

AZRedHawk,

Hi, I'm Christchild, and I too, have a Lyman T-Mag II Turret Press....... (Christchild lights a candle.......passes it to AZRedHawk.........)

I've never used the priming system on mine. I use the Lyman Ram Prime Die. GREAT little Tool! After I bought the first one, I bought a 2nd one for a spare.
Old November 24, 2009, 09:09 PM   #8
The_Vigilante

Sigh... my turret setup sucks

I currently use a Lee Classic Single Stage press and Lee Safety Prime to deprime and prime my cases. Very nice system-simple and not finicky like the progressive press priming systems. After priming the case I then use a Lee Loadmaster progressive to complete the process.
Old November 24, 2009, 09:25 PM   #9
Thirties

folks, you should check out the Hornady Hand Primer.
Old November 24, 2009, 10:32 PM   #10
CrustyFN

Hawk I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. My pro auto disk doesn't leak with any powder, Titegroup is my mian powder. My safety prime on the classic turret is flawless, and has been for a few years.

Quote:
What drew me to try the Lyman turret was the temptation to get to 150 rounds per hour reloading speed.
Too bad you didn't see the Lee classic turret threads. Most of us with the CT load around 200 per hour. I have been reloading foe over three years with it and am very happy with the cheezy classic turret. LOL
Old November 24, 2009, 10:48 PM   #11
reloader28

For some reason I cant explain, I like priming on the press vs hand priming. I think the Lyman set-up is basically identical to RCBS primer system???? I'm sure you've already tried it, but did you adjust the arm mount up or down? I had to set my RCBS in a certain spot to eliminate any problems. It sounds like yours is to high maybe?
Old November 24, 2009, 11:57 PM   #12
azredhawk44

Quote:
I bought the RCBS Universal hand primer, and it was like going from a Chevy to a Cadillac! It's great!
I tried the RCBS hand primer. Hated it. That thing was a royal PITA to change primer types. Also, didn't like the angle of the leverage versus the position of the primer tray. The Lee tool is much better, despite needing different shell plates than the standard ones on presses.

But... what I really love, is the Lee Auto Prime II. That's my preferred priming method right now. I snap one of those Zamack handles on the Lee hand prime tool about every 2000 rounds and wind up getting my thumb cut open, so the Auto Prime II is better IMO since it mounts like a die in a single stage press. The lever and ram do the priming work.

My setup:

RockChucker does most of my work right now, the let-down Lyman Turret is currently dismounted and making room for the Dillon SDB, and on the far end is a little RCBS Partner Press with the Lee AutoPrime II more or less permanently attached and wearing my Uniflow powder measure as well.

This is a closer pic of the Partner press setup:

Old November 25, 2009, 11:47 AM   #13
wncchester

My first press was a Lyman Spar-T, a forerunner to yours. It was/is okay but, as with any conventional turret design, it has more "slop" in the head than I wanted for precision loading so eventually I bought a standard design single stage for rifle. Since then I only use the Spar-T for handgun. I've never been a large volume shooter so it's fine for my needs.

The only thing I ever REALLY LIKED about the old turret press was the very smooth working auto-primer feed system and it's brass tubes!
Old November 25, 2009, 02:19 PM   #14
HiBC

Something you might try,wih what you have

Setup your turret,the rockchucker,a powder measure and maybe your 3rd pess prime setup so you can run them all from the same stool.A mounting plate setup might be good,as you may want to easily spread the presses back out if a buddy helps.

I have my second press offset to the right a bit,and rotated clockwise a bit so the handle swings across in front of me as I pull it.

My bench is rather tall.

A powder measure is mounted between the presses.

I have those big bicycle hanging hooks screwed up from below on my bench,one right,one left .I use big liquid laundry soap jugs (well rinsed+dry)

Then I cut a large hole in the side,for my hand.These,I hang from the hooks,under the bench.

Left one is for brass,right one,finished rounds

Rifle,Left hand reaches down to hanging jug for brass,insert to left press,size,decap.I prime in press,but feed tube bench prime tool would work here.Then,I move my hand to the powder measure,visual the powder level,

put the case in the right hand single stage pess,pick up a bullet with my left hand,and seat it.

Now,you can get a lock and load conversion bushing for that Rockchucker.

Your seater dies can be in LnL bushings.

Carefully setup your headspace,etc in your turret,and leave them.

So.I want to load 50 30-06's,spin the turret,put in the shellholder from the diebox.
Lock-n-load the seater .You do have to setup the powder measure.,fill the primer tube,
Start loading.Quality check your product

Handgun,You say you have a Square Deal? need I say more?Hint,buy 1000 brass.Load it all.You have a Square Deal!!!

Last edited by HiBC; November 25, 2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old November 26, 2009, 08:12 PM   #15
3StrikesNC

A few years back I got in to the progressive press because Hornady was pushing their "new" Lock-N-Load AP press, and the free bullets they were offering "paid for" the press.

As I noted, this was my entry in to the progressive automatic type press. I have a few Rock Chuckers and had previously looked at both RCBS and Dillion.

I have to say I am VERY HAPPY with the Hornady unit. I use it for pistol bullets and it works great. Leaving the dies in the quick change bushings is a little costly at first, but it works and is easy. I would not use it for my riflle bullets, I like to individually weigh each load. But for pistols, this is great.

I highly recommend it.
Old November 26, 2009, 08:15 PM   #16
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

azredhawk44: You are freakishly clean. My jaw physically dropped when I saw the pictures of all that open, pristine space.

Dare I say it again? Yes, I dare. Freakish.
Old November 26, 2009, 08:49 PM   #17
under_dawg

Quote:
Does the Lee PAD leak when using disks for anyone else? How about the adjustable charge bar? Does it leak?
I'm sorry to hear about your leaking issues with the Pro Auto Disk. I have been using the one on my LCT for about 2 years with no problems. Is it possible the small plastic wiper is damaged? Is it leaking when you take the powder canister off or while operating?