The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 21, 2004, 04:51 PM   #1
SSGROCK

Folding Stock Question

Hello to all. I'm new to this forum and looking forward to learning from your advice and experiance.

I have an Interstate 12 gauge shotgun model 5805726 with 18" barrel that I bought for home protection. I would like to put a folding stock on it. I've searched several online site and can't find anything to match it. Everything seems to be for Mossberg, Remington, etc.

Can anyone tell me which of these most closely matches my shotgun? Or some place I might look to find a folding stock to match? Any help will be usefule. Thank you.
Old November 21, 2004, 06:43 PM   #2
SSGROCK

Correction

Sorry, it is actually an Interstate 982 12 gauge. Any help?
Old November 21, 2004, 07:50 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

I can't remember the Interstate model numbers, but these are shotguns actually made by Norinco in China and sold under several different brand names.

They offered two basic guns: one based on the Remington 870, and the other on the Ithaca Model 37.

If the gun feeds and ejects from the bottom of the receiver, it's an Ithaca "Clone".

Likely, its an 870 clone, and MANY, (not all) Remington parts will interchange.

PROBABLY, (NO guarantees) a folder built for an 870 will fit and work.
Old November 22, 2004, 11:25 PM   #4
cal

What fits the interstate. (Norinco copy)

Hi. I have a Norinco 98 which is a Remington 870 clone. Probably like your Interstate. I have been looking for a folder stock as well and found one from Knoxx indusrties that also reduces recoil. However! When I contacted them they said that they were pretty sure it wouldn't fit because of certain adapters that are required. I was also told they had no Norincos to try out their products on. Ok!

Other places, I think Advantage arms has a top folder that fits the Norinco 98 with the adapters but marketed to LE only. OK! So! By going around them to outlets that market their products I think you can get what you want but it may cost a little more money.

I presently follow several shotgun forums on different boards and am keeping an eye for a decent folder. For recoil reduction The Knoxx folder can't be beat. I have found Tom Morton co has a recoil reducer that goes in the magazine. This would allow me to get a Choate or Advantage folder, and not be too concerned about recoil. There are several tactical folder companies out there and I can usually find them thru different ads in the Gun magazines. If you find anything exciting lemme know
Old November 23, 2004, 01:35 AM   #5
mpi

i have a norinco "hawk 98" 870 clone that i got to use as a house gun for bedroom storage, and so my wife could use it as a backup for my tricked out [ very mildly] 870. i have mounted a side sadle and PG, and have tried several 870 accessories that all fit.
OTOH barrels don't interchange as the magazine mounting ring is sited further forward. i believwe this gives you one more round out of the box, but barrels and extended mags won't fit.
pat
Old November 23, 2004, 04:02 PM   #6
USMCsilver

Another thing that won't fit on the 870 copies is foregrips.

If you want to swap out -- say to a Speedfeed or Surefire fore end, then you'll need to get the whole "pump action" for a Remington and slide that onto your copy. Or, you can ream out the inside of the new fore end by about 1/32".

I've looked to replace the part with a Remington part, but it cannot be ordered from Brownells. I know that the swap will work because I took the pump assembly off my Remington 870 and stuck it on the Hawk copy and everything worked fine.

Also, with the stock, I hear that you have to get a new stock screw -- metric -- in order to do a stock conversion. However, I cannot confirm this.