The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 26, 2001, 07:00 PM   #1
dw

Need some info on a gun....

Just got this gun.....it was my grandfathers and he just passed away. It is a stevens Model 416 made in chicopee falls, mass. i has the heavy barrel on it. the barrel is marked with an x inside a circle. I am actually more interested in the scope. Any info you can give on the scope would be great. if you wiggle the scope it will go from left to right but then settle back into where it was before it also goes forward and backwards. i have included some pics of the gun and the scope and a pic of the symbol of the manufacturer on the scope. thanks guys

Pic of the gun itself
http://www.geocities.com/derek_workman/Dscn2597.jpg
Pic of the Scope manufacturer
http://www.geocities.com/derek_workman/Dscn2601.jpg
Pic Looking down the scope
http://www.geocities.com/derek_workman/Dscn2603.jpg

Thanks again
Old December 26, 2001, 10:11 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, dw,

That is some combination, a Unertl 16 power target scope on a Stevens 416. Nothing wrong with either the scope or the gun, but a little like a turbocharged V8 in a Ford Fiesta.

The action you describe is normal for a target telescope sight. All the adjustments are in the mount, unlike most hunting scopes which have internal adjustments. The scope mount allows the scope to stay still under recoil, so recoil does not bother it.

Every shot, the scope has to be pulled back so it will stay in zero.

The combination should be a good shooter, though I doubt the Stevens rifle will be capable of getting the best out of the scope.

Jim
Old December 27, 2001, 12:38 AM   #3
C.R.Sam

Darn.......pics won't come up. Jim's description makes it sound kinda neat.

Some of the 416s were made for the U.S. military for use as training rifles. They have "U.S.Property" on the rear of the bolt housing. Military ones often demand a healthy premium.

I think it would be a hoot to shoot in an "anysight" small bore match.

Sam
Old December 27, 2001, 09:29 AM   #4
dw

I figured out why you can't see the pics. You will have to copy the address and paste it at the top of your wed browser and it will pull up the pic. Geocities is the host and won't allow you to access it from another site. kinda weird but it is all i have. thanks again guys and gals
Old December 27, 2001, 02:47 PM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Wow! A John Unertl product!

When I looked at the first photo, I thought, "Humm--Looks like a first-class knockoff of the old Unertl target/varmint rig."

In the book Marine Sniper, about the exploits of the great Carlos Hathcock, the actions of pulling the Unertl scope to the rear after a shot, to re-set it, are described a couple of places.

This is a very distinguished, classic old rig. You should be proud of it, dw. Please, PLEASE, don't make any modifications to the outfit. If it doesn't suit you as it is, take it to a big gun show, or advertise it in Gun List, and sell it to a collector, so it may be properly appreciated.

Thanks for showing it to us.

Best,
Johnny
Old January 1, 2002, 09:19 PM   #6
dw

Well good news...i think......The gun is stamped "US Property". I shot it yesterday and it shot very well. I was wondering if you guys could give me a rough idea of what the gun was worth.
thanks
derek
Old January 2, 2002, 10:06 AM   #7
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Just FYI. Derek - - -

Your photos are no longer available at the links above--Apparently they take them down after a week or so.

Too bad--They were good images and I just wanted to take another look.

Best regards,
Johnny
Old January 2, 2002, 10:44 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

Johnny,

The pictures ARE available.

As someone mentioned, just copy the link, paste it into your navigaton window, and hit return.

I just viewed the pix.

Some people collect Unertl scopes, and are willing to pay pretty high prices for them.

The rifle I'd say is worth maybe $300, the scope could be worth a LOT more than that.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 2, 2002, 11:22 AM   #9
C.R.Sam

You have one of ten thousand made for the government. Cool rig indeed.

Sam