The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 18, 2014, 02:01 PM   #1
Bob Wright

Collectible bullet mold?

Many years ago I was at a gun show when I saw an acquaintence of mine. He beckoned me over and showed me a bullet mold he had just bought, and asked me if I knew anything about it.

I examined the mold, which had one slug cast in it. It was a six cavity mold, as I remember, made of nickel silver. Now nickel silver wouldn't be too practical as a bullet mold, as it transmits heat very quickly to the handles, being mostly a copper alloy. I looked at the slug cast in it, and found it to be rounded, conical, with no parallel bearing surface, no lubricating grooves, the slug being about .50 caliber or so.

"No," I told him, "couldn't be some type of armory mold. And no bearing surface?"

He broke into a grin. "Shows what a dumba** I am. Some old doctor came by and asked me 'Where'd you get the suppository mold?"

Yep, old time doctors cast their own glycerin suppositories.

Bob Wright
Old July 18, 2014, 02:38 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Bob -

These come up on eBay every once in a while. Over on Cast Boolits, not too long ago, someone posted about one wanting to know about the "bullet mold". Actually, a pharmacist responded with the answer and mentioned that they are still in use today by some pharmacists.

Hope your buddy didn't pay a whole lot unless he was starting a "drug store collection"!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 18, 2014, 03:34 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Suppository mold? Bwahahahahahahahaha.
Old July 18, 2014, 07:09 PM   #4
Pahoo

Time and place for everything !!

Quote:
suppositories.
Yes, my doctor once prescribed these for me and for all the good they did, I might just as well, shoved them up my back-side. ....

Be Safe !!!