The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 13, 2012, 11:15 PM   #1
azsixshooter

HB5225 Passes in MI!!

Requirement to beg cops for a permission slip to buy a handgun...GONE!
Tyrannical handgun registration...GONE!

I worked hard to help get this one passed! Thanks a million to the NRA and all members who helped with this. Thanks to the 74 yea voters in the Michigan House and thanks to God for everything!

Supposedly the cops have 6 months to destroy the registration records. We need to be sure that gets done and also keep getting friends and family signed up in the NRA. Next, we need CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY in Michigan!!

OoooooooRAH!
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old June 13, 2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations are in order!!
Old June 14, 2012, 06:26 AM   #3
noelf2

That is great news!
Old June 14, 2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

But this will just mean blood in the streets!

Bus loads of slaughtered nuns!

Cats cohabitating with dogs!

It's end times, I tell you!

UGH. I hate it when my inner gun banner comes out...

Congratulations, it's a great feeling, isn't it?

We recently made big headway in Virginia by getting rid of the "one gun a month" law that was instituted during the Wilder administration.

You know, in 1990-1994 when I was working for NRA and gun control seemed to be on the rise, I NEVER would have imagined that the tables would turn so thoroughly on both the state and national levels.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 14, 2012, 07:28 AM   #5
BGutzman

Oh my goodness Mike you have me rolling.... lol
Old June 14, 2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Willie Sutton

A hearty "Bravo Zulu" to all who assisted this.

I'd second the above notes. Twenty years ago the steamroller was running towards us all... now it seems that we are finally pushing it back into every corner. What a great thing.

Willie

Old June 14, 2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations!
Old June 14, 2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Technosavant

Congratulations... I remember when we finally got rid of that stupid permission slip law in MO.

The downside is that one's handgun purchases tend to rise sharply when the speed bumps are all gone. The busloads of nuns are probably safe, but your wallets are in grave danger.
Old June 14, 2012, 11:09 AM   #9
bikerbill

A round of applause!!
Old June 14, 2012, 12:16 PM   #10
Patriot86

Great job Michigan!
Send some people over here to Illinois , we need a hand getting concealed carry passed!
Old June 14, 2012, 12:29 PM   #11
firespec35

Is this just the house or is the senate version passed too? When is it going in front of the governor?

S&W 669
Old June 14, 2012, 11:41 PM   #12
jgcoastie

Looks like HB5225 has passed only the House at this point. Cross your fingers and call your Senators...

www.legislature.mi.gov
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old June 15, 2012, 12:09 AM   #13
JoshM75

Congrats - I also wonder if there are any State officials quietly pushing to end this meaningless paper chase and redirect resources to something more useful to the citizenry?
Old June 15, 2012, 10:11 PM   #14
azsixshooter

Sorry for the pre-mature celebration. I was under the impression it was locked in already. However, I believe it's a republican-controlled senate and that there isn't any anticipated resistance from the Governor. We'll see though, I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep calling and emailing my reps and encouraging everyone else to do so as well!

On a side note, I know a guy who was convicted of a felony 20 years ago. He had it expunged or something and got some state waiver that allowed him to get a CPL and buy handguns. Now he said he'll lose that permission since the system is going to federal requirements and they won't honor his agreement with the state or something.

On one hand I agree with him that it's better to give power to the states, but I think for most law-abiding citizens this is a big win. I'll be interested to see how this plays out for him. It seems odd that any law like this with the spirit of supporting gun rights would actually have the opposite effect for some.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
Old June 15, 2012, 10:38 PM   #15
jgcoastie

Well, there's a simple solution to make sure you don't lose your firearms rights because of a felony...

Wait for it...

Here it comes...

Don't do illegal things.

I know, weird concept for people in our society these days...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old June 16, 2012, 07:25 AM   #16
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I know, weird concept for people in our society these days.
I wouldn't say that. You'd be surprised what gets charged as a felony these days.
Old June 16, 2012, 01:59 PM   #17
azsixshooter

Not trying to start an argument about whether or not felons should be able to own guns, just pointing out what one guy's concerns were. There may be others on this site who could conceivably be in the same situation.

An another note, does anyone following this happen to know what the timeframe might be like before it becomes effective and stores start using the instant criminal background check as opposed to requiring a permission slip from the Michigan Statist Police?
Old June 16, 2012, 03:57 PM   #18
armoredman

I hope it passes the Senate and gets signed into law so you can rid yourselves of onerous and useless restrictions.
Old June 17, 2012, 11:32 AM   #19
jgcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
I wouldn't say that. You'd be surprised what gets charged as a felony these days.
No, I wouldn't. I know how ridiculous some things are in our legal system. However, no matter what you or I think of any particular law, until it is rescinded or replaced, it is still the law. Don't break it and you won't get charged. Don't get charged and you can't be convicted.

No matter what or how anyone tries to spin it, that is the truth.
Old June 17, 2012, 11:41 AM   #20
jgcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsixshooter
On a side note, I know a guy who was convicted of a felony 20 years ago. He had it expunged or something and got some state waiver that allowed him to get a CPL and buy handguns. Now he said he'll lose that permission since the system is going to federal requirements and they won't honor his agreement with the state or something.
I believe your acquaintance is mistaken.

Regardless of what the laws are in any given state, federal requirements ("prohibited person" and such) is unchanged. All federal firearms regulations are constant and equally applied to all states.

Regardless of what agreement your friend had with the state, in order to buy a gun from a dealer, he had to pass the NICS check. If he can pass the NICS check and buy guns before HB5225 becomes law, he'll be able to buy them after it becomes law.

The repeal of the handgun registration has zero bearing on your friend's circumstance, unless there is something in the bill that rescinds all agreements with felons who's RKBA has been restored.
Old June 17, 2012, 11:41 AM   #21
sonick808

even still, you'd be surprised how easily you can get caught up in a felony without intending to do ANYTHING even remotely against the law. We have the highest per capita amount of people incarcerated in the entire world. We are 5% of the world's population, and 24% of the jailed world population. Disparate indeed.

It's all too easy to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get dinged with a felony. No shortage of these stories.
Old June 17, 2012, 11:58 AM   #22
jgcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick808
It's all too easy to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get dinged with a felony.
I would say that constitutes an excuse...

I would challenge you to prove your theory. I find it hard to believe that multiple completely innocent people have been wrongfully convicted of felonies, having committed no crime themselves, only having been in the "wrong place at the wrong time".

No offense, but that sounds like hogwash to me.
Old June 17, 2012, 01:55 PM   #23
American Made

"I would challenge you to prove your theory. I find it hard to believe that multiple completely innocent people have been wrongfully convicted of felonies, having committed no crime themselves, only having been in the "wrong place at the wrong time".
---------------------------------------
I normally agree with you....but, sometimes people find themselves in hot water for things we take for granted. Whether it be family issues ( e,g .. family member that is on drugs and leaves stolen property in your garage, having a bad divorce and spouse makes untrue statements that equal loss of firearm rights, etc )

A misfire at shooting range:
US vs Olofson
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335832

Furthermore, just step foot in California with some evil looking rifle and you will see how easy they hand out those felony charges

Last edited by American Made; June 17, 2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old June 17, 2012, 02:30 PM   #24
Mike Irwin
Staff

What are we up to... couple hundred people nationally who have exonerated of serious offenses due to DNA evidence conclusively proving that they did not commit the crime for which they were convicted?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 17, 2012, 02:56 PM   #25
langenc

For Coastie and Tom-not exactly "hogwash"--from just below--

Massachusetts (the seat of the American Revolution!) is so unfriendly to any sort of self defense that it's also illegal to carry pepper spray without a permit. I used to visit a Jeeper friend in MA periodically to go junkyard hopping. I was expecting to be buying parts, so I was carrying cash, and I didn't have a MA CCW permit so I knew I couldn't carry a firearm. Like the people who get nailed in NYC for guns, I was naive enough to expect that pepper spray, being a purely defensive "weapon," was A-okay.

Then I happened to mention it in a discussion on a Jeep forum, and a Jeeper who is a (or was then) a police officer in MA chimed in and kindly informed me that I had committed a felony offense. I checked it out and, by golly, he was right.

The citizenry is NOT allowed to defend itself in Massachusetts. Interestingly, Massachusetts is one of the few states with a constitution that contains a RKBA clause but limits the RKBA only to the defense of the commonwealth.