The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 2, 2006, 11:00 AM   #26
riverrat66

I have at least 500 rds. of "range" ammo for each handgun and 50 rds. of "defensive" ammo for each one as well. I also have at least 1500 rds. for each of my assault rifles and hundreds of rds. of various shotgun ammo, not even counting ammo for my hunting rifles. Plus like Capt. Charlie, I too have loose rounds laying all over the house.

I always have my Kershaw folder in my pocket and at least one loaded handgun in my house nearby with extra magazines. Also an alarm system and two very large dogs!

I'm neither a sitting duck nor paranoid. I'm just prepared.
Life Member Harley Owners Group
Old May 2, 2006, 11:28 AM   #27
steelheart

Completely out of ammo?!?!?! That's crazy talk!!

If I were you, I would immediately go out and buy two boxes (100 rounds) of defense ammo for my handgun, price be damned. Waiting for sales is good for stocking up, but don't sit around and be defenseless in order to save $2 or $3 per box!!

Never let yourself be completely out of ammo - when you are, you are completely defenseless.
Old May 2, 2006, 11:44 AM   #28
Rangefinder

Quote:
Never let yourself be completely out of ammo - when you are, you are completely defenseless.
No offense steelheart, I'm just using the idea behind the statement.

If you REALLY feel you are defenseless in your home without a firearm, I would have to say it's time to branch out your experiences just a tad--it becomes a false sense of security at that point. I say "false" because there are countless ways beyond running out of ammo that might leave you without the use of a firearm within arm's reach at every second. Don't let yourself get tunnel vision--get creative and MAXIMIZE your options.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old May 2, 2006, 12:05 PM   #29
RoSAR1

I agree with range. If someone wants to kill you in your home, chances are there's little or nothing you can do about it unless you have an alarm with a sensor on every window and door that's set at the time they try to come inside. I say this because unless you have a loaded gun taped to your hand 24 hours a day there's no way to be prepared for a sudden attack.

All of us are very prepared, but chances are in the summer time a person could come in through an open window and shoot you dead with little or no time to react if they really wanted to. Hell, if someone really wants you dead they could just hide outside your house and shoot you as soon as you come out, there's no way to prevent attacks like this. We can only prepare for situations that will give us time to react, such as an alarm going off, hearing a window break or door break etc...
Old May 2, 2006, 12:05 PM   #30
Duxman

Captain Insano!!!

Heresy to say the least.

Running out of ammo should not be an option. Just remember bad things happen to unprepared folks. It is typically when you let your guard down or run completely out of ammo that SHFT.

So let this be a lesson to you. Use the internet. Go to Wally world. Go to the local gunrange and pay extra. But never run out of ammo.

Or at the very least - buy a tactical baton.
Old May 2, 2006, 12:08 PM   #31
OuTcAsT

For my handguns I keep a minimum of 100 rounds for each caliber, couple hundred shotshells for my 12ga.

For my hunting weapons I keep 100 rounds for each caliber.

For my AR and Mini 14 I keep 2000 rounds of 5.56

And ALL my weapons are loaded, Like Capt. Charlie I have weapons at various locations within my home, my Son and Daughter have trigger time on all weapons, and we have developed some home defense strategy.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old May 2, 2006, 12:42 PM   #32
Moloch

Quote:
Is this paranoid?
No. That feeling started after my first week of gun owning. I would describe it a ''naked feeling''. I also feel very ''naked'' without any ready HD gun in my
house.
Old May 2, 2006, 09:39 PM   #33
riverrat66

It's time to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoSAR1
If someone wants to kill you in your home, chances are there's little or nothing you can do about it unless you have an alarm with a sensor on every window and door that's set at the time they try to come inside. I say this because unless you have a loaded gun taped to your hand 24 hours a day there's no way to be prepared for a sudden attack.
All of us are very prepared, but chances are in the summer time a person could come in through an open window and shoot you dead with little or no time to react if they really wanted to. Hell, if someone really wants you dead they could just hide outside your house and shoot you as soon as you come out, there's no way to prevent attacks like this. We can only prepare for situations that will give us time to react, such as an alarm going off, hearing a window break or door break etc...
Wow, why even bother owning a firearm then? If someone wants to kill you that bad I've got three suggestions:

1) You should kill them first.
2) You should be in the witness protection program.
3) You should just run away and leave the country.

Worrying about getting ambushed as you leave your house? Now that's paranoid!
Life Member Harley Owners Group
Old May 2, 2006, 09:45 PM   #34
Hardtarget

I think Hemicuda has it right. Rotate your stock...maintain your "stock". Buy new as you shoot the older ammo. Every so often purchase a double...so you can have an increase. It'll bring a smile to your face when you look at all those rows of boxed ammo.
Mark.
Old May 2, 2006, 10:06 PM   #35
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
I agree with range. If someone wants to kill you in your home, chances are there's little or nothing you can do about it unless you have an alarm with a sensor on every window and door that's set at the time they try to come inside. I say this because unless you have a loaded gun taped to your hand 24 hours a day there's no way to be prepared for a sudden attack.
Not really. All you need is a decent security door and block glass or polycarbonate windows. Not expensive stuff really and no one will be getting in your house without a bit of warning to you. A good fence and a dog will put you even further ahead in the game, as would an attached garage.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old May 3, 2006, 12:50 PM   #36
Superhornet

Quack-Quauk, ammos cheap and there are those who think that your life is cheap...they will shoot you for the jacket or shoes your are wearing....IMHO