The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 11, 2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Slugo

Browning 725 Sporting...

I think the time has come for me to bite the bullet. Shot two rounds with a demo last week. Used the 32" model and knocked down clays with ease. The swing dynamics are head and shoulders over previous 12 gauge Citoris. The gun is a huge improvement, feels like a Beretta DT-10 IMHO...
Old June 12, 2012, 10:39 AM   #2
BigJimP

Other than the mechanical trigger on the 725 sporting ...I don't personally think there is any difference between it and the 625 series / or the 525 series to speak of....

The 725 series ...like its predecessors ( 625, 525, 425, etc ) ....all have "field" combs ...with a fair amount of drop at the comb and heel...making them a non-parallel combed gun ...( even with an adj comb ) ...the angle of the comb does not change to parallel ...the adj comb is cut to the same angle as the base comb ---- and the amount of drop at comb and heel on this series of the Citori ...makes "Fit" an issue for a lot of shooters.

None of them will "Fit" me ...and I had a 525 series ..and the face bruises to show it. ....and I shot a demo gun, before I bought it ...and was enamored with the engraving, the general look of the 525 ...at the time, the first production series Browning with a lot of engraving on it .../ but when I actually had it in my hands...and took it to competition ...it was a big mistake. When I got rid of the 525 / bought a few of the Citori XS Skeet models ...and really got my "Fit" down ...I actually started winning a few tournaments...

I'm not saying you shouldn't be seduced by the 725 series...it may be a great gun for you ...just be cautious. I will continue to say ...that a parallel comb gun ...will "Fit" 99.9% of the shooters out there...like the Citori XS Special or the Citori XS Skeet ...and while you have a lot of experience, and are qualified to pick a gun that "Fits" ....many, many shooters can't do that....

Just be cautious ....shooting 25 rds with a demo gun is one thing...but shooting 400 shells a week for practice is something else.../ but I hope it works out for you !
Old June 12, 2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Slugo

Jim, there's allot of difference. The balance is much-much better than any previous standard Citori. It feels totally different, almost as nimble as a 20 gauge gun. It will replace my two existing 12's, without even looking back. One of them is sold already...

PS: I had the demo over a two day period...

Last edited by Slugo; June 12, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old June 12, 2012, 02:33 PM   #4
BigJimP

balances better than "any Citori" ......wow, man, that is a lot of different models of the Citori .....BT 100's, BT 99's, XT-Trap's, XS Skeet's, XS Special ......625's, 525's ....the Lightning models / ....

now I will agree the 625's, etc are better balanced than the standard Lightning model citori's ...but then the XS Skeet model Citori is better balanced than the Citori Lightning models too...

I'm a big Browning Citori fan ( and have well over a dozen of them as you well know ) ....but I just hope you're not looking at this gun thru rose colored glasses....( buying a new gun is always fun / and its fun to have something that not everyone else has ) ...have fun with the process man !!
Old June 12, 2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Slugo

no rose colored glasses at all. The 725 is that much better, seriously. Put it another way, if Browning hadn't come out with a retooled 12 gauge target gun, I was going straight to Beretta. Prior to the new 725, the prior 12 bores were antiquated, simply out of date...
Old June 12, 2012, 04:01 PM   #6
oneounceload

SO, what happened to the 20 gauge for everything mantra?
Old June 12, 2012, 04:16 PM   #7
BigJimP

We're having a little fun at Slugo's expense here....but seriously, when was the last time Slugo saw a new gun / or a different gun ..not even new !! ...and didn't like it .....

But as I recall, Just in the last month or so ...Slugo has spoke "with at least some serious infatuation" ... over..:

a... 20 ga O/U's / he was selling all of his 12 GA's...
b..... Benelli super sports...
c. ...a variety of Beretta semi-autos...
d. ...a variety of Beretta O/U's...
e. ...and now the Browning Citori 725 series....

geez, and I thought I had an attention span problem....
( besides you can't go from Beretta's to a Browning - without washing the stink off your hands first man ...) ...so just stay in the Citori family ...and you'll be ok ...at least until the next shiny ball bounces down the road...
( not that we aren't alike / I'm just saying ...)...

never let it be said, I implied a man didn't need a new shotgun !!!
Old June 12, 2012, 04:33 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

Slugo, did the 725 you shot have an adjustable comb? The only one I saw on Browning's site has one. When I got the XS Skeet, I waited a while for the 725's introduction but went with the XS when it didn't appear that Browning was coming out with a 725 with a parallel stock. I say go for it if you want it.

As for it being more "nimble", comparing it with an XS Special with adjustable comb the 725 is almost a pound lighter. Some want the extra weight, some do not. I am guessing the weight differential has something to do with why it handles for you like a 20.

As for the grouch picking on you, he wouldn't do it if he didn't like you.
Old June 12, 2012, 08:28 PM   #9
Slugo

Hehehe! You know I love you clowns!!

My go to guns right now are two 20 gauge Citoris. I just sold my 12 gauge Lightning Sporting Clays this week. That leaves me with my 1992 B325 12 gauge which I'll most likely keep, just because. After shooting the B725 I know now I still need to have an effective 12 bore around. Seriously, it feels like a 20 in the handeling department.

Big Jim is still my idol...
Old June 13, 2012, 11:05 AM   #10
oneounceload

Quote:
Seriously, it feels like a 20 in the handeling department.
I am having the same fun with my wife's A400 Xplor - got the shims where I think they need to be for me (being a tall LH) - yet it is at least a pound lighter than my O/U and handles my 7/8 and even 3/4oz 12 gauge reloads - not bad for a 3.5" chambered gun - it swings like my 20 Browning XS Ultra
Old June 13, 2012, 12:36 PM   #11
BigJimP

a grouch....an idol ....

...oh sure, next you guys will be wanting to borrow money ....??? / or a gun, which would be worse..../....
Old June 13, 2012, 03:28 PM   #12
Slugo

1ozL, here's one I enjoy shooting! 7 pounds even...

Old June 13, 2012, 09:48 PM   #13
TheKlawMan

Quote:
a grouch....an idol ....

...oh sure, next you guys will be wanting to borrow money ....??? / or a gun, which would be worse..../....
no women?
Old November 13, 2013, 03:54 PM   #14
Fletch5599

Browning 725 vs 625 vs XS Skeet

Lets re-energize this threat for a moment.

I started shooting sporting clays a year ago in an effort to increase my success with chucker hunting. I hunt with a Benelli Montefeltro 20 Guage and do pretty well with it. Been shooting the clays with it as well.

Decided I needed to get an O/U gun for clays. Narrowed it down to the 525 / 625 / 725 / SX Skeet. A friend HIGHLY recommends a gun that weighs at least 8.5 pounds. The skeet gun comes the closest, followed by the 625. The new 725 is way short of that mark.

I'm having a difficult time locating an acceptable 625 or SX Skeet. Lots of 725's available.

Question: Is the additional 3/4 to 1 pound of weight that important? I'm 6 foot 1 inch and 205 pounds. Shot a 625 about 25 times, and never even noticed the recoil. Can't find anyone in the Boise valley who owns a 725.

Any advice???
Old November 13, 2013, 07:36 PM   #15
BigD_in_FL

For target shooting? Absolutely. If the gun fits and is properly balanced to your needs (mine is slightly muzzle heavy), the added weight does several things - smoothes out your swing to keep it from being whippy where you swing past and then stop the gun(a VERY common scenario with light guns like Benellis); it also soaks up a lot more recoil which is important when you are shooting 100+ rounds in two hours or so. Recoil fatigue, even if pain is not immediately present, can have a very detrimental effect towards the end of a shoot
Old November 13, 2013, 08:03 PM   #16
Dreaming100Straight

All I know is that a guy at the range last week was going on about how my XS Skeet's weight is perfect for absorbing recoil, and then this gunsmith AAA shooter is telling me the other day that the gun is to heavy and I should have a single barrel for trap. He had a used single barrel for sale it turns out. I wonder if that had anything to do with his evaluation.

I am only 5'8" and the gun may possible be a bit heavy for me (I am 66 and never have had a lot of upper body strength), but it should be a piece of cake for you at 6'1"

I got my XS Skeet this time of year in 2011 and it indeed was impossible to locate one - even on the internet. I ended up calling Browning and got a tip from a guy. It seeks that they were keeping inventory low to avoid inventory tax at the end of the year, but he told me that a shipment was at sea with 10 XS Skeets with 30" barrels, of which 7 were presold. He told me to call a Browning dealer and put an order in for one. I got Bass Pro to order me one and got the gun just so happened to arrive on the first day that it cleared our state's 20 day waiting period. You may want to just order one.

If they make it and I think they may, you may even want to go with 32" barrels. It is available in the XS Special which I know nothing about but it looks similar to the XS Skeet.

Before buying I rented one from one of the large local clubs.
Old November 14, 2013, 08:45 AM   #17
Slugo

I've owned a slew of Browning Citori shotguns, and I can say the new 725 is my absolute favorite. Attributes such as mechanical triggers, lighter barrels, DS choke tubes, reduced weight, better balance and a low profile receiver allows it to stand above every *25 series 12 gauge Browning ever produced. Now, the 20 gauge Citoris are mighty sweet guns, also!!

you can see how Browning shaved some size off the gun. It sits below my 20 gauge White Lightning...

Old November 14, 2013, 12:22 PM   #18
BigJimP

I'm only 63 ....and 6'5" and about 290 lbs....so what's a relatively light field gun for me - isn't right for everybody ... ( and I like a Citori XS Skeet, with 30" barrels, as an all around clay target gun - and for upland birds)....and 8.25 - 8.5 lbs is just about right for me, with the 30" barrels.

But the comparison between the XS Skeet and the ( 525, 625, 725 series ) is an apples to oranges comparison....part of it is weight / but the XS Skeet has a parallel comb ....and none of the others do ! That affects "Fit" big time ....

Now chasing Chukars around is a little different...and my knees and back aren't going to let me do that --- / but I'd want a really light gun chasing up and down those sage brush hills - and personally, the gun in my safe, I'd go after would be a Benelli Super Sport in a 20ga, with 28" barrel and right at 6 lbs...

but that 6 lb gun is not optimal for sporting clays...it will work ( and that's what Benelli designed it for ) or their 12ga version, with 30" barrel that weights right at 7 lbs.../ and when I travel, I do take the Benelli Super Sport in 12ga - one gun, that does a lot of things well....vs more expensive and heavier Over Unders...

But some combination of weight and length...are what makes the swing dynamics and the follow thru - on a shotgun different. For an all around clays gun ( sporting, 5 stand and Skeet I like that gun ( O/U ) with 30" barrels and around 8.5 lbs....) for Trap, I go to an O/U with 32" barrels at around 10 lbs...../ back to the Benelli Super sport 30", 12ga, 7 lbs....I put about 8 oz of lead golf club tape under the foreend ...and about 8oz of lead tape inside the stock ...to get the weight up on the gun ...so its less whippy and follows thru better for me...
--------
pros and cons of parallel combs....parallel comb means no matter if you shoot in T shirt in summer --- or heavy coat and sweater in winter....then you face may move up and back on comb -- but your point of impact will not change. On any angled comb gun ...if you move up or back even 1/4" ...the muzzle moves up or down ...and at 25yds or 40 yds .....that changes your point of impact big time !

Some guys get an angled comb figured out ...by wearing a 12 month "outfit" ....where they essentially shoot in the same windbreaker all year long - with high tech under armor or whatever in winter../and T shirt in summer.../ but not all climates allow that..../ but if you only shoot sporting in the Fall and then hunt in the Fall, maybe its no big deal --- get the gun fit and you're ok. But when its over 100 degrees and humid in summer ....vs 42 and rain in winter.....or snow and 22 ..../ I need a coat on ! ( not that I don't have enough body fat to live thru it ... )...but parallel comb guns, for me, just work better - and with the adjustable comb will "Fit" 99.9% of the shooters out there....
Old November 14, 2013, 06:15 PM   #19
Slugo

good information and observations, Jim. For me, I'm 6' and weigh in at 215. I've owned one parallel-comb gun and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. They don't work for me, at all. We're all different, though...