The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 2, 2010, 07:43 AM   #26
BfloBill

Not many Pheasant here anymore but I remember as a kid all my dad used on them was 28 ga or 20 ga, he finally got what he considered the perfect gun for pheasant and grouse- Ruger Red Label O/U 20 ga.

As far as fit goes I'm about 5'5" and under 140 lbs. and that O/U handles great for me, I don't know what your budget is but get to a store and handle a bunch of guns. You may find a better fit that is not a youth model.

By the way, he also had a Red Label in 12 ga, he liked the 20 better.
Old September 2, 2010, 08:40 AM   #27
xx78

I started out using a SxS 20ga when I was a kid. It killed quite a few birds with no problem. Since your shooting at a pheasant farm more than likely the shots will not be too far and any good 2 3/4 pheasant load should work well.
Old September 2, 2010, 08:54 AM   #28
Rifleman1776

Can't advise. I always considered pheasants a pretty tough bird.
You got me reminiscing, as a kid I hunted every day it was legal.
I used a J.C. Higgins SXS 12 ga. and Federal 2 3/4" with # 5 1/2 shot. I bought my shells only several at a time as I could afford them. Hated Federal as it really dirtied up the barrels. To this day I have an aversion to Federal ammo even though I know it bears no resemblance to 50 or 60 years ago.