The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 31, 2000, 02:14 AM   #1
BloodHawk

i have to write a paper about the effect of HK on the weapons industry, i have found plenty on the guns and all. What i need is some history on the compnay and the guys behind it all, Heckler and Koch. Also i need some info on the G11, any help is appreciated.
Old March 31, 2000, 06:59 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Blood Hawk:
My records indicate that:
Heckler & Koch of Oberndor/Neckar, Germany
At the end of WWII the French dismantled the Mauser factory as part of their reparations; and the buildings remained idle until 1949, when firearms production was again allowed in Germany. Heckler & Koch was formed as a machine tool enterprise and occupied the vacant Mauser plant. In the early 1950's Edmund Heckler and Theodor Koch began to produce the G3 automatic rifle based on the Spanish CETME design and progressed to machine guns and submachine guns, eventually to the production of commercial civilian rifles and pistols. In 1990 the company got into financial difficulties because of a failed contract bic. In December of 1990 the French state consortium GIAT announced the purchase of Heckler and Koch, but a little more than a year later the contract was canceled. Later in 1991 the company was purchased by Royal Ordance of Britain.

HJN
Old March 31, 2000, 10:07 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Project 39 by James. Besides drawing heavily from H&K armorer's course and smg operator course, the book has some history of H&K that I haven't found elsewhere. Unfortunately, while the book is OK, it's not what one would expect had it come from Collector Grade Publications (the folks who put out Gas Trap Garand, Death from Above, The Black Rifle).