The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 11, 2014, 10:46 AM   #1
mxsailor803

Henry owners

Alright guys, I just picked up a GB in .44mag last night and I'm thinking about installing a Skinner receiver sight. I've also considered something that glows, Williams, as I might get a wild hair to take this thing deer hunting. Do any of you have any other suggestions/opinions on open sights?
Old September 11, 2014, 08:35 PM   #2
steveNChunter

I put this sight on my dad's Henry 30-30 (brass receiver/octagon barrel), and he and I both agreed it was a big step up from the factory sights.

Not sure whether or not this exact sight will fit your Big Boy, but if not I'd say Williams makes one to fit it. Make sure you get one of their better models that have the "click" micrometer adjustments, the cheaper ones just slide and lock.

If you don't care to spend a little more money, Skinner makes some great sights that blend well with the look of the Henrys.

http://www.skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html
Old September 13, 2014, 07:34 AM   #3
Ted D

I put a pro staff scope on my GB .44 mag only because my eyes are older now. It is a good Deer Rifle. I use in Indiana Gun Season.
Old September 15, 2014, 09:57 AM   #4
mxsailor803

For this rifle, I intend to keep open sights on it. A lot of my rifles already have a optic of some sorts on it. This one is just not going to have one. Figured once my loads are sorted out, and I get the trigger time on it, my furthest shot would be 75-80 yds. Thats kinda why I wanta stick to open sights on this one.