The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 5, 2005, 10:50 AM   #1
shamus005

Shorten the barrel?

I have a 20 gauge pump shotgun with a 28" barrel. I was contemplating cutting the barrel down to 20" for home defense purposes since a 28" barrrel is a bit awkward to maneuver in the home. As far as shootablility goes, is this a good idea? Will perfomace and accuracy change very much? I'm a handgun guy who recently got into shotguns so I'm still getting over the learning curve.
Old November 5, 2005, 11:04 AM   #2
grey_pilgrim

The short answer is that you can, but you probably wouldn't want to. You could probably cut it down with no noticeable ill affects, but there would be some. For example, you'd have a shorter sight radius, and different swinging properties, which would come in play at clay games and hunting.

THe other thing is that if you cut down the barrel, you might wind up doing something to it that WOULD affect accuracy, such as bending it, etc. Shotgun barrels are made to be easily swappable, so for the price of having someone work on the shotgun and do the job right, you could just get a 20'' or 18'' barrel for your shotgun, and they you'd have two barrels, one for SD, and one for other stuff. IN addition, you would then have a cylinder choked SG, which is fine for close range defense (IMHO) and slugs, but might be a little difficult at longer ranges, IE, duck hunting or trap shooting.

Think about it this way: if you bought a used glock 20 from someone with a 6", kkm barrel, would you cut it down to 5 inches, or buy another barrel for SD, saving the 6 incher for hunting? (Analogy coming from someone who knows almost nothing about pistols.)

EDIT: what model shotgun do you have?
Old November 5, 2005, 11:51 AM   #3
LHB1

If you cut 8 inches off a shotgun barrel, you will lose ALL choke. That is OK for a self defense shotgun to be used at close range but it will be almost useless for hunting, skeet, etc. Even a so-called Cylinder choke in shotgun actually has some small amount of choke (~.005 constriction I think). Two barrels sounds like a better idea to me.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old November 5, 2005, 12:04 PM   #4
KE4YYD

Cutting the barrel will not significantly impact your gun in performance for home defense needs. It will not affect accuracy and it will shoot just fine. You will have a cylinder bore chore which is fine for HD, bird shooting and skeet. I have been shooting 22 inch barrels in my guns for 55+ years and like the quick pointing abilities. I shoot skeet and find the cylinder bore choke is fine with the 20 and 12 gauge guns. Use #9 shot for skeet and bird hunting. I use a turkey choke for turkeys and the short barrel works fine. I even shoot trap often with the 22 inch barrel with a modified choke.

Bottom line, if you want the short barrel then cut it or have it done.
Old November 5, 2005, 04:41 PM   #5
shamus005

I've decided not to shortern the barrel for 2 reasons:

1. I don't want to mess up the weapon.

2. In case I have to use the gun for defense, I don't want some prosecutor saying that I "sawed off the gun" to create some sort of "viscous man-killing assult weapon". Altering the gun just seems to invite legal troubles.