The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 17, 2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Chet Punisher

Looking for a facotry load for my .223 SPS

Hi guys,
I'm looking for what shoots the best for my SPS. I usually use HSM, but am open to another maker. What gave you the best results. I know stores are all out of most ammo, so I just want to know what you have used so I can look for it later. Thanks.
Old January 17, 2013, 09:36 PM   #2
jaysouth

Good luck on finding ANY .223 ammo.
Old January 17, 2013, 09:47 PM   #3
ThomasT

I have always had good results with Remington green box centerfire ammo. No matter if it was 243, 30-30, 30-06 or 7x57 the stuff always shot very well. I have to work to get 243 handloads to match the accuracy I get using factory ammo.

But like Jay said, good luck finding any 223 ammo.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:29 PM   #4
NWPilgrim

I found that PMC ammo shoots more accurately for me than bulk ammo from Federal or Remington.
Old January 18, 2013, 12:41 AM   #5
bacardisteve

Honestly the only way to find what your rifle likes is to try a multiple of loads through it and begin eliminating what doesnt shoot well in it. No two rifles are alike...case in point I have two identical rem 700p in 308 one favors 168gr hornady amax while the other like 180gr accubond
Old January 18, 2013, 11:45 PM   #6
2ndtimer

I agree that the only way to truly determine the best ammo for a rifle, whether it be factory or handload, is to try it and see. Each rifle is an individual, and to wring the best performance, requires testing. The main reason that handloads are preferred is that they can be loaded exactly the same once you find the optimum load. With factory ammo, you can see major differences between lot nos. My favorite factory loads for my Remington 700 SPS Varmint are the Fiocchi Extrema 40 gr V-Max load, and the Federal American Eagle Tipped Varmint 50 gr load. They perform well in both my SPS and my Weatherby Varmint Special, as well as my S&W M&P 15.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:16 AM   #7
Metal god

There is one important factor you must consider and that is barrel twist .

1-10 to 1-12 60-ish gr and lower

1-9 to 1-7 50gr and higher

The next thing I'd ask is what kind of accuracy are you wanting and what is your budget ?

Federal gold metal match is great ammo and cost .80c to $1.20 a shot . I would get at least one box of this stuff and see what your rifle can do . You then can try other brands that are cheaper and you will have an idea what kind of accuracy your rifle is capable of to compare the cheaper stuff too.
http://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-319...mmunition.aspx

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .