The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 27, 2007, 03:20 PM   #176
Groundhog

Quote:
I wonder, if by Texas law, the potential for arson really gives me the legal right to fire.
I think the law is clear.

Quote:
PC ยง9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is
justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible,
movable property:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary,
robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal
mischief during the nighttime
What might not be so clear to a jury or a grand jury would probably depend highly on the situation. If you have a clearly justifiable shoot, at least in free America, you have a fair chance of not getting arrested and/or the DA not even prosecuting.

Now, what's a justifiable shoot? Every situation is different. If you happen along and see some guy pouring gas all over the side of an appartment complex that's inhabited by lots of folks including kids and you see him attempt to light it? Well, that's probably pretty easy to see. Even then, you'd better be sure. Blow away said arsonist and then find out it was a neighborhood kid shooting a film who was using water and not gas and you didn't see the camera man, well, the situation becomes very different. In this dog thing, it's a good defense but all that would be haggled about after you had shot. I still wouldn't want my fate before a jury on a case like that!

"Remember, a valid point never overrules a family tradition." - Me
Old June 27, 2007, 06:25 PM   #177
DougO83

Quote:
Unless he makes a direct threat towards you with a weapon all you can do is call 911. You have zero justification to draw a weapon.
If I have a reasonable fear that my life is in danger. Not if he has a weapon directed at me. As I run this scenario through my head, someone about to toast a pooch is pretty much off his or her rocker. I am not going to let them approach me much closer than earshot before my hand goes to the CCW. Besides, the wonder of our permits is the ability to carry CONCEALED so how do I know the sicko is unarmed (anyone can physically carry a handgun, licensed or not)?? If he advances, he drops. No question.

Also, Texas law clearly states (I just learned this) that I can shoot him on the premise of preventing arson.

Matt 6:33
Old June 27, 2007, 06:27 PM   #178
DougO83

Additionally, I am not making this about a dog's life being more valuable than a human's. I have seen some pretty sorry proceedings in courtrooms in my short lifetime. So, who is to say that this sicko might escalate to torching people once he gets bored with poor little animals? Not saying it would happen, but alot of violent criminals seem to escalate their violence as it gets old.

Matt 6:33
Old June 27, 2007, 10:50 PM   #179
BamaXD

This does happen, here in Alabama its happened:

http://www.nbc13.com/gulfcoastwest/v...6-27-0022.html
Old June 28, 2007, 10:41 AM   #180
45Marlin carbine

Wow, tough question but I'm assuming the sicko is not on his own land, so morality demands some action, I think I would just yell and curse at the guy in hopes he would stop if not probably I would shoot to kill the dog as an act of mercy and hope that provoked the sicko to come after me next! If he had a weapon or more gas I definitely would put a Makarov round into him. If no weapon I would use my considerable pugilistic skills to beat the s*&t out of him!
Old June 30, 2007, 01:47 AM   #181
nbk2000

What would Freud say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
BTW - nbk - you are being TOO Freudian or is it projection on your part? Crypto-sociopaths and phallus - geez.
Projection, eh? What part of me would be projecting?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Freud.jpg (100.4 KB, 37 views)
Old June 30, 2007, 11:51 AM   #182
fixboot

Its like the energizer bunny.........it keeps going.....and going....and going.....and going.........

Nothing is more satisfying than a brick of .22, a few empty soda cans and all day to shoot at them..........nothing other than......Hmm...maybe my AK-47 and a bag of apples? DAMMIT who has 7.62x39 on sale right now?
Old June 30, 2007, 12:01 PM   #183
Groundhog

nbk2000...

I'll be purchasing a new keyboard now after spewing coffee all over the old one! ROFLMAO

"Remember, a valid point never overrules a family tradition." - Me
Old June 30, 2007, 12:21 PM   #184
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Its like the energizer bunny.........it keeps going.....and going....and going.....and going.........
.....and gone.

Phallic symbols? Glenn, I hope you gleaned the information you needed. There's enough here for several dissertations .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread