The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 1, 2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Went prairie doggin today in the freekin wind

Nice day other than the doggon wind. Blew until about 2:30. But the little town hadn't been shot much and the young were out and about. Have developed a load for 204 Ruger using Hornady 24 gr. NTX over 748. Man, those things just flat tear a sod poodle apart! Several big chunks flying in different directions. Very impressive.

The 204 is beginning to grow on me. Had some issues but seems like those are fixed and confidence is getting stronger every time it goes bang. Made a couple of shots to end the shooting that were well over 200 yards. Gave myself a high five!

Fun day! A guy needs fun days, lots of em.
Old June 1, 2012, 11:04 PM   #2
BIGR

Sounds like alot of fun...
Old June 2, 2012, 03:42 PM   #3
rickyrick

Man I bet those 24gr are impressive.
Old June 2, 2012, 06:23 PM   #4
huntinaz

I just found a field with prairie dogs the other day. I've never done it, I figure I should try it out.
Old June 3, 2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Colorado Redneck

I highly recommend that you do give it a go, huntinaz. You can use about anything short of a 300 Mag. Getting a day outside in the country with guns, heck, it is too good to pass up. Make sure you get the land owner's permission, or if it is public land get really familiar with the regulations for your particular state. Enjoy!
Old June 3, 2012, 05:50 PM   #6
huntinaz

It's public land, a road runs thru it though so I'm gonna have to deal with that. May be able to set up parallel. You can see cars coming from a long way so it would be safe to shoot across the road, but it's still illegal. There are adjacent open areas that should hold them too. I'll most likely use a 243 or 223. Maybe the 270 WSM once in awhile. We'll have to see.
Old June 4, 2012, 08:30 PM   #7
10-96

Quote:
I'll most likely use a 243 or 223.
Haul both out! If you've got some long range glass available for them- that's even better. After you shoot at them a while, they eventually put two and two together and come up with "Hmm, Loud noise + Esplodin friends = Time to stay in the hole". After you warm up your .223 they'll stay hunkered down at closer ranges and you'll want to stretch out your shots further. Another tip is to never fire all your ammo at the pasture poodles. When you wrap things up- back off the p-dog town and wait to see if any yotes show up for a free happy meal.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.