The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 30, 2010, 10:42 PM   #1
mardy

High Standard Sport King 1953-1954

I have a High Standard Sport King, calibur 22 long rifle, serial number 364573. The info I found at High Standard dates it no later than 1954. He said it was used in competition 22 firing and was the only one to win the Olympics. I know nothing about guns. It is my mother's who is 74 and she doesn't remember where she got it but there was a Police Chief and military in the family tree. The gun is in excellent condition. I have taken it apart and put it back together so it's not jammed.

She would like to sell it but have no idea how much or whom to sell to.

Any ideas? Thank you for any help or history on the gun.
Old July 31, 2010, 07:58 AM   #2
mapsjanhere

Check it out on Gunbroker. Looks like the asking prices are around $200, with higher price auctions not getting bids.
Old August 1, 2010, 12:21 AM   #3
Steven Mace

mardy, take a look at the links below. I believe your Sport King was made in 1952. I tend to doubt the Sport King version was used in competition. There was the Supermatic & Olympic models which included barrel weights for competition use.

http://www.histandard.info/models/pi...ever-name.html
http://www.histandard.info/datapubli...pserialno.html

Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old August 1, 2010, 06:27 AM   #4
darkgael

H-S

The Sport King series was High Standard's low end offering. While the gun could have been used in competition, there were a number of more suitable "competition ready" H-S offerings.
Olympic Competitions - there are two for .22 handguns - Rapid Fire and Free Pistol; I believe that was the case in the Olympics of the 1950s also. Until recently, the Rapid Fire event was a ".22 Short Only" event. I don't believe that the Sport King was available as a .22 Short.
It would have been completely unsuitable for the Free Pistol event.
All that being said, they are quite shootable guns and there is a demand for specimens in good condition.
Pete
Old August 2, 2010, 12:59 PM   #5
Gbro

I have one and would love another one. I paid $300 for mine a couple years ago. Can you post a couple of pictures, and a picture of the magazine.
The magazine would have to be original or at least period correct for it as there are many magazines for sale that do not work well in those guns even though though the package lists them for your pistol. I have 6 magazines but actually only have one that is flawless. It is a stainless steel mag that came with my pistol.
Old August 4, 2010, 09:21 AM   #6
velocette

I have one also. I paid $250.00 essentially new in box for it three years ago. Its a great shooter and very comfortable in my hand. I don't think it is now or will be in the future a valuable collecters pistol. It does shoot just fine and is FAR better made than the plastic & zinc .22s of today. In truth, it is a fine example of gunmaking from the early 50's.

Roger