samsmix

That's about the size of it.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old February 3, 2016, 11:18 AM   #52
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Sam,
At least one participant got the reference.
Denis"

I got it. I just didn't want to go there.

And, we're straying off topic, guys. Let's bring it back.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 3, 2016, 11:23 AM   #53
samsmix

Hmmm....you know buckshot is always described as .38 or 9mm, but it is really .33 in it's "00" form...strike that, maybe this belongs on the .32NAA thread.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old February 3, 2016, 12:16 PM   #54
CaptainO

For at least 90 years, from the late 19th Century through the mid to late 20th (1880-1972) the .32 caliber revolvers were quite popular. Why? Power wasn't everything. Both men and women realized this. As my father used to say, "All the power in the world is useless unless you can put it somewhere".

The .32 Long rode in the peacoat pockets of many a sailor as well as the bomber jacket pockets of plenty of Army Air Corps "flyboys". The originals were made on the underestimated, but widely sold, S&W "I" frame (manufactured until 1960). If you can find an S&W "I" frame, you can see precisely how handy the little revolvers are. I have an early sample of S&W's efforts in this regard. i also have a Taurus Model 74 (built in the early '70's) that handles like a dream. Light, fast and accurate. i can put those .312" 98-grain pills right where i want and not so much as bat an eyelash!

Maybe Teddy Roosevelt was onto something.

Last edited by CaptainO; February 3, 2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old February 3, 2016, 04:32 PM   #55
DPris
Member Emeritus

Mike,
Coulda at least grinned.
An active sense of tumor lightens up the day considerably.

And, to bring it back on topic:
Old Colts is great Colts.

Howbout dem apples?
Denis
Old February 3, 2016, 04:54 PM   #56
DPris
Member Emeritus

A laugh a day keeps the Grinch away?
Come on- work with me.
Denis
Old February 3, 2016, 07:23 PM   #57
Clark

I buy guns and don't even test fire most of them.

But a 1920s Colt pocket positive in 32 S&W long I will shoot.

Part of the joy of owning them is the insides are like a handbuilt clock.

The weak spots are the forcing cone and the grips.
On many I have welded up the forcing cone and re cut it. They are strong then.
The grips I am finding on Ebay. Authentic grips for old Colts can be insanely expensive, but there are cheap reproductions and aftermarket grips.... And you can make your own.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 4, 2016, 08:02 AM   #58
Mike Irwin
Staff

"If you can find an S&W "I" frame, you can see precisely how handy the little revolvers are."

Like this circa 1920 Regulation Police in front of its big brother, a circa 1925 M&P Hand Ejector...

And for continuity's sake, here's an equally small circa 1935 Colt Police Positive in .32 Police...

And, my circa 1972 Model 30-1...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 4, 2016, 11:25 PM   #59
CaptainO

I adore the .32 S&W Long/Colt New Police. They are effective, deadly and accurate. I can whip up a S&W in .32 S&W Long and plant six rounds where I want "tout suite".

Before you know it the object of this exercise is either severely, (or mortally) wounded, or very dead. Let's be honest the introduction of 588 grains of lead in someone's head is not conducive to either good health or survival.

It worked formy daddy, and I'm certain that it would work for me or anyone else that possesses a cool head and can place the bullets where they are needed. That's what is required.
Old February 4, 2016, 11:39 PM   #60
CaptainO

Here's a good read:

This is a good summary of the .32 Long/Colt New Police performance levels.

www.lasc.us/fryxellthe32s-wlong.htm

Enjoy!
Old February 5, 2016, 12:25 AM   #61
ThomasT

CaptainO thanks for that article. I have always like that author. I have several 32s and 32 magnums and love shooting them. Of course I reload for them and cast a couple of different lead bullets. I was even lucky enough to pick up a Marlin 1894 in 32 mag when they came out.

My buddy has an I frame 32. I think it has a 3" barrel. It is a tiny little thing. My holy grail gun for many years was a S&W model 631. I finally found one for a price I could afford. Stainless Steel with a 4" barrel and adjustable sights. But you know whats funny? I still like my two Ruger single sixes in 32 mag better. Mine are the adjustable sighted ones with a 5.5" barrels. I have one each for my two sons. But they have to wait till I croak before they can get them.

This might be the sheriff mentioned earlier that liked the 32 long. Read the last paragraph. The rest of the article is worth reading too.

http://www.gunblast.com/WBell_SW32s.htm
Old February 5, 2016, 12:59 AM   #62
RodTheWrench

I LOVE the 32 S&W Long! Fires straight and true from my SP101 in 327 Fed Magnum. but of course so do a number of other flavors from the same gun.
Old February 5, 2016, 02:47 AM   #63
CaptainO

Heck, I have been in love with the .312" projectiles for a loong time. My little 2" barreled Hammerless Airweight nickeled .32 Magnum is, and can often be, the greatest little six-shot "comfort" in a small package!

My little H&R Model 733 is a neat little 2 1/2" barreled piece of "underarm protection" for a low price. The .32 Long isn't a bad PD round when things go to hell at "bad breath" ranges. My Taurus Model 74 is "dead nuts" accurate, but the DA trigger pull makes it a "man's revolver". It was made in Brazil on old Smith and Wesson tooling bought from the firm when they quit making their "I" frame revolvers. I still love it (and will never let it out of my hot little mitts).
Old February 5, 2016, 04:07 PM   #64
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Fryxell article has the history a bit confused. The .32 S&W (not the .32 S&W Long) dates to 1878. The Model 1 1/2 is chambered for the .32 RIMFIRE, not the .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long, which are centerfire cartridges. That is about as far as I got; I am not sure I trust the rest if the writer doesn't even know what cartridges he is talking about.

Jim
Old February 5, 2016, 04:48 PM   #65
CaptainO

Charter Arms makes their 2" barreled "Undercoverette" in .32 H&R Magnum and it performs quite well with .32 Long ammunition. The people that "undersell" the .32 Long/H&R Magnum/.327 Federal Magnum have no idea of how effective they really are. I am considering ordering a new "Undercoverette" in stainless steel in 2017. (I have other things on the "front burner" for now). Besides, I already have a 2" barreled Airweight Hammerless at my disposal. It works, and darned well I might add!

Last edited by CaptainO; February 5, 2016 at 06:22 PM.