The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 10, 2013, 09:12 PM   #1
monkeyfist

Got my CT gun permit!!! Now what?

Anybody here with a CT permit? The local trooper called and said my temporary carry permit is in. I'm picking it up tomorrow!

Anyway, it's a temp permit. I still don't really understand the process. So can I go right away and apply for my permanent permit? The temp permit is good for 60 days. Do I have to wait once I go to the barracks, or do I just show them my temp permit and they issue me a permanent one right there? Or do they mail it to me?

God this is dumb. Why don't they just give me a permanent permit in the first place?
Old September 11, 2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations!

Once you get your permit, take some time to learn the CC laws in your jurisdiction. Handgunlaw.us does an excellent job of compiling the laws of the various states: http://handgunlaw.us/
Old September 11, 2013, 09:36 AM   #3
MK11

You can immediately request the state permit application, which is just a formality once you get the temp permit.

Even before the latest round of bans and regulations, CT had some hard-to-define weirdness. It's considered a shall-issue state but the temporary permit process allows local jurisdictions to deny if they so choose. Open carry is also technically legal in CT, but you will most likely be arrested if you try.

Supposedly the temporary permit process is being phased out.
Old September 11, 2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Erikbal

Re: Got my CT gun permit!!! Now what?

Congratulations!
Old September 11, 2013, 01:22 PM   #5
tomrkba

TRAINING

1) 2 day basic defensive handgun course
2) Overview of lethal force and CT laws
3) Verbal conflict deescalation
Old September 11, 2013, 03:54 PM   #6
monkeyfist

Thanks guys. I definitely need some training. I just don't get the whole temporary license vs. permanent one. The guidelines on CT's website are far from clear (surprise). So I can just immediately go get my permanent permit now? No waiting period with the temp permit? Can they deny my permanent permit after giving me a temp one? Do they give me my permit right there and then, or do I have another waiting period?
Old September 11, 2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Waspinator

Go to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit (SLFU) main office at State Police Headquarters, 1111 Country Club Road, Middletown, CT. Bring your temp permit, two forms of ID (drivers license and birth certificate) and a check, or cash, for $70.

When you get there you have to go through a metal detector (so leave your pocket knife at home or in the car if you have one ). they will direct you to the proper area. Get in line (there will be one, believe me). While in line there will be a basket with a form you have to fill out and pens, grab one a fill it out while you wait.

Get to the front of the line. Hand over your temp permit, the form you filled out and your two forms of ID. Take your picture right there in line. Wait a minute or two for the ID to be made, pay them and walk out with your new ID.

(Just went through this a couple of months ago... and yes, during the whole process in CT I didn't really know if I was doing anything correctly.. its all so confusing they way they lay it out)
Old September 11, 2013, 07:30 PM   #8
ebell46

with you temp permit you can go to where "Waspinator" said or state police troop "g" in bridgeport if it is more convenient, its basically the same process although when I got mine about a year ago there was no metal detectors although that was pre-Newtown so there might be now.
Old September 11, 2013, 07:38 PM   #9
Tom Servo
Staff

The OP is asking specific procedural questions. There is no need to clutter up the thread with tangential political noise. Posts have been deleted accordingly.
Old September 12, 2013, 05:40 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Waspinator is absolutely correct. I know three Connecticut residents who recently got their permits, and the process he describes is exactly how they described it. All the background checks have already been done, so you walk out with your permanent (for five years) permit right on the spot. One of my friends went directly from his local PD, when he picked up his "temporary state permit" to the State Police HQ and converted the temporary to the permanent within two hours of having picked up the temporary.
Old September 13, 2013, 01:26 AM   #11
Elerius

There should be no reason you wouldn't get your permanent permit after being issued the temporary one. As stated it shouldn't be more hen an hour or two if there's a line.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, you CAN'T buy a gun with the temporary permit. The Norwich PD clerk told me I could. When I asked at the State office when getting the real permit, the guy said "I don't know why they keep telling people people that, but don't try."
Old September 16, 2013, 03:07 PM   #12
monkeyfist

You guys were right, it was painless! The longest part was the drive there. I was in and out within 15 minutes with only 1 person ahead of me. This was Litchfield though. They do it one week out of every month. The person that walked in after me said 5 years ago this place had cars lined up down their driveway and they had to turn people away. Glad things have changed for the better! Just 70 more bucks and I now have my permanent permit.

All-in-all it was pretty painless. I never met the town cop, and just exchanged a few voice mails. I never needed 3 references or anything other than what the state required.

Anyway, with permit in hand still warm from the machine I drove right to the range and rented a Glock 19. Fired off 100 rounds. Cost me 125 bucks. I can see this is gonna be another expensive hobby!

Last edited by monkeyfist; September 16, 2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old September 16, 2013, 04:28 PM   #13
Pilot

This is just a permit to buy a gun, not carry it, correct?
Old September 16, 2013, 04:45 PM   #14
monkeyfist

Buy and carry. I can theoretically open carry.
Old September 17, 2013, 01:53 PM   #15
Erikbal

Re: Got my CT gun permit!!! Now what?

Can you conceal carry as well or just open carry?
Old September 17, 2013, 05:10 PM   #16
monkeyfist

Either, though open carry is pretty much frowned upon.
Old September 17, 2013, 05:24 PM   #17
RussB

You can not open carry in CT. Read the law carefully!
Old September 17, 2013, 08:30 PM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB
You can not open carry in CT. Read the law carefully!
I respectfully suggest that you follow your own advice and read the law ... carefully. Open carry IS legal in Connecticut, and an advisory confirming that was sent to all local PDs in the state by the Connecticut State Police just a few weeks ago.

The legislature considered changing that with the massive gun grab law that was enacted in April, but that change didn't make the cut. Open carry was and still is legal in Connecticut.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/connecticut.pdf

Scroll down about half way and you'll find this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgunlaw.us
Open Carry (Without A Valid Permit/License)

Open Carry is legal but you must have a Connecticut Permit to Carry to Open Carry in Connecticut. From all I can find out Open Carry is not a common practice in Connecticut. Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above apply to those who open carry. When open carrying, be prepared for Police Officers to question you as open carrying firearm gets their attention. Connecticut does not have preemption and Cities and Counties may have Laws/Ordinances against Open Carry.

This is not the last word on Open Carry in this state. Check at www.opencarry.org or go to Google and type in State Name Open Carry or Open Carry State Name for a search for open carry info in this state. Check with the State's RKBA Organization/s. Also see “Attorney General Opinions/Court Cases” Section for any written opinions/Cases on Open Carry.
Old September 17, 2013, 08:31 PM   #19
RussB

I stand corrected! Thank you
Old September 17, 2013, 09:43 PM   #20
orionengnr

God Bless you.

I was born and raised in CT, and in my childhood, many people owned (and some legally carried) firearms.
Since I left (in 1976) I have known friends who had carry permits...back then, it was a formality. More recently, all of them have left for friendlier ground.

I salute you for standing and fighting.

I hope that you continue to act within your legal rights, and share with your neighbors.

In my retirement years I would love to return to my birthplace...but as of today, that is highly doubtful.

My hat is off to you and those like you who pave the way...

Best regards, Rich