The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 11, 2000, 11:25 AM   #1
madkiwi

I am thinking about protecting my cannot-be-replaced Kalifornia ARs. I had a look at a Homak gun "safe", and pretty much said forget it. I could open that with a sharp can-opener!

High end types seemed to start around $1000.

So I started looking around, and found a Sentry safe, 55x17x17.5", door and sides are 1/8" hardened steel, door is recessed, concealed hinges, has 3 x 1" locking bolts and is keyed. Safesmith.com has them for $459.99, which was better, until I found Dean Security Safe Co. They have a safe that looks exactly like the Sentry model, their part no is S2210, Sentry call theirs the R2210. (They also sell another model, the S3910 which has 5 locking bolts, is slightly wider, and has a combination lock, Sentry has one that also looks identical called the R3910) Everything is identical, except Dean's does not have "Sentry" written on the door (they only say "Made by a major manufacturer") and they are selling it for $299. (The S3910 is $399)

Does anyone have one of these (either Sentry or the Dean model 2210) and can you tell me if they are good enough for home use? More important, can anyone confirm my conclusion that the Sentry and Dean's safes are one and the same?

Madkiwi
Old October 11, 2000, 01:49 PM   #2
M1911

I can't comment on those safes, as I've never looked at them. But you might want to check out the rec.guns faq section on gun safes:
http://www.recguns.com/OutXIIIb.html

M1911
Old October 11, 2000, 02:58 PM   #3
KA3N

I just bought a Homark cheapie safe on Saturday (Kmart, $89). I would imagine that a screwdriver and hammer would open it with a little effort, as the sections are only spot welded together.

My purpose wasn't to keep out burglars, but rather to keep my handguns and bulk ammo away from my kids (10 & 11 yrs old) and all their friends.

I bought a handle for the door, black laminated shelving and brackets and filled it with shelves. (another $55) It's also fastened to my basement wall with masonary screws.

The Goldenrod I ordered from Brownells over the weekend just arrived today. (another $42)

So for $186 total, I feel relieved knowing that my kids can't get to (most of) my guns.

Two sets of handcuffs for the kids would have been much cheaper!
Old October 11, 2000, 03:27 PM   #4
M1911

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KA3N:

Two sets of handcuffs for the kids would have been much cheaper!
[/quote]

LOL. At least until the missus got her hands on you

M1911
Old October 12, 2000, 09:34 AM   #5
Joe 543

You said ARs(plural). You said cannot-be-replaced. Then you referenced $1000.00 being too expensive. Take a step back and look at the big picture here. One of your ARs would probably pay for the safe itself. Don't settle on something that will last a lifetime. That said I have an AMSEC safe($6-800.00) for my weapons. I also put as much ammo(everything from dove-duck-deer-defense)as I could fit into it. I still have room for valuables, important papers, etc..... It would take a forklift to move that thing. I also put it in a closet where its out of sight.

How do you think criminals get their guns? Not from walking into your local gun store. THEY STEAL THEM!!!!!!!

Don't skimp on something this important!
Old October 12, 2000, 02:35 PM   #6
madkiwi

Joe 543,

I know where you are going, and I am not intending to short-change myself on security. However, I am continually on the hunt for the best possible deal on anything I buy, and my point was: The choices seem to be between cheap, glorified filing cabinets that MIGHT keep out a curious child, and super-duper monoliths. Prices were &lt;$200 OR $800+. I was just wondering what happened to the middle ground.

I think Sentry have a good product- it is solid, 10 ga. hardened steel, 1" locking bolts. It is not fire proof, but my home has sprinklers, including inside the locking closet where I will be anchoring the safe to the wall. In the event of damage it is acceptable to have the firearm rebuilt, the factory will destroy the damaged receiver and use the same serial no. on the replacement piece.

Another consideration is that within a few years my fiance and I are going to leave this civil-rights forsaken place and move to a state where freedom is still cherished. So a 600# safe could be a logistical problem.

I was just hoping to confirm that the Dean's safe is a private-label version of the Sentry, if it is then I would save money on the "generic" version while retaining the features of the original.

Madkiwi
Old October 13, 2000, 08:43 AM   #7
Joe 543

madkiwi, Texas is nice!
Old October 14, 2000, 01:29 AM   #8
Joe Klug

Madkiwi,

I know you've probably heard it before, but take it from someone that knows......buy the biggest and best safe you can the first time. You won't be sorry and you won't feel the need to replace it a year later because you've either outgrown it or want better security.

I ended up going with a Cannon safe that is 40" wide, 26" deep and 74" tall. It has a good fire rating and an electronic lock for easy access. It weighs in at 950# and with another 500# or so of stuff in it no one is going to carry it out the door. At about $1.8K it was more expensive than I was planning for but since this is something I plan to buy only once I felt it was well worth it. That and the fact that the cost of the safe isn't close to half of the replacement cost of the items it protects I call it good insurance.

Just something to think about.

Joe/Ga
Old October 14, 2000, 09:10 AM   #9
M1911

Gotta agree with Joe Klug on this. Figure out how many guns you think you will ever own. Then buy a safe at least twice as big. That way, you won't have to buy a second safe for 10 years, rather than 5.

My safe has room for one more long gun. So it's time for another safe...

M1911
Old October 14, 2000, 05:51 PM   #10
Karanas

I agree w/Joe also.
I finally broke down last year and bought the biggest safe Liberty makes.
I could have bought a lot of nice new guns & ammo with what that set me back. I have never regretted the decision. Wish I had done it sooner.