The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 21, 2009, 03:59 PM   #1
pwner50

Non resident long gun purchase

Hey guys, I did some research and my basic idea of buying long guns out of state is that it is allowed. I live in NY, and the closest gun store is across the border in CT. Is it difficult to buy from another state? I called the store, and all they said was "it is much easier to buy it in your own state" and "it is a complex process." Thats all they kept saying when I asked questions. What do I have to go through to but a long gun from a neighboring state?

much appreciated
Old March 21, 2009, 11:17 PM   #2
Jekyll

I have purchased long guns in NY as a PA resident. It is NO MORE DIFFICULT than buying in PA. Same federal forms to complete.
Old March 23, 2009, 03:40 PM   #3
NavyLT

The seller must comply with both their own state laws and the state laws of the buyer. Some states that have extra waiting periods, state level background checks, etc., that could make things complicated. Luckily, most of those extra restrictions apply only to handguns, and only long gun out of state sales are legal. New York just brings the heebie jeebies to gun folks as does California and Massachusettes.