The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 9, 2005, 08:34 PM   #1
38splfan

Star BM suggestions.

A freind and I each purchased one of these this week and, as with all new guns, we have some questions.

1- how similar is the action to the 1911?
2- are there any trouble areas that should be focused on before firing?
3- are there any good sources for parts? (Numrich seems to be sold out of just about everything lately)
4-Does this firearm have any persnickety cleaning/maintenance issues we should know about?

I posted this on the gunsmith forum because many of these are maintenance/mechanically related questions.
I hope y'all can help.
Old January 9, 2005, 09:39 PM   #2
XavierBreath

1- how similar is the action to the 1911?
It's not. If anything, it's similar to the Beretta 1934.

2- are there any trouble areas that should be focused on before firing?
Do not carry in Condition 2, ever. The firing pin will be resting on the primer. It protrudes past the breech face with the hammer down.

3- are there any good sources for parts? (Numrich seems to be sold out of just about everything lately)
Not really. What ever you do, don't order those "walnut" grips from Numrich. I made that mistake. I could have made nicer grips with a chunk of pine and a bottlecap to carve them with.

4-Does this firearm have any persnickety cleaning/maintenance issues we should know about?
I do not dry fire without a snap cap. I recall reading somewhere the firing pins are brittle. At any rate, if you break the firing pin, you're out of luck.

My Star BM Review
Old January 9, 2005, 10:18 PM   #3
Handy

1. Depends what you mean by "action". The trigger and safety are different, but overall the gun works like a 1911. That Beretta, by contrast, is a fixed barrel blowback, not tilting barrel recoil like a 1911.

2. Xavier's info is contrary to everything I've ever heard about these guns. Earlier Star's had full length firing pins, but the BMs have short inertial firing pins and a spring. It is easy to test: With the slide off, push the firing pin in flush to the back of the slide as the hammer would. Is the pin protruding from the breech face?

3. Here's one: http://www.gun-parts.com/star/ They at least have replacement pins. So maybe you're not out of luck.

4. These were boringly simple police guns. If anything, the steels are very modern, but that isn't a safety or care issue. They are just simple steel guns with a good price. Enjoy.
Old January 9, 2005, 11:16 PM   #4
XavierBreath

Quote:
1. Depends what you mean by "action". The trigger and safety are different, but overall the gun works like a 1911. That Beretta, by contrast, is a fixed barrel blowback, not tilting barrel recoil like a 1911.
The sear is tripped by a drawbar. The drawbar is moved by a pivoting trigger. That is what I am getting at. True, it has a tilting barrel, but so does a USP, the Hi Power and a lot of other pistols. The Star BM might look kinda like a 1911, but it is not a 1911. It is not even a copy. It's still a good gun though.

Quote:
2. Xavier's info is contrary to everything I've ever heard about these guns. Earlier Star's had full length firing pins, but the BMs have short inertial firing pins and a spring. It is easy to test: With the slide off, push the firing pin in flush to the back of the slide as the hammer would. Is the pin protruding from the breech face?
Handy is usually right, and he's proven me wrong on the last couple of threads......But this time I've got him! I just pulled my Star BM out of the safe, did the check to make sure, and yes, the firing pin protrudes.
Gotcha Handy!
Old January 9, 2005, 11:57 PM   #5
Handy

So I learned something. Thanks.