The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 4, 2010, 10:30 PM   #1
sewerdude

Mossberg 835. Which size slugs to use???

Hello all,
This is my first time on here. Great site, alot of info on here! \
My question is: I just bought a new Mossberg 835 waterfowl/deer combo over the weekend. The deer barrel is rifled. I'm alittle confused about what size slug shells to use in the slug barrel. I read on another site that you "have" to use a 3.5 inch slug in the 835 not a 2 3/4 or a 3 inch. Because of the gap in the chamber with the two smaller shells.
Is this true? I do know that the 3.5 slugs are pricey and I would like to use the 3 inch if all possible. I'm not sure how available the 3.5 inch would be. Did I buy a gun that I can only shoot the 3.5 in? Thanks and I hope to learn alot on here.
Old January 5, 2010, 06:56 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Use 2 3/4" slugs if possible. Your shoulder will thank you.

And yes, you can use the shorter slugs. Accuracy will not be compromised.

Downrange, I've not seen any actual difference in performance.
Old January 5, 2010, 08:14 AM   #3
sewerdude

Thanks Dave. Thats good news to me. I wonder if all the talk about only using 3.5 inch slugs in 3.5 inch cambers are just rumors ? I know not to use slugs in the 3.5 Mossberg 835 field barrel as it is overbored. But I got the combo that came with a full rifled barrel. Thanks again
Old January 5, 2010, 08:35 AM   #4
rantingredneck

Look on the side of your slug barrel. You should see something like "Chambered for 2 3/4", 3" and 3 1/2" shells". Therein lies your answer.

And yes, as Dave said your shoulder will thank you for using 2 3/4" shells.

I have a Mossberg 835 with a regular 24" Accumag field barrel. I don't shoot it much anymore. One of my nephews is enamored of the "Three and a Half" and likes to deer hunt with it using 3 1/2" 00 buckshot.

He's young, he'll learn.........

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 5, 2010, 03:14 PM   #5
zippy13

Greetings sewerdude, and welcome aboard.

Just in case you are unaware, for your rifled slug barrel, you'll want to get some sabot type slugs. Sorry, they are more $$ than standard slugs; but, the rifled slugs barrels are designed to perform with sabots.
Old January 5, 2010, 03:20 PM   #6
jmr40

I'm no slug shooting expert, but if the barrel is rifled I think you would be better using the sabot slugs. Regular slugs are better used in smooth bore barrels if I understand right. At any rate the shorter 2 3/4" length should be fine.
Old January 5, 2010, 11:05 PM   #7
sewerdude

Thanks, thats good news to me....I was hoping I could use 2 3/4 or 3 inch slugs...........and yes, I plan on using sabot slugs...Not sure what kind....any suggestions?
Old January 5, 2010, 11:58 PM   #8
Bassopotamus

I'm interested to see what people have to say for recs, as I'm in the same boat. FWIW, a quick search didn't turn up any 3.5 inch sabot slugs.
Old January 6, 2010, 09:00 AM   #9
rantingredneck

Quote:
FWIW, a quick search didn't turn up any 3.5 inch sabot slugs.
Only ones I've ever personally seen were made by Lightfield (Hybred EXP?). Never personally purchased or shot any though.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 6, 2010, 10:41 PM   #10
sewerdude

Yes, Lightfield is all I found also in the 3.5 inch slugs. I think I'm going to go witht the 3 inch. My barrel does say 2 3/4, 3 , 3.5 inch on it (slug barrel). But I read some things about using anything smaller in a search. So, thats why I'm asking. I want it to be as accurate as possible. I read some good things about the Rem Buckhammers . I'm kinda of concerned about the leading in the rifling though using those slugs....They sure did get good reviews though.
Old January 7, 2010, 01:55 AM   #11
zippy13

Sewerdude,
I'm not a sabot shooter; but, from past postings the consensus is, there's no one best or most accurate sabot. Each gun/barrel may have it's favorite. For more info about sabots, check out: http://www.slugshooter.com/