The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 3, 2009, 12:06 PM   #26
kjm

Thanks

I believe that this weekend we will work on his shooting lefty. Strange enough, I have no idea how to shoot that way since I am so dominant on the RH side. It takes a bit of fumbling. If he is to shoot lefty, I will purchase him rifles that are lefty.

You guys have been a lot of help. Thank you so much!
Old March 3, 2009, 02:11 PM   #27
PetahW

[If he is to shoot lefty, I will purchase him rifles that are lefty.]

There is no need to, at this point, as youngsters are resilient, and can readily adapt to shooting just about anything - IF the desire is there.

My son started out on a bolt action, then a 10/22 that I never told him was a repeater.

As my son got older, he stayed with semi autos, in rifles and shotguns - on some of which I installed LH safeties - but he also likes single-shot rifles like the T/C Encore ProHunter 2-barrel setup, he bought for himself last year.

Your son may/may not do the same, but in any event deserves to choose for himself - as it will re-inforce his self-esteem and decisiveness as he comes of age.

Old March 3, 2009, 02:13 PM   #28
Housezealot

I had the same problem growing up, My dad tried to make me tough it out right handed and I shot horrribly. as soon as I started shooting lefty I improved a ton. when I got older I learned to shoot right handed as well and do ok. IMHO just let him do what feels natural, Give him some safety glasses and let him run around with a soft air rifle and he will figure it out on his own while you observe, I figured it out running around the neighborhood with a bb gun.(those were the days!) Just my opinion but i thought it might help
Old March 3, 2009, 02:16 PM   #29
vranasaurus

Don't purchase lefty guns. Shooting LH with RH guns is no problem. The only difficulty is operating a bolt action and has been pointed out it just takes a bit of practice to get that down.

On most guns the safety can be changed over to operate left handed.
Old March 3, 2009, 02:38 PM   #30
Housezealot

I agree the only rifle I have ever had trouble shooting lefty is a mini 14 and THAT was a painful mistake. also I bet a bull pup would be a serious mistake!
Old March 3, 2009, 02:59 PM   #31
CarbineCaleb

Quote:
I took my 9 year old shooting today. I discovered something strange, but probably not uncommon. He is right handed and left eye dominant. If he lays his head in a wierd angle to the stock, he can knock cans down all day. If he shoots like I do, he can't hit the broad side of a barn.
I have the same issue, and I learned early to switch over from the natural hold and shoot a long gun left-handed. It took a little while, but not long, for me to get used to it, and within a month the gun would just come up naturally to the left shoulder due to "muscle memory".

I'd suggest a little patience and a .22 for cheap practice, and see what a month or so of left-handed shouldering and shooting can't do. He needs reptition, not caliber, to get it down. It won't be natural at first, but it's not nearly as difficult a motion as say throwing a football or swinging a tennis racket, so it's really not that bad to adjust to the other hand.
Old March 3, 2009, 03:03 PM   #32
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
Don't purchase lefty guns. Shooting LH with RH guns is no problem. The only difficulty is operating a bolt action and has been pointed out it just takes a bit of practice to get that down.

On most guns the safety can be changed over to operate left handed.
Doesn't really work with an 1100 and other guns... The whole powder and gases in the face thing just isn't fun.... Buy him a left handed gun....
Old March 3, 2009, 09:31 PM   #33
mdThanatos

At 26 I still have issues with my RH/LE dominance. It never bothered me because I have terrible vision and have always used scopes on rifles and either squinted or closed my left eye(Self-taught shooter essentially and haven't met others in person with my dilemma). When I got into CAS for some reason it really became apparent that my left eye was the dominant one when I was shooting pistols and since I have shot rifles for the past 12 years right handed, it is just easier for me to shoot rifles and shotguns righty and pistols with my right hand but my head kinda cocked. Since he is young and you identified this I would recommend that if he really wants to use his left eye have him shoot lefty cause I know I wish I had learned that way.
Old March 4, 2009, 08:37 AM   #34
vranasaurus

Quote:
Doesn't really work with an 1100 and other guns... The whole powder and gases in the face thing just isn't fun.... Buy him a left handed gun....
I have never had a problem with gases and powder in RH guns. I shoot semi-autos almost exclusively. I have owned and fired a RH SBE, AR15, SP10, and BAR and never had an issue.

I stand by my advice.