The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 13, 1999, 12:58 AM   #1
WinMag

Can anyone tell me how (if its possible) to adjust elevation (higher) on my scope rings? I recently bought a new scope for my 10/22 and with the scope set at "0-0" it is shooting about a 1-1/2feet low at 25yds. I am able to make internal elevation adjustments with the scope. However, with the rifle zeroed at 50yds it does not allow me much more room to adjust elevation "up" for 100-150yds. I have finger adjustable turrets (1/8MOA) on my scope. According to the instructions that came with the scope, it states that "if more than a few turns are required to internally adjust to zero the scope...a qualified gunsmith may need to make mounting adjustments in order to get the most out of it".
I have rings made by "Millet". I noticed that it came with what looked like strips of tape. Do these strips go inside the rings for minor external adjustments? Also would this provide unecessary torque on my scope?

Any help would be appreciated,
WinMag
Old December 13, 1999, 02:23 AM   #2
WinMag

OK...did some research...where do I install the shims? I understand they go under the base inbetween the base and the receiver? If I want to "raise" the point of impact...do I put a shim under the base at the front only, or put the shim under the entire base so it raises the entire base evenly? Also, what do I use for shim material?

Thanks,
WinMag
Old December 13, 1999, 12:54 PM   #3
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

I'll try and answer but I probably won't be much help.

The shims go in the rings btwn the base and the scope. You do not put the shims btwn the receiver and the mounts... attach the mounts normally.

I believe you can get shims from Brownells in differenct sizes. There is also some formula to figure out what size shim you need for the desired point of impact shift.

Hopefully someone who has done this will be able to provide more info. Unfortunitly (?!) I haven't needed to go this route.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Old December 13, 1999, 03:50 PM   #4
BigG

22 long rifle is strictly a 50 yard proposition. If you can shoot at 100 or 150 it's new to me.

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

Old December 13, 1999, 06:16 PM   #5
WinMag

Dave.....Thanks for the help! I'll look it up on the Brownells website.

Big G....Believe it or not I am able to shoot sub MOA groupings at 100yds, simply by aiming at a fixed point 8inches above center mass. I regularly shoot .22 brass at 50yds with no problem (scope is cranked to x24 and shooting off a sandbag). I would however like to be able to use my scope to its fullest potential by raising my point of impact using shims and have the most room left on my scope for upper elevation adjustments. My .22 is a standard Ruger 10/22T with a bbl. The only modification I made was putting a high powered scope on it.

Last question for you experts out there...When using shims between the rings and the base...and I want to raise the point of impact...Do I put shims under the front AND back ring or just the front? (therby raising the rings evenly)?

Thanks,
WinMag
Old December 13, 1999, 10:38 PM   #6
swifter...

Winmag,
If you want to raise your POI, raise the rear sight. In shimming, shim between the mount base and the receiver when possible, under the bottom of the ring - where it touches the receiver - on a Ruger and others that have built-in mounts.
Or check and see if you can use Burris Signature rings. Burris tells me you can get up to 20 MOA more elevation with the kit that has different size inserts.

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...

Old December 14, 1999, 01:46 PM   #7
WinMag

Swifter,

Thanks for the good info. Just one question though (help me understand this concept). If I want to raise my point of impact I shim the rear? Wouldn't this point the scope further down, thereby causing a further (higher) elevation adjustment to the scope when zeroing?
Also, my Millet rings came with what looks like hard rubber shims with an adhesive backing. It almost looks like they would fit inside the rings. If I put one of these on the rear ring only (inside), would it cause undue stress on the scope body when I tighten it down since the front one does not have one? Or are these things designed to go in the rings (both front and back) to protect the scope body from scratches...etc? I know you stated that it is better to shim under the base between the reciever, what do you do for the space the shims cause when installing on one side only?

Thanks,
WinMag
Old December 14, 1999, 01:57 PM   #8
WinMag

I just had a revelation and got the concept of raising the rear of the scope to meet the low shot my rifle is firing....But, still confused on my second question regarding the rubber looking shims that came with my millet rings.

Thanks,
WinMag
Old December 17, 1999, 01:16 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Me thinks those rubber shims are to protect your scope body from ugly scratches. I use an aluminum can for shimming my Rem 700. My instructor use to use business cards. Go with the beer/soda of your choice.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old December 20, 1999, 01:27 AM   #10
skeeter

Seems like a lot of 10/22 owners have the same problem. My 10/22T with Weaver V24 ( 6x24x42AO) ran out of elevation by 5 inches at 75 feet. I didn't like spending the money but I bought a set of Burris adjustable rings. Think they are called Posi-Align and Leopold makes a mount for them and the 10/22. They have inserts that are labelled 0,0 and -5,+5 and -10,+10 . Using a combination of these internal ring shims you can get another 20 inches of elevation (and windage ) at 100 yards. A soda can shim which is about .003" changes elevation by three inches at 100
yards. Each .001" shim means 1" change at 100 yards. The hard rubber inserts hold the scope about twice as firmly as with metal to metal contact. The plastic under compression fills in the microscopic voids better than metal which does not flow like plastic. Also if you use the scope on other rifles you will not see any ring marks on the scope tube with plastic inserts.