The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 28, 2001, 08:25 PM   #1
weagle

rem trigger/safety problem please help

I bought a remington 660 in 350 mag last year. It was very dirty as it had been standing in a closet for 25 years, but after cleaning it up it looked like new. I also took the action out of the stock and thoroughly cleaned the trigger and bolt assembly. I had heard that there was a problem with the safety on these guns but I tested it over and over while I was sighting it in and never had a problem.

Today I was going hunting and as I am paranoid about safety I once again closed the bolt, engaged the safety, pulled the trigger a couple of times and disengaged the safety. CLICK!!! The firing pin dropped when I disengaged the safety. I tried it several more times and each time I pushed the safety off the firing pin fell.

Can I buy an after market trigger like a timney and resolve this problem, or do I have to send it to remington. I have other deer rifles, but I was really looking forward to trying out the 350 mag. Thanks, Weagle
Old October 28, 2001, 11:05 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Possible problems:
1. Somebody adjusted the trigger, and adjusted it too much.
Try resetting the trigger adjustment screws.

2. Trigger assemble is still gummed up. Try soaking in solvent.

3. Don't pull the trigger on a safetied gun. Althought it still
shouldn't have dropped the firing pin, this is not a good
practice.

4. Trigger group is damaged/defective.

Usually, when a Remington does this, it's because somebody was playing around trying to improve the trigger, and "improved" it too much. As I recall, you will need to take the action out of the stock to get at all the trigger adjustment screws. I haven't done this in years, but back the screws in/out and readjust it properly. Usually the culprit is the sear engagement screw. There is a small window in the trigger plate that lets you view the engagement.
Old October 29, 2001, 06:27 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Weagle, I'd contact Remington. If they'll fix/replace it for free then I'd go that route. If not I'd replace with an aftermarket or have a smith adjust the trigger for you. George
Old October 30, 2001, 12:30 PM   #4
weagle

Thanks, I have emailed Remington through their websit. They promise a responce within 2 business days, so I will wait to see what they say before I do anything else. Weagle