The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 6, 2016, 03:53 PM   #26
Gunplummer

Maybe went in with a reamer that was under size of the first reamer. Now have a "Bend" in the chamber. I dunno, it takes a heck of a lot of scratches to stop extraction. If you lift the bolt handle on most bolt actions, the extraction process has already started. That is what cams the case loose. (I know this from experience. When I was younger, I got the idea to remove the cam areas on a receiver-Long story). Anyway, you said the bolt handle lifts easily. What is up with that?
Old March 6, 2016, 08:08 PM   #27
603Country

I'd take the gun back to the Smith and get him to have a good look. Something isn't right, and I'm thinking it might be the chamber. And maybe it's a combination of the chamber and over pressure.

I had a rifle rebarreled a short while back. I started load work ups and was getting pressure signs at the low end of the powder charge range. I've been reloading for decades and could not figure out the problem. Took it back to the Smith and discussed the problem. Turns out that he had given me a really tight match chamber. Really tight. He opened it up a bit and all is well.
Old March 6, 2016, 10:12 PM   #28
bassrods1

Yes 603 country it will be back in his hands by Wednesday..
Old March 7, 2016, 09:15 AM   #29
603Country

After all the discussion we've had on this rifle, you are duty bound to eventually tell us what the problem was determined to be.
Old March 7, 2016, 09:52 AM   #30
F. Guffey

Quote:
I started having the sticking when I was working out my load .
I will assume while you were working 'UP' your loads you had cases that did not stick. I am the fan of 100% contact between the chamber and case. Just like new tires on a new highway. The new rough surface of the highway is going to add distance to my stopping ability. Then there is bolt lift most call bolt opening. Most bolts have a design camming action that pulls the case back as the bolt opens.

Because I want nothing between the chamber and case but air I do not have the problems created with lubed cases that slide and glide. But if I did I would clean the chamber by removing residual grease left by the slide and glide case forming.

What does that mean? Without the case locking to the chamber because of the lube when fired the case is allowed to form in both directions. I want my cases to lock onto the chamber. When my cases lock onto the chamber I control case stretch. My case stretch is confined to an area between the case head and case body. If I built the rifle the amount of stretch will be confined to (about) .003". I can maintain the same amount of stretch by measuring the length of the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face and then sized cases to off set the length of the chamber.

And then there is the other scenario, this one just about drives the reloader to the curb. There are many times my cases do not stretch.

F. Guffey
Old March 7, 2016, 12:38 PM   #31
bassrods1

I will let you all know what it was..

With out a light oil all cases would stick, some more then others..And I did clean the chamber many times, as well as the hole barrel all through the brake in..
Old March 9, 2016, 10:35 PM   #32
bassrods1

I got it shooting.

It was not too hot, but the chamber had to be polished just a little..

Not sure if pictures can be posted or how..It shot a 3/4" group 5 shots at 200yards with my load..

Many thanks to all..

bassrods
Old March 10, 2016, 10:38 AM   #33
603Country

Thanks for the feedback. We were all interested in the problem. Troubleshooting is enjoyable, particularly if it's someone else's trouble.
Old August 5, 2016, 10:42 AM   #34
Savage99

Bassrods, you wrote above:

"It was not too hot, but the chamber had to be polished just a little..
"

Your load with 4831 is way over maximum in the Hornady book and others.

It is hot, sticking and potentially dangerous!
Old August 5, 2016, 12:36 PM   #35
bassrods1

Up date on my 7 mag..Just shot at 1,000 yards and had a 6.55" group in 5 mile hour wind with Night force scope in 15x55..
Old August 5, 2016, 01:07 PM   #36
ammo.crafter

RCBS

Just a thought, are your dies correctly set?

Though the COAL measures within spec, improperly set dies will move the cartridge shoulder forward or back.

The "short" shoulder cartridge would easily drop into the chamber but after firing the cartridge can be caused to stick.
Old August 6, 2016, 04:12 PM   #37
bassrods1

If you go back you can read that the sticking has been solved and the rifle is shooting great..
Old August 6, 2016, 10:14 PM   #38
James K
Member In Memoriam

Let me see. The gunsmith "tightened the chamber" by setting the barrel back and rechambering. ("He took about 1/8" off the end of the threads and re chambered it, before that it was so long I would not reach the lands till the bullet was out of the case.")

And his reamer (or the chips) likely scored the chamber enough to cause hard extraction. You can try polishing the chamber and see if that helps.

Jim