The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 9, 2013, 12:13 PM   #1
sell682

ATI KoFs Cavalry O/U

Hello , first time posting here.

I'm looking to get into clay shooting and I came across the following O/U at my LGS.

The gun feels really good and looks great. Also it shoulders very well. Looks to be a new import and I can't find much on the net about it. Does anyone have any experience with it?

My dealer is asking $500 brand new . Like I said turkish walnut stock engraved steel receiver 28" vented barrels and comes with 5 chokes.

I probably will only go clay shooting 5 times a year so looking to get something low priced. If I like it and go more i can always upgrade guns.

Thanks in advance.

Sell
Old July 9, 2013, 12:33 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Personally, and this only based on MY experience with cheap O/U guns - you get what you pay for, and in the world of quality O/U guns, $500 does not begin to cover it. If that is your budget for occasional clay shooting, a nice semi would be more reliable. It isn't that the Turks (if they indeed made this) can't build a decent gun - they can and are getting better all the time; but even they don't make a good one at that price point. If you really want an O/U, look for a Turkish/Huglu made CZ - they should be closer to 800, however.
What makes the O/U spendy compared to pumps and semis is NOT the wood or engraving done by machine, it is the balance, barrel regulation, timed ejectors, and quality triggers - all that takes lots of labor, and labor costs money

Last edited by BigD_in_FL; July 9, 2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: clarification
Old July 9, 2013, 01:20 PM   #3
sell682

ATI KoFs Cavalry O/U

Thank you for the feedback, greatly appreciated . I like to try O/U that's the reason for going in this direction but I cannot justify to myself and more importantly my wife why I will need a 1.5 - 2k investment for a shotgun which will sit most the time.

I looked into it more and it is a Turkish gun also. Anyone with hands on experience with this particular brand would be helpful.
Old July 9, 2013, 04:57 PM   #4
pathdoc

Sell682, where are you located? Am well aware that if in Australia, O/U is legally your only option.

Your rationale sounds much the same as mine was. FWIW I elected to go for the (Turkish-made) Mossberg(-branded) Maverick Hunter O/U. Can't speak to mechanical reliability yet - too early - but it fits me well and I am certain that whatever I miss is 99% my fault. This seems to imply that the genre as a whole ($500 Turkish O/U) has something going for it, and if they can sort out the reliability issues in the long term, they may well carve themselves out a nice little niche.

That this sort of gun will not do for a day-in, day-out trap gun with huge volumes of shells passing through it is a given, but anyone who gets to that point knows they need a better gun anyway. For the beginning shooter who isn't sure how much they're going to play but for whatever reason is obliged to bring his or her own gun, it seems a good bet.
Old July 9, 2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Dreaming100Straight

Listen to BigD. I understand why you don't want to invest much if you will only shoot a few times a year, but suggest you look into getting a used semi automatic such as an older Remington 1100.
Old July 9, 2013, 06:28 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

pathdoc:

If you have a chance at your local trap/skeet/sporting clays club to do a side by side comparison by borrowing several brands from folks for a few shots, you'll see what I am talking about.

There is a reason Brownings cost about 3K, Blasers about $5K, and Perazzi and Kreighoffs now costing about $12K - it comes down to utmost reliability, perfect triggers, and in the case of Perazzi, wonderful balance.
What this boils down to someone shooting 10 boxes a year? Not much at all; but if you want to start down the addictive road of competitive clay shooting, you'll soon realize that those attributes, plus some good lessons and a lot of practice, are what separate those in first and the rest of the pack.

Not saying everyone needs to go buy a Perazzi or Kreighoff (unless you have the coin), for most of us just starting to get into comp shooting a good Browning or Beretta will suffice for many years (MY Browning O/U bought 19 years ago is approaching 300,000 shots through it and going strong) - it still balances somewhat "EH", but after all that time, I have made some adjustments - have those hurt me? Maybe yes, maybe no - as you start getting closer to the big boys, the differences become more subtle.

But, all that said, for the person just starting and wanting something RELIABLE, and on a sparser budget, it is hard to not go with a good - even used - gas gun from Remington, Beretta, possibly even Browning. They still handle reasonably decently, will go for a L O N G time without major issues and can be customized to a point to make the fit better, handle better and have a great trigger.
Old July 10, 2013, 01:24 PM   #7
sell682

ATI KoFs Cavalry O/U

Thank you all for the input
Old July 10, 2013, 05:51 PM   #8
pathdoc

Big D, thanks for your advice.

In answer: I don't get out to shoot very often, and thus far it's just been me and the manual flinger. Just about every O/U I could actually put to my shoulder in a store where I am is in the same general price category as the one I have. I have handled pumps and do not like the feel of them. I do not want a self-loader with its extra maintenance issues and possible finicky appetite if I load light or am forced to use a "dirty" powder. And if I ever move back to Australia, I cannot take a pump or autoloader back with me. This last is the overriding factor.

I got what I got with eyes wide open and accepting of the possible downside. When the rest of my life (work, family commitments, etc) eventually lets me get regular shooting time in, I can assure you I'll definitely be in the hunt for something more upmarket. For now, I think what I have is enough to let me get a taste for the sport.

Besides, SOMEONE has to be the guinea pig and see just what these guns are really capable of. Mine is fun so far, mounts well, feels great to use (recoil is not a problem for some reason), breaks clays reliably when I do things right, and I shall be sorry when it's had its day.
Old July 11, 2013, 05:30 AM   #9
Dr Killdeer

Three weeks ago I bought the Kopf Cavalry Model O/U in 12 gauge. I have a small collection of higher end shotguns, including my all time favorite Citori that I use for clays, but I was nevertheless intrigued by the Turkish Kopf. It feels good, it balances well and it shoots much better than I expected. For a featherweight gun, the recoil is surprisingly light.
(using 1 ¼ ounce of shot, 2 ¾ drams of steam.)
It’s a mechanical gun, not inertial and it has extractors, not ejectors.

I bought it to use as a loaner, because I don’t allow anybody, friends or family within three feet of my trap and skeet guns. I’m not selfish! Just protective!

So far, I only put 200 rounds through it and while it’s not a Browning, it’s still a pretty nifty trap shooter. If you’re not used to a higher end gun, you’ll be impressed all to hell with the Kopf.

As far as long term endurance is concerned….who knows? But for the casual shooter (1,000 to 2,000 rounds a year) I think it will serve the purpose very well.
Old July 11, 2013, 08:53 AM   #10
sell682

ATI KoFs Cavalry O/U

Thank you for all the input